Should We Change How The Rankings Work?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Davey Wrestling

Does AEW have your attention now?!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
bwpLynH
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Morning all,

Appologies for length, but this is something I've been thinking about and I wanted to throw it out there for you guys to think on :)

There's a TL/DR just above the table below if you don't want the thought process.

For those that didn't skip: we're into our fourth month of the World Prediction Rankings now and, as we're bringing new people in fairly often, we're beginning to see what the negative effect of deciding the rankings table on a winning percentage is.

New comers enter the competition and, (assuming they predict well) jump straight to the top of the rankings table because their winning percentage will be higher, because they've predicted on less matches.

The reason winning percentages work in sports is because eventually, everybody will play the same number of regular season games, but with people jumping in through the year here, and others predicting from the very beginning that simply won't happen with our Prediction Competiton.

That said, as with the few rule changes we've made so far, I'd like to offer a suggestion to you guys and allow you to decide on a fair way of ranking our competitors moving forwards.

The caveat is that any changes made will not take place until after the King of the Ring finals - I've already stated how KOTR qualification will work and I don't think it's fair to pull the rug out from anybody that may currently be qualified but wouldn't be under any new system we instigate. As the way challenging for the prediction title will work changes after the KOTR is crowned, I think that's a good time to implement any changes to the rankings system too.

My suggestion:

In my opinion, publishing the rankings based on the new metric of wins - losses (winning difference) is a better fit for our competition. By doing it this way longevity, a factor that absolutely needs to be considered, can be a positive rather than a negative, as making lots of predictions and doing well will improve your (Wins - Losses) record. As it stands it's actually a bigger positive to make fewer predictions and do well as you'll have a higher winning percentage - this is why we've seen newcomers like Raidokken and Cwalker jump straight to the top of the rankings on their debut events.

Ranking on wins minus losses/winning difference doesn't greatly penalise new comers either, as you can see on the table below (based on the actual figures but ranked on winning difference instead of winning percentage/total) After only 23 matches predicted, Raidokken still cracks the top 5 while other players with a greater longevity but a lower success rate are much further down the table.

This system, I believe, lowers the advantage that simple longevity brings. If we take Jeffatron and Pat as the comparison point, using a wins only system Pat would rank higher than Jeff despite having a loosing record, but using this system Jeff ranks higher because he's got more of his predictions right. As it is now, based on winning percentage, Jeff is in fourth place despite only predicting on 10 matches, so as can be seen from the table below this system also eliminates the advantage that making less predictions gives competitors.

In good old Reddit style, the too long didn't read:

Essentially I believe that the current ranking system is biased towards newcomers and people that are doing really well for a long time should see a benefit for their longevity and ability to predict well. I believe basing the rankings on the difference between wins and losses would achieve that goal.

What do you think?

Example of the table if it were based on Winning Difference:

Rank Competitor Wins Losses Total W - L (Winning Difference)
1​
Jimmy King
40​
13​
0.755​
27​
2​
Chris
35​
18​
0.660​
17​
3​
Doom
34​
19​
0.642​
15​
4​
Booty
33​
20​
0.623​
13​
5​
Raidokken
17​
6​
0.739​
11​
6​
The EC
32​
21​
0.604​
11​
7​
Davey Wrestling
32​
21​
0.604​
11​
8​
Cwalker
13​
4​
0.765​
9​
9​
Lady Hotrod
16​
9​
0.640​
7​
10​
Grim
22​
15​
0.595​
7​
11​
Sky
22​
15​
0.595​
7​
12​
OMB
30​
23​
0.566​
7​
13​
Mitch Perfect
16​
11​
0.593​
5​
14​
Blaze
29​
24​
0.547​
5​
15​
Jeffatron
7​
3​
0.700​
4​
16​
HoHo
20​
17​
0.541​
3​
17​
Petty Timberlake
20​
17​
0.541​
3​
18​
GOD
27​
26​
0.509​
1​
19​
TeaDrinkingLimey
5​
5​
0.500​
0​
20​
Pat
10​
11​
0.476​
-1​
21​
Juice
3​
7​
0.300​
-4​

Last edited:

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
I'd say, and hear me out:

Have World Championship defended via Win% (with the caveat of it needing to be defended every PPV or else it goes to the 2nd highest win % and so on), and have another title for the PPV results.

Davey Wrestling

Does AEW have your attention now?!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Favorite Wrestler
UserAEW
Favorite Wrestler
bwpLynH
Favorite Wrestler
05chlfC
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
and have another title for the PPV results.

;)

Capture2.png

appearance might change before it's finished....

#OpenThePredictionGate

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I voted for the win-lose one you suggested. I'm about the same place I would be I think either way :TI: but like people who play more, do deserve to have the better results on this. Because someone could come in near the end of the year and finish at the top, screwing someone who played from the start and was at the top year round.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Well, I went with the win-loss record.

But, I don't think the world title and it's winner should be decided at the end of every show via win percentage. It should still be based on who had the most correct.

I don't agree with that, and basically having a second title as a mere oh you didn't have a great winning percentage. And, that basically alienates people who haven't been predicting since the beginning. So, if someone has a perfect run during a PPV they won't qualify to win it because they don't have the winning percentage of someone who has been able to predict more events. So, here's this second title. Good luck on ever being world champion though with that being your fate. You wanna be world champion better make sure you are predicting at the very beginning of the following year.

That in fact defeats the purpose of having the world title being based on who predicts the most correctly. That's just how I see it.

RDK

All glory to God
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
Favorite Sports Team
eZIPN8K
I'm for wins-losses even if it drops me down the rankings

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I like wins/losses and not just bc it raises me in the rankings :side:

Also @Juice...you gotta redeem yourself for being at the bottom of this table lol

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
Considering I haven't actually watched any wrestling in 3 months - I am happy with 3 correct results.

Reactions: Chris

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
I happy for whatever doesn't alienate me from joining late.

Reactions: Chris

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
We should have a draft and be put in divisions....

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
win/loss is fine, can introduce titles and/or seasons so that new people also get a chance at titles eventually. im fine with whatever tbh tbh