Rolling Through Royal Rumbles

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royal_Rumble_2003.jpg

2003 Royal Rumble

This is another one that I haven't watched that often. I think the reason why, though, it that I don't like the look of the set. It's way too open and bright... not really sure how else to describe it but the match itself is not bad. I found myself enjoying it, despite a few things such as the early elimination of Shawn Michaels. This was also the match that showed Chris Nowinski suffering a botched double missle dropkick attempt in which Edge directly landed on his face, causing post concussion syndrome which eventually ended his career.

Winner: 7/10

Brock Lesnar won and set up a series of matches with Kurt Angle. Every one of those matches was excellent and that alone makes him winning very worth it. But he also sort of had to win, with his face turn the previous year and they were trying to build momentum up as a face. The crowd was definitely into is, so I would think that they did pretty well.

Match 7/10

Again, I haven't watched this one a lot, but did find myself enjoying it quite a bit apart from I mentioned earlier. John Cena rapping on his way to the ring is hilarious given what Cena eventually evolved into. That was enjoyable. There were some early looks at what Bastista would become.

I enjoyed Maven trying to eliminate the Undertaker like he had the previous year, failing and paying for it again... though not as severely as last year.

Surprises: 0/10

No surprise entrants this year it seems. WWE had a huge roster at the time, so I suppose that isn't a surprise.

All in all I enjoyed watching this one, but I probably won't watch it too often. Like I said, something about the set and lighting rubs me the wrong way. But I had fun watching it this time.

Reactions: Chris

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royal_Rumble_2004.jpg

2004 The Forgotten Rumble

Here we come across the most controversial Rumble ever. Well, nothing controversial happened during the Rumble itself, but of course the match was won by Chris Benoit. I am going to try to avoid talking about things that people might disagree on regarding Benoit himself. For the most part, I will try to look at the match as it is. But I want to mention I haven't watched this one since the incident until now and it really was an entertaining match. It wasn't as hard to watch as I thought it would be.

This would be the second time that a wrestler drew number one and won the match. This feat was more impressive than Shawn Michael's win in 95 though because his Rumble was the shortest ever (thank God they never did THAT again). It was the Benoit and Randy Orton show in many ways, but watching the match, you might not even notice Benoit as much as you might think. He spends a lot of time on the mat off to the side, not really taking part in the main action.

This was the first PPV that I bought after my 5 year wrestling hiatus. So I consider it the time I became a full fledged fan again. The show was good and it set up a great main event for Wrestlemania 20.

Winner: 8/10

I am looking at this through the context of the time and not anything else. Benoit had a story going, he had the fan support and he had the underdog theme leading him to work toward going to Wrestlemania. Not only did he go from 1 to win it, he had one of the best final eliminations ever. He got rid of the big show using a guillitine that he would not let go of. It was a good performance.

Match 9/10

I really enjoyed this Rumble and every time I watched it back in the day, I enjoyed it just as much. It was a great story, as I mentioned before. There were interesting surprises. In addition to Benoit, Orton put on a great showing during the match. It almost looked like the two were going to make it to the end. Big Show, who was always the recipient of bad luck for a big guy, was showing what a giant should be like. Everyone was ganging up on him and he was channeling his inner Andre by beating them down.

Nunzio had a string of bad luck. I mean, getting attacked by Mick Foley on his way to the ring and being thrown into the ring by John Cena after hanging outside for a long time (leading to an almost instant elimination), it just wasn't his night.

I might be the only person in the world who is upset that Spike Dudley never made it into the match. I always enjoy the scrappy young guy and would have liked to see him. it was not to me.

Toward the end, when everyone was using their finishers on the Big Show, I really liked when Show recovered from it though and started kicking some butt. It was the kind of Big Show that everyone had wanted to see. He was agressive and effective.

Surprises: 10/10

Two big surprises during this match:

1. Kane buried Undertaker alive at Survivor Series and he hadn't been seen since. When Kane was dominating in the ring, Undertaker's music played as if he was entering the Rumble. This distracted Kane enough to let Booker T eliminate him. Then, when Spike Dudley came out, Kane blamed him for the music playing and took Spike out of the match with a choke slam on the ramp.

2. Test was supposed to enter at 21 but someone unseen knocked him out. Steve Austin made the unseen person the number 21 entrant in the Rumble. Earlier in the broadcast, because he said he woud say it if Mick Foley didn't show up, JR was forced to call Foley a coward. But Foley was the 21 entrant and he came in and took out Randy Orton. Foley got very violent with Orton outside the ring and a great brawl ensued for several minutes. It was the perfect surprise at the time.

