Take-Two To Acquire WWE Video Game License From THQ

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
According to Bloomberg News, Take-Two Interactive Software Inc. will acquire the WWE video game license from the bankrupt THQ Inc.
THQ's contracts with WWE and Yuke’s Co., a Japanese- based game-developer that was helping THQ produce the WWE video games, will be terminated and the companies will be allowed to enter into new agreements with Take-Two.
According to court documents file this week, Take-Two will agree to hire several THQ’s employees that worked on WWE games and WWE will drop its pre-bankruptcy claim against THQ for $45 million, which was for annual royalty advances that ran through 2017. THQ will pay WWE $650,000 in royalty payments for WWE games that were sold while under bankruptcy protection.

Doesn't seem like it's gonna end all that bad I hope.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
This is terrible news IMHO. THQ and Yuke's were the only ones who made wrestling video games I could stomach.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I've personally never heard of them, hope they can produce a good WWE game though.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
This is terrible news IMHO. THQ and Yuke's were the only ones who made wrestling video games I could stomach.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Well, I mean they are hiring several of the THQ people who worked on the other games so it shouldn't be too bad I guess.

I've personally never heard of them, hope they can produce a good WWE game though.

They own 2K and Rockstar

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Yeah 2K and Rockstar are amazing. And that's why they are hiring THQ guys who have worked on the game.

Castiel

Reaction score
Take Two are pretty killer. It should be nice to see a significant change in WWE games.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Maybe real multi-player storylines that like the old smackdown 2 game.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Ah I dig this. The 2k sports franchises are easily my favorit, compared to EA Sports. Not only that, but who doesn't love GTA, Red Dead Revolver, or Midnight Club? WWE being under that same umbrella means we could definitely see some more comprehensive gameplay and some more inspired work coming from the producers of some of the best games out there.

What I would really love is some sort of concept game by the WWE, as in a Monday Night Wars game. I know WWE '12 and '13 each had plenty of involvement from both WCW and the stars of the Attitude Era, but a full frontal Monday Night Wars game? Filled with GM control, contract buy outs, full on ownership of a brand and competition as the superstars of both WCW and the WWF? Fuck yeah I'd buy that shit.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
That would be a pretty dope game actually. If they made the games open world within the wrestling world would be nice like a cross between Here Comes The Pain/Just Bring It

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
WWE2K

In the wake of THQ's recent bankruptcy, there's been one question on the mind of absolutely everyone with any proximity, interest or involvement in the gaming industry: "BUT WHAT ABOUT WWE GAMES!?" Well, lay off the caps lock, friendo, because we've finally got some news for you…

WWE Games is going to its new home of critically and commercially acclaimed publisher 2K.

Yup, that's right, future WWE Games titles, including WWE '14, will now share a roof with awesome games like the NBA 2K and MLB 2K sports titles, the plasmid-utilizing juggernaut franchise BioShock and more. Finally, we can come clean about our obsession with Borderlands 2!

We're all looking forward to a new era of WWE Games, but there's no need to worry that there will be any loss of continuity from the old days, as the good folks at 2K have brought on the WWE Games team you know and love. That means that folks like Creative Director Cory Ledesma, Senior Game Designer Bryan Williams and yes, even your hapless Community Manager Aubrey Sitterson will continue bringing you the hard-hitting sports-entertainment action you so desperately need. You're welcome.

We here at WWE Games are at least as excited as you must be about this news, as 2K is fully committed to helping our team create the game that they envision, and that you, our faithful fans deserve. With the support of the tremendous, talented teams at 2K, we all have great things to look forward to.

While we can all expect some great changes and leaps forward, don't think for a minute that we're forgetting where we've been, as WWE '13 will now be fully supported by 2K. Stay tuned for more on what this entails.

Thanks so much for your patience during the transition period, and your continued patience as we forge this new path. We know it was super-frustrating not knowing where your favorite game franchise was going to end up, but we're confident that you'll be absolutely thrilled with the final result.

And, as always, make sure to follow @WWEGames on Twitter and like us on Facebook for all the latest on your favorite games, contests, rad WWE '13 videos and, quite possibly, some Borderlands 2 chitchat.

http://www.2ksports.com/wwe

Absolutely brilliant news! I love 2K Sports and I'm sure they'll make this franchise very good.

Reactions: 1 person

Starr

Reaction score
I absolutely love NBA 2k13, I can't imagine how great WWE 2k14 is going to be. My excitement is going off the charts. This is going to be truly great. One I cannot wait for.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I really hope there's a "My Player" type of mode, that mode on NBA is brilliant.

Starr

Reaction score
Goodness yes! I play 2k13 like it's my religion because of that said mode. If WWE 2k14 has it, I'll merk. End. Of. Story.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Now that I've had time to let this settle, I remain very very excited. I've played NBA 2k13 practically nonstop since I got it in November so no doubt I'm stoked for this. BUT at the same time, I feel like the creation abilities on 2k games are sub-par. I get that there's not as much emphasis on creation of an NBA player as there would be on that of a sports entertainer, but I still have to worry a little, because I personally like to create wrestlers on WWE games. I just hope they can uphold the same standard of character creation they've had an even make it a little better even, so that created wrestlers don't stick out like sore thumbs on the match cards/ previews/ character selections, etc. That's one thing I would definitely look to fix if I was in control of a WWE game.