Rolling Through Royal Rumbles

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
That one and 2022 mens are the toughest still I think. 99 is God awful but in an entertaining way, absolutely atrocious booking tho lmao
Ah yes, the Vince win. It really could have been more fun if Vince was in the ring more.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Ah yes, the Vince win. It really could have been more fun if Vince was in the ring more.

Austin too, both of them fucked off for almost the whole match. The only meaningful thing that happened in between was Kane being abducted by the orderlies, everything else was garbage filler

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Austin too, both of them fucked off for almost the whole match. The only meaningful thing that happened in between was Kane being abducted by the orderlies, everything else was garbage filler
It is not one I have watched many times. For example, I have 1992 memorized. I know everything Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon are going to say before they do.

But 1999 I have only watched a couple of times. I guess that confirms what you said about it lol

Reactions: Chris

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
The fact Kane never won a Rumble to me is sort of shocking. I wonder if Gunther ends up in that role elimination Machine but never wins

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
What is getting me about watching the 1988 Rumble right now is having Vince and Jesse calling Don "The Rock." It is a little weird but of course he was the original Rock

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
92 is definitely my most watched bc it's the only rumble I had on a DVD (Ric Flair collection)

Outside of that maybe 2008

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
The fact Kane never won a Rumble to me is sort of shocking. I wonder if Gunther ends up in that role elimination Machine but never wins
I wouldn't be surprised. Although I would like to see him win one. He deserves it but I doubt he ever will.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
92 is definitely my most watched bc it's the only rumble I had on a DVD (Ric Flair collection)

Outside of that maybe 2008
Yeah I have that too. lol that is why I watched it.

Even though it wasn't great, I like 93 too. I mean, it was kinda crappy but it was the first PPV I ever actually bought.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Okay, I totally forgot this is the Rumble with the Junk Yard Dog. LOL That alone makes it worth watching. I loved the Dog.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah I didn't rate 93 too high from what I remember, probably the worst until 99 tbh lol

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
All right I just finished 1988. The winner, of course, was Hacksaw Jim Duggan. Given his popularity at the time, I think this was a good choice.

The biggest problem is that the match was completely overshadowed by Andre and Hogan. Doing the contract signing right before the Rumble really took something away from it.

But here are my thoughts.

Winner: I will give this an 8/10. Winning the Rumble didn't really mean much of anything yet. Hacksaw actually put on a good performance and this is probably one of the best moments of his career.

Match: 7/10. It was still a novelty at the time. But it is enjoyable on the rewatch to see a lot of the old guys out there.

Surprises: 0/10 This was before they started doing that. I will have to go through a lot of Rumbles before I get to those.

But it is worth a watch. I enjoyed it.

Now on to 1989. One of my all time favorites, Big John Studd makes his only Rumble appear ever.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
220px-Royal_Rumble_1989.jpg

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't rate 93 too high from what I remember, probably the worst until 99 tbh lol
Oh yeah, it is terrible. I mean the Giant Gonzales showing up was really bad. Savage trying to pin Yoko in the Rumble... Bob Backlund going the distance but he seemed like he was stuck in the 70s.

If I remember correctly, I liked Earthquake'swork in it but I have a few to watch before I get to it.

The 1989 one is focused on the Mega Powers. Still waiting for Big John though.

Reactions: Chris

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I always loved Rick Martel. When I was a kid and only like faces, Martel was the first heel that I really liked. So, with him, I began liking heels and faces alike.

I don't know if I was young and attracted to him before I knew I was gay... looking back at him, he's really not that attractive to me. I probably just liked him as a wrestler.

Martel is one of the most underrated of all time in my opinion. He was such a good wrestler and deserved better than he got.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
So 1989 was a decent Rumble. Nothing really bad happened. It served two purposes. It set up the break up of the Mega Powers. It also gave Big John Studd his best moment ever in pro wrestling. Winning the second Rumble was the big achievement of his career.

Winner: 10/10.

Big John wasn't really getting a push at the time. I think having him win was a reward to a man who had a great career. Big John was the Undertaker before there was an Undertaker. He didn't sell against a lot of guys and appeared invincible. It was nice to see him get his moment.

Match: 7/10.

Honestly, a lot of it was dull and I found myself drifting away. But it had some good moments, such as the Mega Powers Spot and BIg John destroyed Dibiase and Virgil.

Surprises: 5/10

The Mega Powers were starting their break up and this was a good moment for the Rumble. Also, Ted Dibiase BOUGHT number 30. I recall this when it happened and WWFmade a big deal out of it.