Sports Entertainment killed Wrestling

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hometown Kid

That's because North America is so damn sold on soap opera type entertainment that real wrestling would make people fall asleep.

Well a lot of people are in love with UFC and the like in North America, and there is rarely any storyline development at all in that. I don't really like MMA much, the matches in it are generally short and lame as fuck, but most people love it because it's like wrestling, but well respected as being "real", WWE is a joke with almost no real in it. If wrestling got treated like it is in other countries, straight matches could get over.

At least in Japan I know that they have angles and mic work and silliness too to be fair, it's not all matches on weekly shows and the like. And many great stories over the years. (Not that you or me or most of America would understand that Asian mumbling. ;D)

LadyHotrod

It's just way too much talk up here. I haven't watched a shit ton of Japanese wrestling but, from what I have seen, it's not a complete joke like it is up here. They throw in a bit of verbal shit here and there but I don't think their shows consist of 90% talking.

I could be wrong, but, again, from what I have seen, the focus seems to be more on the wrestling part of it as opposed to the talking part.

As for MMA, it's more violent and people love to watch guys legit get beat up. It's the real deal. That is what I think attracts so many people. When a guy wins a title in MMA, he won it without having to follow a script, which makes him a legit good fighter and not a guy who gets the belt because he has a good gimmick.

Hometown Kid

It's just way too much talk up here. I haven't watched a shit ton of Japanese wrestling but, from what I have seen, it's not a complete joke like it is up here. They throw in a bit of verbal shit here and there but I don't think their shows consist of 90% talking.

I could be wrong, but, again, from what I have seen, the focus seems to be more on the wrestling part of it as opposed to the talking part.

As for MMA, it's more violent and people love to watch guys legit get beat up. It's the real deal. That is what I think attracts so many people. When a guy wins a title in MMA, he won it without having to follow a script, which makes him a legit good fighter and not a guy who gets the belt because he has a good gimmick.

True on both accounts. :y: But that was kinda my point, fans see MMA as real, in Japan and whatnot it's viewed and respected as if it were real. America sees wrestling as a gay ballet soap opera like you said before.

the408kid

Reaction score
Don't make me rant about people blaming the PG rating. Everyone knows how much I fucking hate when people say this shit.
OH SHUTUP THE PG RATING IS RUINING STORYLINES, MAKING GOOFY CHARACTERS LIKE HORNSWAGGLE, AND ITS LIKE SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE IS MAKING A WRESTLING SPOOF, FUCK THE PG ERA AND FUCK YOU FOR SAYING YOU'LL RANT AGAINST PEOPLE WHO DO! IM GLAD YOUR MY ENEMY ON HERE CAUSE I QUESTION YOUR BRAIN YOU FUCKIN BITCH! Now just like Dan The Cannon would say " Dam I feel Better"

LadyHotrod

OH SHUTUP THE PG RATING IS RUINING STORYLINES, MAKING GOOFY CHARACTERS LIKE HORNSWAGGLE, AND ITS LIKE SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE IS MAKING A WRESTLING SPOOF, FUCK THE PG ERA AND FUCK YOU FOR SAYING YOU'LL RANT AGAINST PEOPLE WHO DO! IM GLAD YOUR MY ENEMY ON HERE CAUSE I QUESTION YOUR BRAIN YOU FUCKIN BITCH! Now just like Dan The Cannon would say " Dam I feel Better"

Quoting to make sure the mods see you flaming outside of HIAT.

Tisk tisk.

Moonlight Drive

Wow, 408, I thought intelligent posts about wrestling weren't your forte. But with that methodical tearing apart of Lady Hotrod's post, you've proved yourself to be not only credible, but possibly the greatest poster this forum has or ever will see. I hope I never get into a disagreement with you, for fear of being shown to look like an idiot with your sharp debating skills.

the408kid

Reaction score
Wow, 408, I thought intelligent posts about wrestling weren't your forte. But with that methodical tearing apart of Lady Hotrod's post, you've proved yourself to be not only credible, but possibly the greatest poster this forum has or ever will see. I hope I never get into a disagreement with you, for fear of being shown to look like an idiot with your sharp debating skills.
I can be a nice guy bro, and I'll be honest and say I dont have the best debating skills I just had to get something off my chest. Now on the Sports Entertainment killed wrestling thing, although their were storylines before the Hogan era but when Vince pushed Hogan and Hulkamania took off along with Wrestlemania, then wrestling truely became more of a male soap opera. I've seen videos of the NWA around the time of the first Wrestlemania and they were pushing more of a competition brand with some storylines while the wwe was more about the soap opera and promoting larger then life characters.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
I think the rise in popularity of UFC and MMA in general might have played a role in why interest in wrestling dropped too.

Sometimes though, I get in a suspicious state of mind and believe that all of the MMA, as well as major sporting events are fixed.

straight_edge76

Nobody I think wants to watch "real" wrestling 100% of the time. Don't get me wrong a do think some of the over the top angles in WWE and TNA are stupid but just watching wrestling for the sake of wrestling gets old FAST. That is basically MMA, which I am a pretty big fan of but I cannot watch it for to long without becoming bored. The emotion of the storylines and characters is what makes wrestling as enjoyable as it is.

kingovkings

Reaction score
I used to watch UFC but not really all that much now. It get very boring very quick. I dont think Ive really watched a full card of UFC TBH. I try and catch the Brits if they are fighting now and again.

I love WWE i know it's crapy at times but i still have to watch it anyway.
I think it's always been entertainment based to a degree.

Granted more so over the years the matches are shorter the backstage skits,Promos, Mic time has got longer. Story lines are stupid at times.
But even with all that. Id much rather have all that, Than just plain wrestling, Entertainment side of it gives you a reason to get behind the feuds/story lines. Plus there is a certain balance between the two rosters.

Raw more promos, etc less wrestling. Then you have SD more wrestling less promo's and stuff. And new with NXT you get the rookies mixing it up with the pros.

So i dont think sports entertainment has killed wrestling i just thing it's evolved with the times.