The difference between Rock/Punk and Cena/Punk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
Yes, I realize that these are two entirely different feuds and matches, but there is something vastly different about the style of these two important and similar storyline builds. Both of these feuds are extremely high-profile matches and were (and is) the highlight and focus of their respected time frames. The Rock in any match is a huge one, these are the two feuds we've seen from The Rock in this generation of pro wrestling. that, of course, speaks for itself. The problem I'm addressing is the way these two feuds were built.

During last year's Wrestlemania season, The Rock and Cena were set to go at it in the year's buggest and highest profile show to the date. They built the storyline to highlight that The Rok and Cena didn't like eachother... but they tore each other down in the process. Not in the way most feuds happen, these two guys literally did not like each other, and the feud suffered because of it. The main things I would like to point out is yes, the feud took place for over a year of anticipation, that their material seemed to wear thin as possible before their match. But that's not the most important aspect I want to point out. These two guys didn't help each other in their feud, they didn't feed off each ither, and they didn't care that they were breaking kayfabe in the process. I bring up the picture of Rock's notes on his arm, the fact that Cena always tried one-upping The Rock no matter what.

[video=youtube;cZYm0XrKPmY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZYm0XrKPmY[/video]

Look at this video from 10:50 onwards. Now here the Rock is trying to add some fire to the feud, but Cena cuts in again and again to try and one up him, and then smiles. Smiles as the Rock is talking about going head to head, ignoring all the gimmicks, catchphrases and kiddie insults they've traded, and Cena is blowing it off completely.

Now we move onto the present, and CM Punk - Rock. Let's look at some of the Rock's comments from their first encounter:

"You keep mentioning that number 414. 414 days you've been WWE champion. That's incredible! Incredible."

"CM Punk, you have one of the most creative and innovative minds in the WWE. The Rock knows it."

"Don't you think for one single solitary second, that the Rock doesn't know how bad you are, how dangerous you are, how tough you are."

"The Rock knows how last time we met in the middle of this ring, you hit the Rock with the GTS and knocked him out cold. Cold as a block of ice."

And from his opponent, take a look at how Punk also shows respect, in a slightly less obvious way:

"Unlike a lot of people I'm glad you're back...I don't care what your schedule is...I'll still kick your ass. I don't care how many movies you film a year, I know how hard that schedule is, but everytime you come back I'm going to kick your ass."

A feud needs both guys to look good, to really really sell. Cena and the Rock were kicking pieces out of each other, whilst Punk and Rock are building each other up to look like giants.

I know what feud I want to see.

Finally, take a look at these two photos which sum up my thoughts:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/image...257/RockCenaSmug_display_image.jpg?1333945995

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/002/086/758/RockPunk_crop_exact.jpg?w=340&h=234&q=75

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Agree with you, I posted something similar in the RAW thread last week so i'll re-post it here.

Now, his post commercial break stuff was miles better than pre commercial break because he actually got onto the subject of The Rock and not letting him tear down everything he had attained just like he did with everyone else he beat. When Rock came out I really liked the way he got straight into it saying that in 20 days he was taking the title and then Punk not being able to live up to his promises of change and a revolution. Both guys serious faces helped the intensity of the promo aswell, not like during Rock/Cena when Cena was stood there with a goofy ass grin all the time. Obviously there were the insults but I did think The Rock did a good job of putting over Punk's title reign, him being dangerous and also the power of his GTS. Credit to Punk aswell for the way he spoke about The Rock returning and his movie schedule because one of my big worries about coming into this feud was that I thought it was going to be the same shit Cena said all them months about never being there, making bad movies etc. Like I say though, credit to Punk because he kind of delivered it in a different way where it was positive but still reiterated that he would kick ass no matter how often he would be there. If I wanted to be picky, one area they could have gone further into is when Punk responded to The Rock saying he mattered because they could have had Rock go on about Punk being second fiddle to Cena still.

