The Nexus

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
They started out as one of the most intriguing angles of the decade. Were booked great for a few weeks. Then they had that eye-rolling angle with Bret Hart and things took a turn for the worst. Losing at SummerSlam wasn't smart on WWE's part (and Cena in his own right put on one of the worst performances i've ever seen in that match.) then the focus shifted 100% towards Wade. Again, totally ridiculous considering they came in with an equal goal and whatnot. And they wanted Cena in the Nexus for a useless reason apparently and now they're showing signs of breaking up already. They should have teased their "higher power" more, but it looks like WWE's excellent front office forgot about that one. There's still hope, but with the track record of the company...i'm not holding my breath.

...god...

Reaction score
and they forgot the guy who tried to essentially KILL Bret Hart..

CMS

Reaction score
Meh, I never actually expected to see anything come out of the limo driver. It wasn't something I even considered until I saw it mentioned in here and even then, I didn't care.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually wasn't even thinking about that part of the Bret angle, I just thought it was incredibly cheesy and lame the way it happened. But they SHOULD revisit that sort of stuff, or at least have the announcers mention it. Just like the greater plan thing. I think it would be better in the long run for WWE to reward it's viewers who pay attention to things like that on their shows, rather than try to re-write wrestling history. (Not like it's new for them rewriting history, but still.)

Airfixx

Reaction score
Agreed.

I see sheffield, barrett, gabriel & cena all with the great careers.

Guys like Harris and Daniel Brian should be happy they have a job. Slater has a job because he's a looker.

Honorable mention to Darren Young

...Yeah, fuck Bryan, but props to Darren Young?!?!?!?! :roll:

Airfixx

Reaction score
The booking, thus far, has been OK and enough to keep them going but it's been far from great. There have been flashes, though. The first few initial attacks and the Legends angle were awesome. The attack on McMahon was cool, if only to blow him off the suspects list. The pushing of the "wolf pack mentality" was interesting if only because it's something we haven't seen in a group in a long, long time. It was unique in this era.

If it would've been great booking, Nexus would've went over strong in the Elimination Matches to really push them as stronger as a group than the WWE Superstars, who've spent their careers looking out for themselves. I think establishing Wade Barrett as a sniveling, coniving heel who uses others and, for now, needs John Cena to get him the WWE Championship is OK because it fits the Nexus gimmick and there is always time later to establish him as a strong Champion. But they needed to pull the trigger on him while the iron was hot and Cena was still under Nexus control. Too late for that now. Great booking would've seen Cena bring the WWE Championship into Nexus then have to fight to get it back......

I like the Nexus. I think it's a great concept with the right ingredients plugged into the right roles. I just think the booking and storytelling could've been alot better, which would've made the end of this year and the Road to WrestleMania alot more interesting.

Good points here... Sadly, it's quite clear at this stage that by the time it's disentigrated, The Nexus are gonna be left in no better a position than when the angle started and ultimately won't have acheived anything apart from the shitty little tag title run.

CMS

Reaction score
I am not sure about that, I mean, after all, before the angle started, they all were guys going back to FCW, because they lost NXT.

Just take a look at Raw's midcard. It's practically empty. The moment Nexus ends, most of them will stick around on Raw's midcard. That alone is a good thing. It's not like it was expected freaking Heath Slater was made a main eventer because of Nexus.

