The Montreal Screwjob...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
If you just read this thread title, your probably wondering why anyone wants to talk about this incident anymore. Well I figured I would because in my time on this site I've never given my thoughts on what happened that night, and my view may be a bit different than most others. So here it goes.

The Montreal Screwjob is one of the most overrated and overdiscussed topics in wrestling history. The actions presented by everyone involved were just poor and tasteless all around, but doesn't warrant half the discussion thats gone on about it. Put simply, I'm not siding with Bret, or Shawn, or Vince. The incident does NOT exemplify how any promotion should be run, much less WWE.

Going further into this, I find it in poor taste that fans of either Bret or Shawn use the incident as a way to somehow prove one is better than the other. No one seems to understand how dangerous this incident could have been, and just use it as their own personal booster for either guy. It'll be a great day when I don't have to hear another Hitman mark argue about this endlessly. Its pathetic really.

So, your thoughts on the Montrealm Screwjob?

NYKings

Reaction score
I'm a big HBK fan so people may think that this is a biased response but oh well.

Like you, I think everyone involved was wrong BUT I don't think in a company where you're being paid to work that you should have the power to refuse to do something. Bret SHOULD HAVE dropped the title like he was asked to and been a professional but he didn't and instead it turned into a big hoopla.

Overrated? I guess, it's 10 yrs old and it should just stay in the past. But over the past ten years you've seen WCW (when they were around) and WWE use that finish or bring the incident up numerous times. I guess, for them, it's too big not to mention.

Reaction score
Canadians are crazy and live too much in the past. Ever see WWE when they go in Canada? HBK gets more heat than a pedophile at a kindergarten.

Anyways the Montreal Screw Job was just a stupid moment in WWF that wont die even though its WWE now!!!

Reaction score
bret was very naive to think vince would allow him to leave wwf as the wwf champion and then appear on nitro.If that had happened eric bischoff would have claimed that the real wwf champion was on wcw television to spice up the monday night wars.Bret should have seen this one coming and instead made the mistake of thinking that vince was a man of his word.

Travis40

I was about to come in here and post that same question Peep...I think we'll only find out when Vince or Bret dies...maybe Hebner, but we'll probably never know. The actual thing was real (I believe) but everything after that was a work...like the "punch" backstage...sure he had the marks and the look to prove it...but no one actually saw the real punch and there was a film crew by them...so I think they would've taped something.

The Rated R CMStar

I think it has been all a work. I can understand Bret holding grudges against Vince for what happen to his brother, but to stil have grudges concerning the Montreal Screwjob.

Now, about the actual thing. I think Bret knew it was coming. I think it was all set up and agreed. You have to agree that Bret Hart's name became even bigger after the Screwjob, and it gave the fans another thing to never forget that angry babyface called Bret Hart, and Vince also won as based on this he created his Mr. Mcmahon character

Markz

Reaction score
Bret screwed Bret. The little baby is still complaining about this, he didnt want to lose the title in Canada, but it wasn't in his home town (Calgary) it was Montreal. If it is your last match and you hold a title, you must drop it for the good of the company you are working for. Not only was he leaving though, he was going to WCW, what would stopo him from dropping the title into a bin like Alundra Blaze! Look the guy is just aa sneaky asswhole, he got his wife behind him and wore a wire into the meeting with Vince on the night, so he could put it on his pathetic little DVD.

HBK had no choice but to go along, in my mind he was just stuck in the middle and he took the right choice. Bret now makes himself look hard done to by bitching about this incident, when in all fact, he done it to himself.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I agree with CMS I think this whole thing is a work..cause it helped Bret out if u think about it..like CMS said his name became bigger after that and that was like the start of the Vince we know today...the evil boss..so I think it was a work to help then both out..

thedeadite

Reaction score
I always thought it was a work, in some ways it might have even helped brett in wcw (making him even more over with some fans).
I have other opinions on it too, though vastly more controversial and conspiratory. For one, I wouldn't be all surprised if Brett was giving vince info on plans wcw had...for a little while atleast. Though I'm sure none of you agree with that and think i'm insane for thinking it....I just wouldn't be surprised if it's what happened.

Y2Jasmine

Reaction score
i have no idea whether the Screwjob was a work or not.I know me or anyone else beside Vince, Bret and HBK will never know the whole story behind it and therefore, since it has no effect on wrestling today, I think its better off left in the past.

thedeadite

Reaction score
I don't even think HBK would know. In my opinion, if it really was a work, only Vince and Brett knew about it, possibly Hebner, but I even doubt that. The less people that know, the easier it is to keep secret. You're right though, no one will really ever know. If information stays the same, people will think it was a shoot, people will think it was a work. If Vince, or Brett, or both come out and say it was a work, people will still think that them saying it was a work was a work. Who really cares either way, all it is anymore is a landmark in pro-wrestling, nothing more.

C4

It was a setup between both Bret Hart and Vince McMahon, Both wCw and WWF worked on an angle that would boost the popularity of both Federations, you don't know what goes on behind the curtain and it's pretty obvious that it was a "work" Vince and Ted teamed up maybe and made "The Montreal Screwjob" which did indeed make Mr.McMahon's Character and started the Attitude Era, it also boosted WCW's fanbase as many turned on to see what exactly happened, the fans were fooled.