The New Attitude Era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Double J

Reaction score
I agree with Moonlight Drive, I don't think it's the new Attitude era. Promo's seem to be more 'broken kayfabe' as far as telling true things. Crap they even finally came out and said it about Stephanie and Tripple H. But WWE is trying to be more PG, that's even been said by numerous wrestlers. The most recent I can remember is Kelly Kelly saying that they wont be having anymore Diva's in Playboy because "We're PG now".

I think the things we've been seeing lately that nods in the direction of the Attitude era is just ways to keep from going fullthrottle into a G rating. They have to do something like that to keep adults/younger adults still interested and caught up in the stories.

The kid magazine, wrestlers like CM Punk and Rey Mysterio, WWE Superstars, new merchandice, ect,ect is to put them over as being more kid friendly mother approved.

Trust me, if this was trying to be a new Attitude Era then we'd be hearing about how Stephanie was pregnant but had a miscarrige due to Orton RKOing her.....

Great One

Trust me, if this was trying to be a new Attitude Era then we'd be hearing about how Stephanie was pregnant but had a miscarrige due to Orton RKOing her.....
Haha, that's not a bad idea. It would make this feud make much more sense (thus set it apart from the other many times Stephanie has been attacked), and give Triple H even more rage.

gloy

Reaction score
WTF?! ATTITUDE BABY!!

WTF!

Realism? Is that why we watch wrestling? NO! That's why we watch UFC, boxing, and other "real" fighting sports. Heck even non fighting sports.

The "competition" in wrestling is supposed to be unreal and gimmicky. It's supposed to be over the top and fun! Weird, profane, unpredictable. I could go on and on with a list of adjectives.

Of course, there was always the more realistic story lines and realistic named people to go ALONG WITH the outrageous stuff which was cool. A healthy mix is needed.

Wrestling is a Soap Opera for men! I don't turn on the TV after work for "realism" or I would watch the UFC or the news.

BRING BACK THE ATTITUDE ERA. BRING IT BACK BIGGER THAN EVER! Or at least mix it in with whatever the hell is going on today (crap).

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
DiBiase did say "OH SHIT!" during the chase and got away with it...

And Jericho took a stab at Steamboat's divorce trouble, haha! And he did take a stab at taking pictures and signing autographs the monday after he punched the bitch.

I think WWE is embracing the internet, and wanting to play with he things people can find on the net. They dont ignore real names. The Undertaker and Kane are the only real gimmicks not being broken. I think it's all about not being able to hide much.

The Benoit incident certainly hurt the WWE though, because they were playing with assassination. Benoit basically showed the world that these guys aren't stable, and WWE doesn't want to be known for that, so they're calming it down.

noumenon

I think WWE is just picking up their pace right now going into Mania. However, there's no reason why they can't become a family friendly product and still bring back some of that Attitude Era edge. It doesn't have to be raunchy sex and foul language to be edgy. I think they're doing a great idea of incorporating some of that old flare back into the product.
However I think the Smackdown brand is getting all but lost in the shuffle as even the WHC feud seems to be taking place on RAW right now. Hopefully the draft will see a major change and finally get a strong Smackdown roster.

Beer

You can't really say yet. Sure, the attitude era has in some way come back over the last few weeks, but you really can't say weather it is back for good, or the WWE are using it to get more momentum going into WM.

Airfixx

Btw, didn't you forget when JBL tried to RUN OVER (and KILL) John Cena with a car..? That doesn't seem like PG to me.. much worse than any of this.

...JBL tried to burn Cena alive at ONS last year too.

MikeRaw

I don't think any of this will last. On the Road to Wrestlemania, there's always some edgier things going on, that give us almost false hope, thinking they may go back to the attitude days.
If the storylines like these can keep up after Mania, then you may be on to something, but until then, it's just a phase.

noumenon

Honestly the only storyline I see resembling the Attitude days right now is Orton/HHH. Cena and his righteous pursuit to give Edge and ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT!!!1ONE doesn't scream edgy to me.