Should Roman Reigns move on from the Kevin Owens Rivalry

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G
How did they waste it? It's still the starting point for the Nakamura face turn and feud with Roman. Just because it hasn't materialised at the next ppv does not mean it was a waste. That's very short term thinking
I can tell how they waste it they basically used as a match card filler on the show.

Don't act like we haven't seen these types actions from Vince and creative team.

Where a superstar is inches from achievement and they don't get it, and Vince just forgets about them all together.

It's just a way to push superstars they want not push superstars we want

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I can tell how they waste it they basically used as a match card filler on the show.

Don't act like we haven't seen these types actions from Vince and creative team.

Where a superstar is inches from achievement and they don't get it, and Vince just forgets about them all together.

Same. Exactly this.

If you put together a match like this with title implications and one star goes very far with it and is impressive, only to let someone who shouldn’t have won it, win. Then have the guy who’s already had 2 shots ultimately get it any ways, yeah, it’s stupid and not needed.

FlandyOrton

Champion
Reaction score
Nakamura puts me to sleep.

Not that I want it to happen but I can see KO winning the belt at the Rumble to keep the feud going until WM or he loses but then wins the Rumble.

I love KO but not a good time to have him win the Rumble & yeah I also agree that he shouldn't do the stunner. When guys do that it just screams unoriginal. Especially when it's like the greatest superstar in history it's not going to be as good.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Nakamura puts me to sleep.

Not that I want it to happen but I can see KO winning the belt at the Rumble to keep the feud going until WM or he loses but then wins the Rumble.

I love KO but not a good time to have him win the Rumble & yeah I also agree that he shouldn't do the stunner. When guys do that it just screams unoriginal. Especially when it's like the greatest superstar in history it's not going to be as good.
KO isn’t winning the title.
Also, while I agree that Nakamura can be boring, it would be a nice change of pace for reigns.
And yes KO using the stunner is stupid.

Redboy123@

Reaction score

That gauntlet match was not filler...it literally had a main event storyline as well as put over and turn Nakamura. Filler is a match that has no storyline progression in it.

Give me examples cuz I can give you examples where they have done it because its literally wrestling booking 101. They've been doing it for year's.

People loved Nakamura getting pushed so I don't know what you mean.

Same. Exactly this.

If you put together a match like this with title implications and one star goes very far with it and is impressive, only to let someone who shouldn’t have won it, win. Then have the guy who’s already had 2 shots ultimately get it any ways, yeah, it’s stupid and not needed.
Despite Adam Pearce being the authority figure, Roman is really the man who runs that show. So it makes sense and I've already pointed out that Kevin Owens deserves a title shot and if they book correctly Nakamura will get one in the bear future.

Nakamura has had some of the best matches in the last 20 years so I'm sure he can put his working cap on with one of the most well received wrestlers in some time

FlandyOrton

Champion
Reaction score
KO isn’t winning the title.
Also, while I agree that Nakamura can be boring, it would be a nice change of pace for reigns.
And yes KO using the stunner is stupid.
Yes it is, I agree & meh stranger things have happened in WWE. Especially if Vince doesn't have a match yet & wants that feud to keep going. We all know how much he likes to beat a dead horse. Not like Kevin doesn't deserve it more.

As far as Nakamura goes, I just really don't want to see him at Mania. Maybe after Mania if there's nothing better. I already got my wrestling fix with Wrestle Kingdom & would prefer a long built up story which he doesn't really have range to provide me. That's what Mania is for.

A returning Samoa Joe at the Rumble could be a cool, intense feud if done right. "You think you're the only Samoan trying to build a legacy?"

FlandyOrton

Champion
Reaction score
The big deal for me is that gauntlet match where all those guys worked their asses off and none got a shot.

But Kevin comes and replace Adam Pearce just like that...

It was a stupid call by the writers
Well to be fair Kevin's been working his ass off for years without getting a bone, not to say the other guys don't deserve one as well.

I would love to see KO vs Sami more than anything for him however

FlandyOrton

Champion
Reaction score

Oh I totally agree with that....

The gauntlet made no sense but nothing WWE does ever makes sense. In either case I feel like Nakamura is not the way to go so they should've never built up to it

Reactions: edge4ever

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
That gauntlet match was not filler...it literally had a main event storyline as well as put over and turn Nakamura. Filler is a match that has no storyline progression in it.

Give me examples cuz I can give you examples where they have done it because its literally wrestling booking 101. They've been doing it for year's.

Despite Adam Pearce being the authority figure, Roman is really the man who runs that show. So it makes sense and I've already pointed out that Kevin Owens deserves a title shot and if they book correctly Nakamura will get one in the bear future.

