The Next Daniel Bryan?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Who do you guys think will be the next completely over guy in the company, like Bryan with the yes movement, or Steve Austin in the late 90s? It seems harder to project these days but I'd love to hear some opinions

Crash

Reaction score
Hm, that's actually a very hard question.

I think Kenny Omega, Matt Riddle or Aleister Black maybe have that potential... But I don't know.

This stuff tend to happen organically, like when the crowd goes full force on one person. It's not something that is easy to create, it just happens...

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
I mean, many people would argue that Becky Lynch is in that situation right now, but that's generally hard to predict. Especially nowadays, it's way harder to be the center of attention than it was about 10 (or more) years ago.

What all these modern "completely over guys" have in common for me is that it never feels like they're playing a character, making them more relatable than people acting like they're wrestlers. It never seemed like anyone told Stone Cold how to be Stone Cold, same goes for wrestlers like Punk or Bryan, and therefor it's easier for audiences to connect to them.
I could definitely see Kevin Owens fitting in that category as well, he's very much himself whenever he's on air and people don't only love his work but also the person behind it. I'm not saying he's "wrestling boom" material but he's the first person I thought of. He's also a fat fuck and makes it work, how can a wrestling fan not support that?

Reaction score
Hm, that's actually a very hard question.

I think Kenny Omega, Matt Riddle or Aleister Black maybe have that potential... But I don't know.

This stuff tend to happen organically, like when the crowd goes full force on one person. It's not something that is easy to create, it just happens...
I think its a lot easier to predict in a place like Japan. In WWE it is so hard to tell. I think maybe Adam Cole could be insanely over on the main roster

Reaction score
I mean, many people would argue that Becky Lynch is in that situation right now, but that's generally hard to predict. Especially nowadays, it's way harder to be the center of attention than it was about 10 (or more) years ago.

What all these modern "completely over guys" have in common for me is that it never feels like they're playing a character, making them more relatable than people acting like they're wrestlers. It never seemed like anyone told Stone Cold how to be Stone Cold, same goes for wrestlers like Punk or Bryan, and therefor it's easier for audiences to connect to them.
I could definitely see Kevin Owens fitting in that category as well, he's very much himself whenever he's on air and people don't only love his work but also the person behind it. I'm not saying he's "wrestling boom" material but he's the first person I thought of. He's also a fat fuck and makes it work, how can a wrestling fan not support that?
I would say Becky is for sure close right now. Kevin Owens has that potential, but he's such a good dickish heel that I'm not sure he'll ever get over in a massive babyface way

Reactions: SWL and Crash

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
I would say Becky is for sure close right now. Kevin Owens has that potential, but he's such a good dickish heel that I'm not sure he'll ever get over in a massive babyface way
tbf, Stone Cold, Punk and Becky all got their boost from heelish actions as well. Even Bryan's first intention for the YES chant was to be obnoxious with it

Crash

Reaction score
I think its a lot easier to predict in a place like Japan. In WWE it is so hard to tell. I think maybe Adam Cole could be insanely over on the main roster

I think it's harder in WWE because you have to fit a certain model, sell merchandise, have charisma, look good and also get the approval of Vince McMahon.

Reactions: Anthony Borthacyre
Reaction score
I think it's harder in WWE because you have to fit a certain model, sell merchandise, have charisma, look good and also get the approval of Vince McMahon.
I agree. In WWE it's like an entire package you have to have to please Vince. I think as said before it all lies in the hands of the fans in the end. Vince would have never pushed Bryan without the Yes Movement, while some guys like Cena fit the mold and are an obvious choice to make the top guy

Reactions: Crash
Reaction score
tbf, Stone Cold, Punk and Becky all got their boost from heelish actions as well. Even Bryan's first intention for the YES chant was to be obnoxious with it
I think it all depends on the person. Those people are great examples of getting over as "heels" or anti heroes. If anyone on the roster today has the charisma to pull it off, it's a guy like KO

Reactions: Crash

Crash

Reaction score
I agree. In WWE it's like an entire package you have to have to please Vince. I think as said before it all lies in the hands of the fans in the end. Vince would have never pushed Bryan without the Yes Movement, while some guys like Cena fit the mold and are an obvious choice to make the top guy

That's true but even Cena had to work his ass off to get the fans behind him, until they got bored of the same old shit. It was the same thing with Hogan, people booed Hulk out of the building and that's why he was the third guy in the NWO. That is the most important thing, you gotta evolve. You can get to the top but if you do the same stuff every year it will fail, you need to reinvent yourself all the time to stay relevant. Perfect example is Chris Jericho, he did everything, won almost every championships but still to this day people talk about him.

Reaction score
That's true but even Cena had to work his ass off to get the fans behind him, until they got bored of the same old shit. It was the same thing with Hogan, people booed Hulk out of the building and that's why he was the third guy in the NWO. That is the most important thing, you gotta evolve. You can get to the top but if you do the same stuff every year it will fail, you need to reinvent yourself all the time to stay relevant. Perfect example is Chris Jericho, he did everything, won almost every championships but still to this day people talk about him.
I was just about to bring up Jericho lol he is my favorite for that very reason

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Its Becky Lynch right now. We are currently in the womens wrestling era and Becky Lynch is "the man"

So much so that the women are gonna probably main event Wrestlemania. With some combination of Becky, Ronda, and Charlotte.

Reaction score
Its Becky Lynch right now. We are currently in the womens wrestling era and Becky Lynch is "the man"

So much so that the women are gonna probably main event Wrestlemania. With some combination of Becky, Ronda, and Charlotte.
Idk about you, but I am completely fine with Charlotte vs Becky vs Ronda main evening mania

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Idk about you, but I am completely fine with Charlotte vs Becky vs Ronda main evening mania

Im perfectly fine with it. Honestly the main event is not even a great spot to have at Wrestlemania anymore. The show is already so long and after 6 hours of wrestling, the main event loses a lot of momentum.

Becky vs Charlotte vs Sasha had the best match on the card at Wrestlemania 32 so i have faith that another triple threat but with Ronda replacing Sasha would be a great match.

Reaction score
Im perfectly fine with it. Honestly the main event is not even a great spot to have at Wrestlemania anymore. The show is already so long and after 6 hours of wrestling, the main event loses a lot of momentum.

Becky vs Charlotte vs Sasha had the best match on the card at Wrestlemania 32 so i have faith that another triple threat but with Ronda replacing Sasha would be a great match.
Valid point. I just remember having to sit through that Roman and HHH main event at 32. It felt like that match would never end