Tag Teams.Where Did WWE go wrong:The Rise and Fall of Tag Teams

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

MikeRaw

I have been confused for quite some time about the entity that is The Tag Division...Now as we all know,tag teams USED to be a huge part of wrestling and one could be a main eventer in a tag team.Hell,tag teams used to be a KEY aspect of the WWE...But that was the 70's,80's and 90's.I understand that things change over the course of time but lets take a look back over the past few years of the Rise and Fall of the Tag Teams...
In the early 2000's we still had a FEW good stables floating around and some great tag gimmicks as well as we came off the heels of the 90's where teams were so popular.Now,these teams in the early 2000's werent used as main event teams,but instead something better:A solid high mid-card teams that would team together to be pushed to superstardom and prepare them for the Main Event.So tag teams were still heavily involved in the WWE until lets say...Hmm...Maybe 2005ish.
Now around this time,they began to slowly sink off the ship.I mean,Evolution fell apart to make singles stasrs and what good team were there?The Heartthrobs...No...The Highlanders?Yed...But were they pushed?No...Hurricane and The Shit...One word:Joke...
So as you can see eveything sort of dissintegrated but that was alright because the main focus was on providing a great main even scene.Im not going to debate the main event scene becauset hats another story but lets move on...:
Now lets go t recent memory...Starting near the end of last year,we saw a bright future for the tag division...We had teams like Cryme Time,The New Breed,Deuce N Domino,The Hardyz,Cade N Murdoch,Highlanders,WGTT was ok...Rated RKO,DX,The Majors came up early this year....So we had alot of teams that could perform well and entertain the fans.Then,around Wrestlemania time,they really started to capitalize on this,using DnD,Hardyz,London/Kendrick,WGTT,Cade/Murdoch and even Cryme Tim ein some high stakes matches.An up until around July,we saw a tag team belt defended at a lot of PPV's and good tag team feuds.Also,Cryme Time and DnD couldve had a greast feud as well.
But now,the WWE has forgotten the tag teamers and seems to hav eburied them,even the tag champs Cade/Murdoch and Deuce/Domino seemed buried...
Now heres where I think the WWE went wrong in order for this to happen.The main problem is that there is no big feuds for them.You see,there COULD BE big feuds and entertaining feuds,such as Cryme Time vs Cade/Murdoch or Hardyz vs London/Kendrick or DnD vs Majors or pretty much anything that could be made work with one team of great ability and a team like DnD who have some decent promo skills.Instead,every time a feud is on the verge of breaking out,the WWE changes their mind and ends it,leading to no way to keep a good feud going...Another thing that went wrong is their lack of pushing...There is NO REASON why The Hioghlanders couldnt be pushed or the WGTT.The WGHTT puts on some great matches,now maybe not push them big time but a little push would be nice...But The highalnders could have some good feuds with Cade/Murdoch or DnD or even some other teams.Instead they job on heat...And the last problem to allow this fall of the tag teams is that they dont think before they buy.What I mean by that is they give contracts to all these teams and then decide to bury them.They should be thinking if they have a use for them before they sign them up...
If you want to look a bright spot though,with The Hart Foundation coming up there may be another uprising in the tag division:)
So the whole point of this long-ass thread was for me to say whats wrong IMO with the WWE and their teams.So you tell me:
So whats your opinions...Do you agree with my reasons here?Do you disAgree?Do you think the WWE ought to push teams more?
Whatever you think,let me know:)

Bradders

Reaction score
Awesome post, where they went wrong was because of stupid gimmicks and putting the wrong people over, Londrick don't need a gimmick and they are perfect to help the tag team division now.

The Rated R CMStar

In fact, the tag division is kind the Women's division. WWE tries for a while but then gets tired and leaves it floating putting random matches.

WWE had tried with tag teams, Rated RKO vs DX, the whole Hardys vs Lance Cade and Murdoch and also DnD vs Lendrick, a few time ago the whole MNM vs Lendrcik thing and even the MNM and Hardys little rivalry. What happens is that when they begin trying something happens, DX was going to win the titles from Rated RKO soon and have great tag feuds, but HHH gets injured. The Hardys were having big feuds but SD gets a lack of stars and they need Matt singles, and now they can have many tag feuds because they will center more on Mcmahon and his sired children with the low ratings

Christian

Reaction score
Last time I really loved the tag team division was on Smackdown when Rey/Edge, Chavo/Eddie, and Benoit/Angle were feuding.