Nakamura has had some of the best matches in the last 20 years so I'm sure he can put his working cap on with one of the most well received wrestlers in some time
Yeah it was such a progressive gauntlet that nakamura did nothing this past week. Makes sense. I get that you love defending your posts, which is the point of this forum, but having a gauntlet match where a guy stands out, just to have a another guy who shouldn’t be anywhere near the match (Pearce), only to have a guy who’s lost twice to reigns all the sudden get handed another match, is a piss poor way of handling it. A triple threat between Nak, KO, and Roman would’ve been more interesting and fun than a last man standing match between KO and Roman I think.

Deadmanforever97

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
bookert
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
Aed870G

The only place that gauntlet match had was to be a pitstop for the Reigns and Owens feud to continue thru Adam Pearce

I can give you a prime example of a when...

"Where a superstar is inches from achievement and they don't get it, and Vince just forgets about them all together."

Their names are

Shelton Benjamin
Cesaro
Ryback
Finn Balor
Etc...

Redboy123@

Reaction score
Yeah it was such a progressive gauntlet that nakamura did nothing this past week. Makes sense. I get that you love defending your posts, which is the point of this forum, but having a gauntlet match where a guy stands out, just to have a another guy who shouldn’t be anywhere near the match (Pearce), only to have a guy who’s lost twice to reigns all the sudden get handed another match, is a piss poor way of handling it. A triple threat between Nak, KO, and Roman would’ve been more interesting and fun than a last man standing match between KO and Roman I think.
You are extremely short term minded. Just because something didn't get followed up on does not mean it has been dropped. Or wrestling fans are just as fickle and forgetful as Vince.i disagree that a triple threat would be more interesting. I'd rather a two singles matches, a triple threat would deprive Nakamura of the spotlights.

But yh why does it need to be followed up on at the very next ppv. They have the luxury of building it for another ppv.

The only place that gauntlet match had was to be a pitstop for the Reigns and Owens feud to continue thru Adam Pearce

I can give you a prime example of a when...

"Where a superstar is inches from achievement and they don't get it, and Vince just forgets about them all together."

Their names are

Shelton Benjamin
Cesaro
Ryback
Finn Balor
Etc...
Completely disagree. It started the story of Zayn making a documentary for one. It turned Nakamura face and made him relevant again. It continued the Roman ruling smackdown.

I'm not denying that they don't mess up superstars. But this booking technique is so broad that for every failure there is a success story. That's just the nature of wrestling. To complain about that is just ridiculous.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
You are extremely short term minded. Just because something didn't get followed up on does not mean it has been dropped. Or wrestling fans are just as fickle and forgetful as Vince.i disagree that a triple threat would be more interesting. I'd rather a two singles matches, a triple threat would deprive Nakamura of the spotlights.

But yh why does it need to be followed up on at the very next ppv. They have the luxury of building it for another ppv.

Completely disagree. It started the story of Zayn making a documentary for one. It turned Nakamura face and made him relevant again. It continued the Roman ruling smackdown.

I'm not denying that they don't mess up superstars. But this booking technique is so broad that for every failure there is a success story. That's just the nature of wrestling. To complain about that is just ridiculous.
You’re diving more deep and thinking about this way more than the writers or fans ever will, mainly because it sounds like you’re just grasping at straws to justify it. Just like when you defended the fiend being burnt alive and him being afraid of fire even though he literally controlled it in the match: straws.

Agree to disagree yet again.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
You’re diving more deep and thinking about this way more than the writers or fans ever will, mainly because it sounds like you’re just grasping at straws to justify it. Just like when you defended the fiend being burnt alive and him being afraid of fire even though he literally controlled it in the match: straws.

Agree to disagree yet again.
How? All in saying is they don't have to follow stuff up immediately. How is that looking into it too deeply?

Your problem is that the guantlet was a waste because Nakamura has not been followed up on at the royal rumble. I disagree with that as I can see them doing it later down the line. How is that looking too deeply into it?

If Nakamura does not get a programme with Roman in the near future then I agree with you on the guantlet being a waste. I don't see how I'm looking into it too deeply.

If I'm clutching at straws then it should be very easy to dismantle my opinion.

Last edited:

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
How? All in saying is they don't have to follow stuff up immediately. How is that looking into it too deeply?

Your problem is that the guantlet was a waste because Nakamura has not been followed up on at the royal rumble. I disagree with that as I can see them doing it later down the line. How is that looking too deeply into it?

If Nakamura does not get a programme with Roman in the near future then I agree with you on the guantlet being a waste. I don't see how I'm looking into it too deeply.