So, the forgotten Rumble is one of the better ones in my view. It is a shame that a lot of people likely won't watch it because of Benoit because it really is an enjoyable show. But, of course, since it was hard for me to decide to watch it, it makes sense. But so far, one of the best ones I have reviewed.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
2004 will always be a top 10 Rumble imo.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Agreed. Over the years, I had forgotten how good it really was. I will probably watch it more often when I am in the mood for a Rumble

Reactions: Bobby Barrows

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-RR_05.jpg

The 2005 Royal Rumble was pretty interesting at the time. Most people at the time figured that the winner would either be Batista or John Cena. Batista had some differences with Triple H and Ric Flair at the time and John Cena had been on quite a roll on his own. So, it really was reminiscent of the 1994 Royal Rumble, when people thought Bret Hart of Lex Luger would be the winner and it ended up with them as the last two in the ring and the co winners.

It is not a Rumble I have watched a lot, but I was happy to give it a watch again and I rather enjoyed it.

Winner: 7/10

I was pulling for Batista at the time because I wanted to see how he would fare up against Triple H. However, it also seemed a little odd that they didn't give Cena the win. Batista was obviously walking into a feud with HHH so that match could have happened even if Cena had won the Rumble. So, it sort of made more sense to me to have Cena win it.

Of course the funniest part was when Cena and Batista both fell out of the ring and I thought, "Oh shit, it's 1994 all over again." No one knew immediately that it was a legit botch. And of course the botch led to another botch which the match is remembered for.

Match 7/10

The match was enjoyable, but I guess there is a reason it is not one of the ones I watch over and over again. There wasn't a whole special or even unique about it other than the ending.

Seeing Muhammed Hassan eliminated was pretty fun too. The sad thing is that WWE saddled such a talented wrestler with a gimmick that he could never recover from. It seemed like the only reason they had him around was to be beaten up by everyone.

Of course, then we get the immortal moment of Vince McMahon coming to the ring and tearing both of his quadriceps when he tried to get into the ring. I have to give it to Vince though, I have to imagine he was in a total amount of pain, but he sat there in the ring to restart the match before leaving.

Surprises: 4/10

The botched ending and McMahon's injury were surprises, but not planned surprises. I don't think there were any unexpected entrances in this match.

So this match lives in history mostly because of the botched ending and the botched restart of the match. Both Cena and Batista would go on to win the titles when they were at Mania.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royal_Rumble_2006_poster.jpg

Let me tell you the thing that makes me so happy is that we won't be seeing these McMahon ads from now on. The 2006 Royal Rumble truly had one of the worst DVD covers ever.

But the match itself was good. It was, of course, overshadowed by the death of the legendary Eddie Guerrero. This was Rey Mysterio's match and everyone knew it going in. But even then, they were able to make it suspenseful. This match really helped me appreciate Rey more than I did before. He made is seem like he was not going to win and did it great.

Winner: 10/10

I am not a huge Mysterio fan. But I respect him a lot. And this year, Rey was doing it for Eddie. I remember when Eddie died, I heard about it at a ceramic class I took with a friend of mine as the teacher. A student asked me, "What do you think of Eddie Guerrero dying?"

Like I mentioned before, this was Rey's match. He went from number 2 (which is the same thing as number 1 really) and won the match by eliminating Randy Orton. He went on to Wrestlemania to win the World Heavyweight title.

Match: 8/10

I haven't watched this one many times so I forgot a lot about it. There were some shennanigns I could have done without. The interference by the McMahons to get HBK out. However, I was at Wrestlemania 22 and it was fun watching Shawn get revenge on Vince.

Triple H put on one of the best perfomances of his life too. He lasted from number 1 to the final 3. He was dominant in many parts of the match. But it was all fun.

Surprises: 7/10

Tatanka coming back was really cool. WWE never really used him correctly after they broke his undefeated streak. It was nice to see him back and he did all right. I thought he was coming back for good but didn't.

Goldust was a bit of a surprise. I always liked Dustin although I despise this gimmick. I think they took a really good wrestler and made him a joke for life.

Rob Van Dam was the other surprise and it is always good to see him.

I might watch this rumble more often. I had a good time

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Tatanka actually did come back full time if I remember right, he was just on the B shows most of the time. He had a team with like Matt Hardy or some shit

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah I remember being back now that you mention it. I guess I meant I was hoping he would get like a good push. He was never a favorite of mine, but he worked hard. Plus I have a little loyalty to other American Indians (I'm Shawnee myself).