straight_edge76

Rated RKO was my favorite Team; L&K and DnD deserve a push. The Redneck Wrecking Crew (Cade & Murdock's original name) really have been buried; when was the last time you saw them on Raw other the the BS "Match of Champions"

Travis40

Rated RKO was my favorite Team; L&K and DnD deserve a push. The Redneck Wrecking Crew (Cade & Murdock's original name) really have been buried; when was the last time you saw them on Raw other the the BS "Match of Champions"

Damn it I hate when people spell wrestler's name's wrong, it's Murdoch, not Murdock, but anyways, the Tag Team Division has shit itself and I think they need to start all over, now 99 and 00 were the best times for the tag division, but now...it's just in the toilet

Reaction score
WWE has unfortunately forgotten that wrestling needs to be a weel rounded program to be successful. They need a balence of technical wrestling, tag teams, solid fueds, main event stars, maybe osme women or comedy matches thrown in...and all while making sense....but the wwe doesnt follwo that...

its all force-fed what they want us to cheer or boo...thankfully many of us voice our issues...weather they are heard or not. i think the problem with the tag division is that WWE is now focused on being a heavyweight champion. that is supposed to be everyones ultimate dream right? so everyone should gun for the top guy. They dont see that their can be two guys that work well together and have a match and fued with two other guys. They dont see the need for stables that are together as well as in singles matches...liek the horsemen....any form of a "stable" or team is one solid unit and gets stale fast...like the spirit squad or new breed. the only tag team WWE uses is putting two fueding singles stars together....like the Taker/Batista vs Cena/HBK matches....or RKO vs DX...or Cena/Umaga vs Carlito/Orton....and saddly is kills real teams...and it hurts WWE even more.

so much potential gone to waste....which has been wwe's style for a looooong time now.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Well its no secret that the tag division is shit and I cant really point to a good reason why other than the WWE have just stopped caring. And its really sad but in all honesty, the tag division is full of greenhorns and guys who arent developed. We might as well be watching OVW. Back in the day the WWE tag division had senior tag teams and rookie tag teams. I mean I know the Rednecks and London and Kendrick have been around for 5 years or more but they dont feel like established stars. Back in the day if you around for 5 years and you were a champ, you had something. I have no idea what they are doing now. I mean the more I think about it, I think Vince just keeps them (the tag titles) because if he were to get rid of them, people would fucking flip out. But if this is what he's gonna do with them, fucking axe them.

The Leviathan

Reaction score
RAW have lots of tag teams unlike SD, the only really problem is their storylines and fueds. I think they should continue the WGTT/Lendrick's mini fued... it's quite good and entertaining, and the team of London & Kendrick is really good... They are just like the 80/90's Rockers....

Truth

Reaction score
I think the WWE has an excellent group of tag teams. Cade and Murdoch, Cryme Tyme, London and Kendrick, Deuce and Domino, WGTT, thats a very impressive group. Cade and Murdoch, Cryme Tyme and Deuce/Domino have great characters and are all good on hte mic. They have the hard hitting style but put on good matches and all work very well as a team. Then you have London/Kendrick and WGTT, Benjamin is decent on the mic, but besides that the other 3 suck. None the less this 4 men are the high flying, entertaining tag teams and put on a good contrast to the other 3 teams. Look at Raw, whens the last time you saw Cade and Murdoch besides the all champions match? Whens the last time you saw them in a feud? Hardys. I think what they need to do is put all the tag teams on one brand, SD is probably the better choice although I'd rather it be on Raw. And then really promote the division, unify the tag belts and get good fueds going. If Noble and Hornswoggle can work a feud on TV, then so can the tag division.

MattHardyV1

Reaction score
Well shit as of late Deuce and Domino have been in the main event and shit....but yeh they do need a good fued...I honestly dont feel the need for all these tag fueds though..The last really good one was Murdoch/Cade vs Hardyz....You may think im joking but im 90% serious when i tell you that I would perfer Noble/Hornswaggle over Deuce and Domino vs Jesse and Festus........

Reaction score
WWE has great tag teams but they dont use them like they used to in the dayz of the dudleyz, hardyz and E&C

btman

Reaction score
Jesse and Festus against Deuce and Domino... Can't you wait? Epic match -_-

Reaction score
The WWE have stopped caring for it and thats all. There main focus is the ME scene whichj like you said this is not the right place to debate. I think they could make one Tag belt joint with ECW to give it more competition. I think that could help as they could have cross brand fueds