If I'm clutching at straws then it should be very easy to dismantle my opinion.
We already did dismantle it. Makes perfect sense to show Nak’s strength in a gauntlet to have it equate to nothing, only a win for Pearce, and KO randomly coming back into the fray? Yeah, okay lol.

You’re saying “it’ll be followed up down the line.” Yeah, okay, sure it will... and my mother will stop be whore: not likely. And even if it did, are they gonna reference that specifically? And if so, when is too long to wait to follow up on it? Why not follow up right away? Or at least have Nak come back the following week and admit that even though it felt wrong the way he lost, he’s not giving up and then he picks up a big win the same night? Lol, they do none of this and you’re justifying it still.

I get you want KO in the program buddy, but your justification of this horrible and pointless gauntlet is absurd.

I have a feeling nothing will happen with Nak and Roman but even if it does, unless they keep the steam train rolling with Nak, which they haven’t, the gauntlet was absolutely a waste.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
We already did dismantle it. Makes perfect sense to show Nak’s strength in a gauntlet to have it equate to nothing, only a win for Pearce, and KO randomly coming back into the fray? Yeah, okay lol.

You’re saying “it’ll be followed up down the line.” Yeah, okay, sure it will... and my mother will stop be whore: not likely. And even if it did, are they gonna reference that specifically? And if so, when is too long to wait to follow up on it? Why not follow up right away? Or at least have Nak come back the following week and admit that even though it felt wrong the way he lost, he’s not giving up and then he picks up a big win the same night? Lol, they do none of this and you’re justifying it still.

I get you want KO in the program buddy, but your justification of this horrible and pointless gauntlet is absurd.

I have a feeling nothing will happen with Nak and Roman but even if it does, unless they keep the steam train rolling with Nak, which they haven’t, the gauntlet was absolutely a waste.
As I've already said... For you Nakamura not equating to anything equals to him not in the title match at the royal rumble. Why am I adhering to your made up rules? I disagree with that completely. I think that is extremely short terminism. That is not because I'm 'looking too deeply into it'. I just don't think you can that judgement when I think Nakamura will get a title shot based of the push he got in the guantlet in the bear future...then I agree that they have squandered it. But even still that doesn't mean that Nakamura not being in the match at the rumble = nothing. Like why is there a expiory date? What's the logic in that?

Fair enough if you think it won't happen. If it doesn't happen then yh I agree they wasted it. But I don't see how you can make that judgement because he isn't getting an immediate title shot lol. Likewise I will admit I was wrong if he doesn't get a title shot, you should admit your wrong if he does, because your argument if the gauntlet meaning anything doesn't hold up.

The week after the guantley, Nakamura literally beat the man who screwed him the previous week hahaha. Sure could of done with a more direct promo from Nakamura, but that isn't a argument supporting that the guantlet was a waste. They have literally did what you are saying they didn't. Nakamura best Jimmy Uso look it up. Sure I can critic the segment for sure. But then again it's Nakamura. The guy doesn't express his thoughts in promos he kinda just takes the piss and thats it. Show don't tell. That's always been the case for Nakamura even in NJPW. I look in both sides.

If they have a ppv match then 100% the guantlet match will be referenced. In the build up. Even if it doesn't it's still a trm of foreshadowing. That would actually be an example of WWE showing and not telling.

Why not follow it up straight away? Err because why the fuck not lmao. Finish off the Owens fued with a bow and now you got the next fued aready lined up. Not everything needs to be followed up straight away that is short sighted. You are literally being the perception that Vince has of wrestling fans.

You probably just been condtioned by WWE to hate on it because they have lost all trust with their audience because of continuous bad booking. That's fair enough but you can't say I'm looking too deeply into it and say that you have dismantled my points when you just haven't. I'm making valid points that you can choose to agree with or not but in a few months when we see what is doing Nakamura then we can see who was right. I'm sure they will do Nakamura vs Roman but they may not as they can drop But I don't judge it on the royal rumble card, that is very short sighted. No wonder we don't do long term booking when thats the reaction they get from their audience.

How can you say it's absurd pointless when you haven't even given the chance to see the aftermath. This is a week to week form of entertainment. You are not going to get content all at once like a movie or book. You have to accept that.

Moan at WWE when they don't follow it up not before they could follow it up. There is a sell by date in this I suppose. It's only been 2 weeks tho. This will be an interesting thread nce we see what happens.

The goal of the guantlet was to position Nakamura as a contender for the title after him being in a failing tag team. So if he does have a match with Roman, how the hell does that make it worthless?

If your expectation is that guantlet match was to make Nakamurathe next Stone Cold then that is ridiculous