I dunno. An IC title run in his career would have be deserved

Last edited:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah I was only like 9 going on 10, but I had already gotten into previous history so I knew who Tatanka was and thought it was cool af. Was very disappointed after lmao

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
At the very least, we should have got to see his war dance. They were building him up like Hogan and Warrior, when he no sells the moves and "Hulks up." But then they just dumped him in the waste bin.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I am about to start 2007. Ric Flair is number one.

You know, I am so pissed at Ric. He was my idol, my favorite wrestler of all time. Hell, I would watch Ric wrestle a broom.

And then he just had to Me Too himself.. and ruin everything

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royal_Rumble_07.jpg

I was listening to the commentary and Michael Cole mentioned how Jerry Lawler once lasted 36 minutes in the Rumble. Jerry immediately said that he hid for 30 minutes under the ring. Cole immediately responded "You just stole a joke from JBL." JBL laughed. I think that was not scripted commentary which was good.

CM Punk's first Rumble... it was so weird with the lukewarm crowd reaction and the commentators talking little about him. Punk has come so far since then, so it is funny seeing him there.

JBL is so annoying on commentary and it hurts the Rumbles listening to him. He was an awful heel commentator. Rather all he does is insult and bully and raise his voice. He has to be one of the worst heel commentators ever. I am sure his horrible commentary turned others off too. I think occasionally his commentary threw off both Cole and Lawler. Although I did like how he pointed out that Hardcore Holly had no friends because he is so antisocial.

Kevin Thorn? I have no memory of this guy and rather than talking about his entrance, the commentators immediately fogot him.Also Chris Masters oversold his elimintion... good thing he didn't get too far.

The Undertaker deserved this many years ago. He was the man, is the man and will always be the man.No one in the history of wrestling deserved this win more than Taker. Taker is something else.

Other than Flair, I haven't rated anyone this high. But he deserved it even at number 30. The man is amazing and his like will never be seen again.

Match: 9/10

This match was not great from the first moment to the last. BUT the ending was one of the best ever. Taker finally got the respect he deserved.

Surprises: 0/10

But it doesn't matter. Taker getting his due means a lot more than a bunch of surprise entries.

BSE

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Sports Team
nnLKsfY
Favorite Sports Team
ZHIAHN6
Tatanka actually did come back full time if I remember right, he was just on the B shows most of the time. He had a team with like Matt Hardy or some shit
That Smackdown midcard is like some random wrestler generator

Paul Burchill
Road Warrior Animal
Tatanka
The Boogeyman
Orlando Jordan
Simon Dean

Reactions: Jacob Fox and Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
That Smackdown midcard is like some random wrestler generator

Paul Burchill
Road Warrior Animal
Tatanka
The Boogeyman
Orlando Jordan
Simon Dean

Made for a great SVR 07 roster lineup of characters

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royalrumble08.jpg

2008 Royal Rumble

Okay they announced Michael Buffer as the greatest announcer of all time. BS. i I watch wrestling, boxing MMA and all that. Howard Finkel deserves his due because he was the best announcer in wrestling history. Michael Buffer was in for it for the money. The Fink was a wrestling guy

I have not watched this match since it originally aired.

At the time, I was not a Cena guy. But over time, i realized his value. So yeah, he deserved to win this match and it was on of the best wins ever. We were told Cena wouldn't be back for nearly another year.

But John came back at he really captured the experience at the time. John is also a tought SOB and I give him credit for that.

Match: 7/10

So Taker came in at number one. You know if anyone could do it, it would be Taker. But I don't think anyone expected him to win.

Damn, they start the match with Taker vs HBK. That is why we love Rumbles. Heel /or face doesn't matter.

Michael Cole lied during this Rumble, claiming the only person to go from number 2 to win was Rey Mysterio. I do not like when commentatos lie. McMahon did it too.

This was OBVIOUSLY the HBK and Taker show until the surprise ending. They really showed why they are two of the best wrestlers of all time.

I nearly lowered this another point for the stupid idea of DQ ing Finaly for coming out befoe his number. Tha was dumb as dogshit

Surpises: 10/10

You don't have to mention any other surprise than John Cena at number 30. I remember that moment well, and all the internet sources thought he would be out until summer. But John came back and I will throw up a little in my mouth to admit this, but John is one of the best ever. Even I (who was pulling for HHH) was behind John and John ot one of the best wins of his career.

Surprises: 10/10

Nothing else matter other than John Cena entering at number 30. I read a lot of behind the scenes crap and anyone who tells you that this was expected is more full of sht than an outhouse at Lollapalooza.

WWE did the best job EVER at keeping this a secret and it paid off big time.

Piper coming in was also a big deal for me. He is in my top 5 of all time BUT this was many many years past his prime and Cena overshadowed him. As much as I hate Hogan, at least he never let himself go THAT bad.

Last edited: