• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Nexus

noumenon

Reaction score
Alright, so I think it's about time to reevaluate these guys. They've been going strong for quite a while now and have no doubt made a huge impact on the WWE since their debut. Though Nexus has been somewhat of a revolving door with it's members, the core has always remained the same.
Wade Barrett has done such a phenomenal job with leading this faction. The guy was thrust into a debut as the leader of the biggest heel faction in the company since Evolution and turned it into pure gold. He got himself and the entire stable for that matter over in such a short period of time.
Otunga has done a great job playing the eager second. At times showing signs of rebellion against Barrett but at the same time still driving for their cause. Their current feud with Cena is actually becoming quite interesting. Although we're seeing him sort of "dismantling" the Nexus I think we're far from seeing the end of the stable. I would still love to see the Nexus as a clean sweep stable at some point with Barrett holding the WWE title, Slater and Gabriel as tag champs and Otunga holding a mid card title.
So what's everyone's take on the Nexus in it's current form?

Montana

Reaction score
I think Nexus was booked REALLY WELL. Good things come out of good booking. Not to discredit the talent, because like you said, Barrett has went above and beyond must everyone expectations. Here's a guy that doesn't need to be handed the title, to be considered a main event player, or superstar, or whatever.

Not sure if i am really entertained by this faction so much though. Husky is a nice addition. So i'm kinda indifferent about them. Guys like Heath Slater should be very thankful he has a job. But in return the WWE has given a good storyline, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

noumenon

Reaction score
The ingenious part of the booking though is that their whole gimmick is "we are one"... that wolf pack mentality. It kind of forces you to overlook the shortcomings of the individual members. The entire stable just seems like one large extension of Barrett's massive power tripping ego. Let's face it, no matter how you look at it WWE took a handful of complete no names and made them the biggest thing in the company for months. I'm not sure where the rest of these guys will end up once Nexus is all said and done but Barrett is definitely going far.

CMS

Reaction score
Well, I won't even mention Barret because he has practically gotten established as a fixture by this point.

Justin Gabriel was the second man on Nexus, but has taken a step back. However, he has proven he can be a solid act on the midcard and why not higher, putting good matches with John Cena and Randy Orton (start the conspiracy talk begin as Gabriel's step down from facing main event talent precisely was after botching some spots against Orton). He has shown to be versatile as he was a good babyface on NXT and then has shown good heel mannerisms on Raw.

Otunga has nailed his role as well. In ring, it's surprising how he was better on NXT than on he is now, but with the right opponents he shouldn't be so disastrious.

Husky Harris, if the rumor that he injured Orton, might very well be screwed. Joe Hennig, we will be seeing more from him I am sure and Heath Slater will get fired as soon as this angle ends.

noumenon

Reaction score
Yeah, Husky may have kicked himself into a really shitty place. He does have the second gen card on his side though.

I can't help but think had Skip Sheffield not been injured he'd be playing a pretty large part in Nexus right now. If he is good to go before the angle ends I would be shocked to see him resurface at some point.

Reaction score
Husky injured Orton? That sucks because Husky is probably the most talented and unique of the Nexus guys.

As far as the nexus guys go, I remember about 2-5 months ago 90% of this board couldn't stop complaining about it.

And I know people like to hate on Heath Slate, but he's actually pretty solid in the ring and can bump really well. He's no worse than DiBiase, Rhodes, McIntyre or Ziggler in the ring.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Wade Barrett is the only one I care about. The rest are just....there.

It's not that they are all bad wrestlers, there are a few good ones, but they get overshadowed big time by Wade.

Reaction score
I think the Nexus are far from over. I think they will stick around at least untill wrestlemania. The whole Nexus group was an extremely good job on behalf of WWE's creative team. Who could think of a name like Nexus anyway? The name alone means a lot. It means they are all a whole. Barrett has done a fabulous job with the running of the Nexus. They came out of nowhere and destroyed Raw back when they debuted as a group. Whenever I first saw them I fell in love with the stable and thought it was great. They caught everybody by suprise and then they work a good program with John Cena which is still going on. I don't know if they are still going with the idea of one person being behind Nexus or what but I can't wait to see how it plays out.

chessarmy

Reaction score
While the John Cena situation is so dumb (way to ruin the fired stip), the Nexus idea and execution of said idea has been superb. I know the WWE is looking to make new stars quickly to replace Batista/HBK and eventually Edge/Taker/Triple H, and this is a pretty good way of doing that. Wade Barrett is already a star, they've done such a great job making him look credible, he's a very intelligent heel who uses his resources to his advantage. The rest of the guys could end up as midcarders/upper-midcarders when the group folds. I can see Gabriel/Slater/Harris/McGuillicutty as mid-card fixtures, while Otunga makes his home in the upper-midcard due to his good mic work and look.

The best part about Nexus is they still have so many directions they can go with this group, they seem to look better each week and by the time it comes to an end, I'm certain that WWE's goal to create at least 1-2 new stars will be reached.