Anyways, the actual confrontation between the two was very good, maybe not great but a very good opening exchange that wet my appetite for what's to come.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Good thread as it was something I noticed as well and kind of surprises me. Rock has done a great job of putting over Punk before the match has even happened making Punk look bigger and Punk is taking Rock very serious as a threat to his long reign. I think the actual match will be another difference as well as I expect it to be much better just cause I think their styles will mesh better than Rock did with Cena. Rock seems to legit respect Punk and Punk seems excited to work with Rock despite what he has said about him in the past.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
Can't add much that hasn't been said but that was clearly the biggest problem with Rock-Cena and I think they realized it and that's why this one is playing off so well. Trial and error if you will.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
I think Rock-Cena was freakin' amazing, personally. Watching Cena job to him in the center of the ring at 'Mania was fucking magic for me.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I think Rock-Cena was freakin' amazing, personally. Watching Cena job to him in the center of the ring at 'Mania was fucking magic for me.
Good luck for Mania this year then :lmao

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Rock/Cena was way better than this shit.

1/ Cena is a way bigger star than Punk
2/ Their promos were better than "shut up u cookie puss" "no, I am da best in da world!"

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
You could make Cena/Rock sound just as bad if you simplified it just like that. Just replace cookie puss with Fruity Pebbles and best in the world with movie jokes. Also just cause someone is a bigger star doesn't automatically mean their feud is better as it still depends on who the feud is with, about and how it is executed.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
To be fair we have to wait until Punk/Rock has run its course before comparing them.

Will keep it brief, my impression is that the hype and story behind Cena/Rock was better, because of the way they set it up a year in advance and really gave it that special extra long build and made it feel like it was a true one off. Then again in terms of promos and I suspect the quailty of the match then Punk/Rock is the better feud.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I did like that Punk was able to listen to The Rock without interrupting him and without smiling. Punk taking the promo seriously was a nice change from Cena last year. When Cena actually did cut the crap and act serious it made it so much better and that is why it baffles me as to why he doesn't do it more often. I like what we have seen so far from Punk and Rock but we haven't seen that much yet between them. The all important match is to come as well and I can't wait to see how they work it.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
To be fair we have to wait until Punk/Rock has run its course before comparing them.

Will keep it brief, my impression is that the hype and story behind Cena/Rock was better, because of the way they set it up a year in advance and really gave it that special extra long build and made it feel like it was a true one off. Then again in terms of promos and I suspect the quailty of the match then Punk/Rock is the better feud.

I never thought the length of the build up itself added much tbh, simply because up until a month or two before the match I couldn't actually tell why the match was so important to each of them and why they needed to win (at least in The Rock's case). We all knew why the match was happening, because they didn't like each other and because people wanted to see them fight. But whenever the jokes were cast aside (and you gotta admit, there was so, so much joking around), it seemed like the only stated reason those two wanted a match so much was to give something to the people. Any actual "cementing my legacy" or other explainations for their motivations were too few and too late. I dunno, I just couldn't find myself caring as much as I wanted to.

In contrast, Rock and Punk are treating each other like opponents, like threats. Like someone they truly need to overcome for a tangible reason. Without much time to be hyped and developed at all (not officially at least), this fued is still just more coherent and interesting. Being the "bigger" fued isn't a substantial factor me when I judge quality, its just hype.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
That's one thing that really annoyed me about the build-up to Rock/Cena. Despite Rock's attempts to make their feud a bit more serious, Cena just kept on smiling and passed off Rock's remarks as if they were nothing. That's why I've been enjoying the Rock/Punk build-up more, even though it only been going on for two weeks. Unlike, Rock/Cena, Rock and Punk are clearly working together to create entertaining and compelling television. They're feeding off one another's lines and reacting to them in the right manner. Rock/Cena was all about each man trying to one up each other, and while it was fun at times, it didn't make their match feel quite as special as it should have.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Guess I meant because it was set up a year in advance which gave it a special feel and did think at least at first the promotion was pretty good, and the slow build was good too.