The Official 2024 MLB Regular Season Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Apoho Creed

Making Love to my Demons
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
This is where I'm suppose to be happy on my Phillies run and I'm very much happy but the way they performed in the World Series overall is one of the worst performances I've seen from any of my Phila Teams since I started watching Sports. I would put the Phillies performance in these last 3 Games vs all those NFC Championships/SB Losses, the 2009 WS loss to the Yankees, the Flyers losing in the Stanley Cup in 2010 over them. Granted I'm in the mood so I might be off the deep end because of the loss and hurts but they showed no fight the last 3 Games. I can't let them slide on that at all just because they got all this way. If they would of showed me more and loss by crazy circumstances I would of been happy no matter what but that is the opposite what I saw in key moments during this Series especially tonight. Manager pulls Wheeler who had been dealing in this Game with a one run lead pulls him after he had guys on base with one out. Wheeler is your Ace you can't allow in a Game of this importance a guy with only 70 pitches to leave the Game and not let him figure out the mess. Let's not not even go into the numbers of how many guys the Phils left on Bases these last 3 Games alone it was probably on the upper 30s before Kyle hit the Home Run during the Game and that is criminally bad to see especially in a World Series.

Thomson showed his flaws as a Manager being outcoached by Dusty Baker I don't think he makes that move like Thomson did in Game 6. Now with how my Phillies finished this Year the Bar is set for them next Season get rid of Hoskins, add depth in the Infield and Outfield, get another good Pitcher in the Rotation and bulk up Bullpen further and hopefully you don't have breakdowns like this again if we have a chance at the Playoffs again.

Last edited:

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
This is worth sharing: Congrats to Mattress Mack on becoming a rich, happy guy!

Apoho Creed

Making Love to my Demons
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS

Free Agency starts this Week I think Thursday can't wait who see my Team gets to improve my Team.

Reactions: Doom

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Apoho Creed

Making Love to my Demons
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
That 1 Year Deal must be high money for Kershaw who probably could of gotten a mega deal with someone else. Verlander helps the Astros win the World Series and become a Free Agent should be interesting if anyone bites on his Services.

Matrix

We're All Just Weird Kids In The End
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
qGS2CaC
So the Mets did it again, they're making themselves a meme again. They will be paying Edwin Diaz until 2040. This team gonna have two national holidays about them with ridiculous money left on contracts lol

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
So the Mets did it again, they're making themselves a meme again. They will be paying Edwin Diaz until 2040. This team gonna have two national holidays about them with ridiculous money left on contracts lol
...It is a smart move for all parties involved. And also not at all uncommon as a lot of other teams do it as well. The Bobby Bonilla move is laughable only for the length of time and when it started (and the fact that he was terrible for the Mets).

Mets can spend a little less now (I know Cohen is made of money but even people made of money have to be smart). Diaz also knows he's got money coming in for 10 years after his career. Plus whatever it is now lets face it in 10 years it won't be as much thanks to inflation.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing it.... the day after he passes.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I honestly feel like he should be let in. I don’t know if that’s unpopular or anything, but like yeah I think just let him in tbh

Reactions: Doom

Matrix

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
qGS2CaC
...It is a smart move for all parties involved. And also not at all uncommon as a lot of other teams do it as well. The Bobby Bonilla move is laughable only for the length of time and when it started (and the fact that he was terrible for the Mets).

Mets can spend a little less now (I know Cohen is made of money but even people made of money have to be smart). Diaz also knows he's got money coming in for 10 years after his career. Plus whatever it is now lets face it in 10 years it won't be as much thanks to inflation.

Smart move for Diaz absolutely, for the Mets not so much. Even if Diaz pitches great for the next 5 or 6 years, they're still paying the man multi million dollars for the next 20 years (found out they owe him money till 2042 not 2040), that's Bobby Bonilla type stuff. Also relievers go downhill fast (see Chapman, Papelbon, etc.) so the odds of him even being good at the end of this contract are slim. He's better than Bonilla absolutely, but come on you can't think it's a good move by the team to pay him for the next 20 years long into his retirement.

Matrix

Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
qGS2CaC
Also Pete Rose should be in the HOF and it's a joke he's not.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Doom

La Bestia
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
8XDaHk1
Favorite Wrestler
kane
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
D6czv1V
Favorite Wrestler
doink
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
cJttyo5
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6

Babe Ruth baseball glove sells at auction for record $1.53 million​

i

ESPN

A baseball glove personally donated by Babe Ruth to St. Louis Browns third baseman Jimmy Austin sold Saturday at the 19th annual Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory auction for $1.53 million, shattering the record paid for a baseball glove.

The previous record is believed to be $387,500 for a Lou Gehrig glove sold with Sotheby's in 1999. In 2013, a Jackie Robinson glove believed to have been used in both the 1955 and 1956 World Series sold for just over $373,000 by Steiner Sports.

The Ruth glove was manufactured by Spalding for Ruth's use circa 1927-1933. An audio recording from 1964, used in "The Glory of Their Times," captures Austin discussing the glove and pounding its leather with his hand.

"My childhood memories with my 'Uncle Jim' are extremely dear to me," Susan Kolokoff, niece of Jimmy Austin, said in a statement from Hunt Auctions. "The glove had rested in a box for the last 30 years until we learned of its history and heard the amazing audio recording."

According to Hunt Auctions, which handled Saturday's sale, the glove was originally believed to be a vintage Babe Ruth store model when submitted for consignment. But the provenance and authentication process -- including a possible photo match to a Ruth image bearing the same model glove with identical tobacco staining -- yielded something much more.

"This monumental glove is truly [one] of the most historic pieces of its medium to have ever been offered at public auction," David Hunt, president of Hunt Auctions, said.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Smart move for Diaz absolutely, for the Mets not so much. Even if Diaz pitches great for the next 5 or 6 years, they're still paying the man multi million dollars for the next 20 years (found out they owe him money till 2042 not 2040), that's Bobby Bonilla type stuff. Also relievers go downhill fast (see Chapman, Papelbon, etc.) so the odds of him even being good at the end of this contract are slim. He's better than Bonilla absolutely, but come on you can't think it's a good move by the team to pay him for the next 20 years long into his retirement.
This is not even close to Bonilla. Bonilla was owed $5.9 million after being released and took a deal to get 1 million a year for 20 years that started 10 years after he left the team. Bonilla was always a shit player for the Mets and they gave him 4 times the money to get him away.

Diaz will get the money starting 5 years after the deal ends and ends 10 years after that. The Diaz deal will start 2 years before Bonilla's money ends. And he already is exponentially better for the Mets than Bonilla ever was. Sure they could end up hating the last year of the deal (possibly not as Diaz is only 28) but he's already an all-star closer for them.

Meanwhile, nobody talks about the Reds deal for Ken Griffey Jr. He's been getting $3.59M until 2024 and has since 2008 (he was one of the highest paid Reds this season). Manny Ramirez has been getting paid $2M by Boston and will continue to through 2026. Ichiro is getting paid through 2032. Also, Max Scherzer is currently getting deffered payments from the Nationals in addition to his Mets salary.

Also, it looks like the deferrals drop the Competitive Balance Tax number to $18.6