Airfixx

Reaction score
While the John Cena situation is so dumb (way to ruin the fired stip),

No. Ruining the "fired" stip would be having him miraculously competing in sanctioned matches again.

Consider KAYFAYBE and reconsider.

M'thinks you're just pissed about not having Cena off your screen.

NEXUS:

I'll hold my hands up and say I was less than impresssed in the begining (during which time many were prematurely declaring it the best this or that of so many years before it had even taken shape.). I did say however that I'd reserve my judgement until the storyline had unfolded...

As time has passed, I have since been thoroughly entertained.

The finish at SSeries was particulraly anticlimactic, whoever the saga continues....

Doomsday

Reaction score
I think it doesn't fit him

Agreed.

The ingenious part of the booking though is that their whole gimmick is "we are one"... that wolf pack mentality. It kind of forces you to overlook the shortcomings of the individual members. The entire stable just seems like one large extension of Barrett's massive power tripping ego. Let's face it, no matter how you look at it WWE took a handful of complete no names and made them the biggest thing in the company for months. I'm not sure where the rest of these guys will end up once Nexus is all said and done but Barrett is definitely going far.
I see sheffield, barrett, gabriel & cena all with the great careers.
I think Nexus was booked REALLY WELL. Good things come out of good booking. Not to discredit the talent, because like you said, Barrett has went above and beyond must everyone expectations. Here's a guy that doesn't need to be handed the title, to be considered a main event player, or superstar, or whatever.

Not sure if i am really entertained by this faction so much though. Husky is a nice addition. So i'm kinda indifferent about them. Guys like Heath Slater should be very thankful he has a job. But in return the WWE has given a good storyline, so you gotta take the good with the bad.

Guys like Harris and Daniel Brian should be happy they have a job. Slater has a job because he's a looker.

Honorable mention to Darren Young

Veritas

Reaction score
The booking, thus far, has been OK and enough to keep them going but it's been far from great. There have been flashes, though. The first few initial attacks and the Legends angle were awesome. The attack on McMahon was cool, if only to blow him off the suspects list. The pushing of the "wolf pack mentality" was interesting if only because it's something we haven't seen in a group in a long, long time. It was unique in this era.

If it would've been great booking, Nexus would've went over strong in the Elimination Matches to really push them as stronger as a group than the WWE Superstars, who've spent their careers looking out for themselves. I think establishing Wade Barrett as a sniveling, coniving heel who uses others and, for now, needs John Cena to get him the WWE Championship is OK because it fits the Nexus gimmick and there is always time later to establish him as a strong Champion. But they needed to pull the trigger on him while the iron was hot and Cena was still under Nexus control. Too late for that now. Great booking would've seen Cena bring the WWE Championship into Nexus then have to fight to get it back.

Skip Sheffield really missed out with his broken ankle. Had he still been around, I think WWE would've been working alot harder to establish a "second" in Nexus. Sheffield had a presence to him and his heel facials and cockiness worked well. He was, for lack of a better term, the latest version of Batista 2004. For about a month or so before his injury, WWE seemed to be leaning towards him with favorable booking, giving him several eliminations in the Multimans and having it take several top finishers to eliminate him.

Justin Gabriel, while having a good look and excellent facials, just seems to be missing something as far as being a top star goes. Maybe it's just because his character hasn't been defined much (which is the main problem with most of Nexus sans Barrett and Otunga) but, right now, I can't buy him as a headliner. Slater, while a solid worker, is in the same boat here. WWE just hasn't done enough with them to make people care. The "wolf pack mentality" is great and it works but, at some point, you also need to plan for when you're going to split these guys up and start giving each of them some personalities. One thing I've noticed about Slater is, when Bret Hart was involved in the Nexus angle, he was almost always working exclusively with Slater. Think there's anything to that?

Husky and Hennig, while in the same boat as Gabrial and Slater with the personality problems, also have the problem of alot of people already knowing who they are. When these guys have such recognizable real names and that awesome "family history" in the business you can build off of, why lump them with these rediculous stage names? Both guys would do fine in heel roles, as evidenced, but it just seems like they'd have so much more swagger and connectability (is that a word?) to them if they were allowed to use their real names. The names RHODES and DIBIASE did alot to keep people interested in Cody & Ted until they grew into their roles (well Cody did, we're all still waiting on Ted I guess) and something as simple as introducing Husky and Michael to the RAW audience as Windham Rotunda and Joe Hennig, and then explaining who they were, could've done alot to connect these two new Nexus members to the audience and establish them in the pack.

Otunga...what do you do with him? I mean, yes he has some charisma and presence to him but all of his promos sound like he's reading from a script and he's certainly no Miz or Rock where his mic ability will give him the edge he needs to allow him to develop in the ring. It's already been said, he's worse now than he was a year ago. Once the Nexus angle runs it's course, I can see Otunga being one of the first casualties.

I like the Nexus. I think it's a great concept with the right ingredients plugged into the right roles. I just think the booking and storytelling could've been alot better, which would've made the end of this year and the Road to WrestleMania alot more interesting.