Squid Game Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
Same really, I need a ringing endorsement that the dub is just as good bc I don't trust silly Americans to translate the intricacies of other cultures:lol

I pay more attention to shows in their original language too. When you understand it's easier to get tempted to put it on in the background and listen. You can't do that if you don't understand what they're saying. :vincepoint

RDK

All glory to God
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
I pay more attention to shows in their original language too. When you understand it's easier to get tempted to put it on in the background and listen. You can't do that if you don't understand what they're saying. :vincepoint
The English voices are so unbearable here too

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Episode 1 thoughts:

Okay first off the lead actor is incredible. Right out of the gates I could tell he was somebody I was going to like and be able to root for. Very flawed guy but has likeable qualities about him, and the guy who plays him is able to capture a wide range of emotions which is a huge plus. I really love characters like that. I loved the build-up towards the final stretches of the episode and it made me want to watch more but it's super late right now. The world and atmosphere is all top notch, been very impressed with the performances from the cast. I can already see why it's getting so much praise and I haven't even reached the meat of the show yet.

Definitely watch this in Korean if you can. It just captures the emotions far better than the dub ever will.

Y2Jayne

2 levels above, 2 steps ahead
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Wrestler
9nCExBd
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Favorite Wrestler
LBaYVuW
Favorite Wrestler
ToxicA
Haven't watched this because I don't have Netflix anymore but I heard some students are playing games inspired by it and getting injured
:fplam:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I haven't watched either but I thought all the games on the show were already popular kids games at least in South Korea lmao

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I haven't watched either but I thought all the games on the show were already popular kids games at least in South Korea lmao
should be yeah. although red light green light we played here too

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Lmaoooo that's great bc when I first heard of the concept this was one of the first games I thought of :lol didn't know it was actually in the show

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Lmaoooo that's great bc when I first heard of the concept this was one of the first games I thought of :lol didn't know it was actually in the show
its a pretty great scene is all ill say

Marty McFourth

Reaction score

I can't get over that part towards the end of the first episode with 'Fly Me to the Moon' playing. Such a beautiful cover of it, but what was happening on screen was totally fucked. :lol Amazing moment that I think has really made me want to finish the show badly.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Episode 2. There was a lot of great character building and story develompment, loving this show so far. There are so many interesting and diverse characters in the show, and each actor really brings their own flavour to their roles. Superb stuff.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I really enjoyed Episode 2. There was a lot of great character building and story develompment, loving this show so far. There are so many interesting and diverse characters in the show, and each actor really brings their own flavour to their roles. Superb stuff.
So many great characters. Mafia boss n middle aged lady are amazing

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
So many great characters. Mafia boss n middle aged lady are amazing

The mafia boss guy is great because it reminds me of the Yakuza games. It's so tight. I think what really sets the show apart from so many others is how it seamlessly switches to other characters but they don't feel like side plots. All these characters could have easily been the leading character and nobody would have batted an eye.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
The mafia boss guy is great because it reminds me of the Yakuza games. It's so tight. I think what really sets the show apart from so many others is how it seamlessly switches to other characters but they don't feel like side plots. All these characters could have easily been the leading character and nobody would have batted an eye.
:WOW that a great observation

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Show was amazing tbh. First time in a while I've watched a show and it not had any moments of feeling like a chore or a drag. They even made the penultimate episode shorter and didn't force every single one to be an hour. Filling episodes with pointless filler is what brings shows down. More shows should do that if they feel an episode has told that episode's story in 30 minutes. I like the way they pace their shows in Korea.

Performances were incredible across the board, I still think the Mafia boss guy is my favourite actor in the show.

b89bdffd36cb4315d30e3c917e67aed15614d3ce.gifv

Usually I don't 'get the hype' with most Netflix shows but by the end of Episode 1 it was quite obvious why this was getting praise, and I'm thankful people wouldn't stop going on about it otherwise I probably would have scrolled past this on Netflix. It's made me pay more attention to foreign shows.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Mafia bro and insane middle aged lady were probably my faves too. just great characters all around from good guys to bad guys. just a brilliant show