The Next Entertainment Tourney - Childrens Television Programming

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Is Childrens Television Programming. It can be from any era and anything aimed at kids. Each member may submit via PM 20 shows. The Tourney will be posted as soon as the movie tourney is down.

FUTURE SHOWS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

Last edited:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I will except entries until the 26th as to not start a new poll on the weekend before Christmas.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'll send mine in a bit.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I just sent mine in then. Just creating that list of 20 to send brought back a lot of memories, there were a lot of awesome shows on in the 90's. I feel bad for kids these days that they don't get shows of that quality anymore.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
After sending in my votes and now having voted in the first quadrant polls I can't help but think of how lucky I was to grow up in the 90's. The sheer quantity of top quality shows from that time is staggering. Nowadays there just doesn't seem to be as many good shows and not anywhere near as much variety.

Back in the day there were cartoons, comedies, teen sitcoms, sketch shows, action game shows, superhero shows (live action and cartoon) and the list just goes on. Basically there was something good on for whatever genre of television you liked.

These days that variety is missing and the quality isn't even close. Where can you find a sketch comedy variety show or an action/adventure game show these days? They just don't have shows like that anymore and it is a shame that kids growing up these days don't have shows like that.

Anyone else think that the 90's was a pretty special time for kid's programming?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Just from seeing what my little brother watches, the only good shows are Phineas & Ferb and Adventure Time, which are hilarious. The rest are complete garbage, especially the live action ones.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I don't really know any kids shows now but I would agree with this. The 90's were loaded with quality TV in many different styles. As Troy pointed out there were like 10 different types of shows, so you had a lot of choices. It doesn't seem like that now.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I grew up in the 80's but I know what you mean, as I have 2 small kids now and the shows they watch are just garbage... I force the new ninja turtles on them a little and they will watch P&F, adventure time and Regular show.... Too many paranoid parents and control groups taking away quality entertainment and replacing it with educational trash

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I would say there was a good mix of styles in the 90s and the advancement of animation really helped things. Nowadays too often than not, they try too hard to force entertainment through cheap gimmicks and catch phases, the storytelling is not the same.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It seems like these days the only focus is on animation and they don't put any effort in other forms of childrens programming. Don't get me wrong animation is great but it would be so much better if they had more variety and didn't just focus mainly on one form of programming. Would be so boring growing up these days although I guess kids would play more video games now then back in the nineties, plus there is the internet.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
It seems like these days the only focus is on animation and they don't put any effort in other forms of childrens programming. Don't get me wrong animation is great but it would be so much better if they had more variety and didn't just focus mainly on one form of programming. Would be so boring growing up these days although I guess kids would play more video games now then back in the nineties, plus there is the internet.

Not sure about that, given whats availble I don't think animation is that good on Kids TV, seems they safe the great stuff for the movies.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
There are a few non animated shows that are good (mostly geared towards toddlers and young kids)... Yo Gabba Gabba, Jack's Big Music Show, Imagination Movers, The Fresh Beat Band.... and Disney Channel has numerous sitcom type shows aimed at kids between 10-15..... We just recently found a show called The Aquabats Super Show, the aquabats are a comedy/punk band who's lead singer is a former child actor and co-creator of Yo Gabba Gabba. The show is a great mix of goofy for the kids and offbeat humor for adults... So after that I will certainly agree that children's programming today is nowhere near as good as it was in the 80's and 90's but there are some good shows out there in all shapes and sizes

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Not sure about that, given whats availble I don't think animation is that good on Kids TV, seems they safe the great stuff for the movies.

Just to clarify I wasn't saying that the animation is great now, I was simply saying that animation itself is great and I like animation but it seems like that is the main focus these days with childrens programming. There isn't enough variety and they put a lot of effort into animation ahead of everything else.

Just wondering, is there still a big focus on Japanese animations, anime, these days. I remember in the 90's quite a few of those shows made it big here, was curious if they were still going strong.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Did The Adventures of Pete and Pete end up in the tournament? I nominated it in the beginning and then again for Quadrant 4 but I can't remember seeing it anywhere.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I know we have a bit of time until this one finishes, but was wondering if anyhone had any ideas what they would like the next Tournament should be? Greatst novels might be a good one to do.