nightblade420

Reaction score
IMO Nexus is a total failure, the only one who really should have a contract is Barret because of his promo and in ring ability. Then we get to the rest of the nexus who is just there taking up space on the roster. Now i'll admit i actually liked the idea of nexus in the beginning but now i just hate the superstars they used. My first problem was with Mr. *I'll take 6 mins to hit a 450 splash* Justin Gabriel for obvious reasons. Now we have David Ortunga who i think just doesn't sound like a heel, whenever he actually cuts a promo it just sounds weak and doesn't seem like he wants the fans to hate him. Let's go on to Heath Slater, a guy that i can some up in 1 word... Who? he has done absolutely nothing to stick out from the rest of nexus, now granted he did hold the tag titles, but with how pathetic the tag division has been for the past few years i wouldn't say he's done much. Can't even remember the last guys name so it shows how important he has been. Back to Barret, honestly i like barret but let's admit he was pushed into the title scene WAY to fast, i'm sorry but doing some challenges that had nothing to do with wreslting on NXT shouldn't make you WWE champ. I actually liked the Nexus when all they did was beat the hell out of everyone to make a name for themselves but the let's build sympathy for Cena Nexus needs to end fast.

Reaction score
Your problem with Gabriel is obvious? Your only listed complaint was a tactic he used to look evil, deranged and draw great heat. I'm guessing you don't like his mic work, but he's been solid on the stick, and his wrestling has been much better than Barrett's, who is subpar at best. Apparently he should have a contract based on it though. Go figure.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^TBH, even though his in-ring skills are nice, I think they'll eventually struggle to know what to do with Gabriel. Looks a lot more suited to the ring-work ethic of a TNA or ROH to me.

I am not sure about that, I mean, after all, before the angle started, they all were guys going back to FCW, because they lost NXT.

Kayfaybe: They were finished had it not been for the deal to become Nexus regardless of who won NXT.
Non-Kayfaybe: They may just have been dropped? We don't know either way.

All that TV time to establish a bunch of low card 'talent' as LOW CARD talent(***)? Seems like a waste to me unless they went to all this effort for the sole benefit of establishing Barret...

(***My initial impression of NXT1 was that they had hired guys to effectively 'job' in that contest.... Season 2 would have cemented this theory if it wasn't for the fact that all these 'jobbers' from S1 were getting mega TV time on Raw EVERY week throughout the summer.)

Just take a look at Raw's midcard. It's practically empty. The moment Nexus ends, most of them will stick around on Raw's midcard. That alone is a good thing.

Good in what way? ...Regardless of the extent, do you honestly anticipate the likes of Slater & Otunga being singles guys?

Like I said at the very begining of the angle, the likes of MVP, Carlito, Primo, Chavo, Ryder, Bourne, Masters and more would have killed for all that TV time and by the same token most of those guys are still around today not getting TV time or meaningful programs when THEY could be the ones to flesh out this 'empty' Raw midcard you refer to.

It's not like it was expected freaking Heath Slater was made a main eventer because of Nexus.

No, based purely on what I saw of the guy, I expected him to be eliminated from NXT never to be seen on TV again (See above para with***'s).

ahorrig

Reaction score
I hope Wade Barrett can be a future world champion, as he cuts good promos, his in ring skills are quite good and is a good heel. In my opinion his chair match was awesome, way better then the epic fail of batista/taker at tlc last year.

Airfixx

Reaction score
It appears Nexus won't be biting the dust any time soon, so:

1. Will nexus have any more tangiable succes under Punk than they did under Wade Barret?

2. What next for Barret?

Beer

Reaction score
I'm expecting Barrett to join in with MITB, then have a nice little feud with Triple H after 'Mania before jumping back into the title picture. Of course, we all know this could go terribly wrong.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
They'll still probably be "Punk + other guys" and be jobbed out on their own, probably disband after 'Mania.

I see one of two things happening with Wade...He stays out of the picture for about a month or so, then coming back and forming a shocking alliance with Cena. (Scenario: Nexus has Cena beat down, Punk announces a surprise for Cena, out comes Wade with a chair smiling evily, he winds up to strike Cena, then strikes Punk, Cena & Barrett clean house, making Nexus look like chumps again.) leading to some kind of tag at 'Mania (possibly another elimination match, with Wade and Cena forming some sort of team.). OR... Wade goes to SD to do something else completely.

seX-Power

Reaction score
I really don't want Barrett to turn face. I could see him participating in the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chamber matches just as filler, before possibly feuding with Orton going into WM.