Smackdown 10/10/14 results

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Which also makes the action much worse, because, you know. It's also stupid; every pole match is stupid. So what was going to be a positive, well, not necessarily it's going to suck but it's not gonna be that great either.

Agreed.

HIAC, along with Payback and Battleground is the shittiest PPV of the year.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Which also makes the action much worse, because, you know. It's also stupid; every pole match is stupid. So what was going to be a positive, well, not necessarily it's going to suck but it's not gonna be that great either.
Actually, when done effectively and with the right opponents/elements are very good.
If you ever watch the movie 'Glory', the flag is being held up in the midst of battle.
Two opponents beating each other to such an extent they must scratch, claw and climb bruised and all and finally reach the mountain top.
Try and not allow Vince Russo to have clouded your judgment that all pole matches have Judy Bagwell at the top of it.

Bullrope matches, flag matches and Last Man Standing, if not overdone, are all very effective gimmick matches.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Actually, when done effectively and with the right opponents/elements are very good.
If you ever watch the movie 'Glory', the flag is being held up in the midst of battle.
Two opponents beating each other to such an extent they must scratch, claw and climb bruised and all and finally reach the mountain top.
Try and not allow Vince Russo to have clouded your judgment that all pole matches have Judy Bagwell at the top of it.

Bullrope matches, flag matches and Last Man Standing, if not overdone, are all very effective gimmick matches.

Doesn't matter the stipulation... All that matters is that Ambrose has to win.

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
When is someone going to come in and knock some sense into that little troll? I'm hoping Kharma does it, but i doubt it.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Doesn't matter the stipulation... All that matters is that Ambrose has to win.
They may be booking him in an Austin-like fashion during his 96-97 years.
During this period he spent a great deal of time losing to Bret Hart and being screwed out of his Rumble victory.
The stipulation would be significant in the case Ambrose because I don't recall Steve Austin ever pinning Bret Hart.
With the premise set here (with the pole match) we have a scenario where Ambrose goes over while Cena doesn't take a fall.

Either way, I'm semi-convinced this Ambrose/Rollins feud won't climax until Wrestlemania (call me optimistic).

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score

LMS matches are pretty cool. Have to say that Russo's work does put a damper on Pole matches forever now; you have a point there. I think it's less appealing than a straight up match though, and climbing a pole just always looks silly.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
They may be booking him in an Austin-like fashion during his 96-97 years.
During this period he spent a great deal of time losing to Bret Hart and being screwed out of his Rumble victory.
The stipulation would be significant in the case Ambrose because I don't recall Steve Austin ever pinning Bret Hart.
With the premise set here (with the pole match) we have a scenario where Ambrose goes over while Cena doesn't take a fall.

Either way, I'm semi-convinced this Ambrose/Rollins feud won't climax until Wrestlemania (call me optimistic).

Yeah, it's likely they are booking him that way. And I don't mind it, it's interesting 'cause Rollins and Ambrose have great chemistry together.

I'm pretty convinced Ambrose will go over Cena in a Pole match, so yeah, Cena won't take the fall 'cause it's not gonna be a victory by pinfall or submission.

I think it'll be ending at either TLC or Survivor Series (with the MITB briefcase on the line and that's gonna be it). WM is so far away from now, so I don't think their feud would last that long, it certainly could, but I just don't see it.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Vince Russo would have booked a 'Seth Rollins On A Pole' match if he were still writing for WWE.

I was gonna come here to bury the 'Contract On A Pole' stipulation myself, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's the right way to book the match. Having to climb the pole to grab the contract protects both guys from taking a pinfall loss. And in Ambrose's case, he shouldn't really be getting a big pinfall victory over Cena at this point in his career anyway. Ambrose is still climbing his way to the top and it's a momentous event anytime someone pins John Cena cleanly, so why would you go ahead and blow your load on a big victory like that for Ambrose NOW? That should only happen when Ambrose is a bigger star and the feud is all about Ambrose vs Cena as opposed to them competing just to get to someone else first. For similar reasons, I feel it also increases the chances of Ambrose going over here.

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
Reaction score
Of course, if Cena does go over in the 'Pole match' Ambrose doesn't necessarily lose momentum either.
He would, however go onto face Randy Orton (if that rumor is to be believed) and pull out a victory.
From there, Orton and Ambrose may feud between Hell in a Cell and TLC, putting the Ambrose/Rollins comeuppance until Wrestlemania.
By December, the seeds my be planted for Orton's face turn while effectively putting Dean Ambrose over.
Meanwhile, Cena/Rollins feud for a bit before the former heads into a feud with Rusev.

With Orton keeping Ambrose busy through December, January and February are high profile gimmick PPV's. Wrestlemania could be the ideal spot for Rollins/Ambrose.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
It is true that it's wise to protect both guys. Ambrose shouldn't be getting pinned, and he shouldn't beat Cena when the build is about who is going to beat up Seth Rollins, which would make a victory over the face of the company for the last 10 years play 2nd fiddle, which it shouldn't. But couldn't they do a Tables match or whatever?

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
It is true that it's wise to protect both guys. Ambrose shouldn't be getting pinned, and he shouldn't beat Cena when the build is about who is going to beat up Seth Rollins, which would make a victory over the face of the company for the last 10 years play 2nd fiddle, which it shouldn't. But couldn't they do a Tables match or whatever?

Well, we're likely getting a Tables match between someone at TLC in just two months, so it probably wasn't a lucrative idea in this case.

I was personally thinking this match, especially if it was made into No Holds Barred, would end up similar to HHH vs Punk from Night Of Champions a few years ago. Both guys end up attacked by others and whoever won would be just a serendipity matter of who got to their feet and managed to hit their finisher on the other guy first. In HHH and Punk's case, their attackers were Kevin Nash and Awesome Truth. Here, it would have been Seth Rollins, Kane and Randy Orton. That would have been a good way of protecting both guys despite a pinfall loss being involved, but alas, I have no issue with the contract being on a pole.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Well, we're likely getting a Tables match between someone at TLC in just two months, so it probably wasn't a lucrative idea in this case.

I was personally thinking this match, especially if it was made into No Holds Barred, would end up similar to HHH vs Punk from Night Of Champions a few years ago. Both guys end up attacked by others and whoever won would be just a serendipity matter of who got to their feet and managed to hit their finisher on the other guy first. In HHH and Punk's case, their attackers were Kevin Nash and Awesome Truth. Here, it would have been Seth Rollins, Kane and Randy Orton. That would have been a good way of protecting both guys despite a pinfall loss being involved, but alas, I have no issue with the contract being on a pole.
Yeah, I would also rather they did something like that.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
JBL doing the Teddy Long dance was my TV moment of the year