ROH TITLE Tournament

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
[video=youtube;4E4Xwh_CZ-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E4Xwh_CZ-w[/video]

[video=youtube;iuqoJZ94nX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuqoJZ94nX8[/video]

There has been a great deal of speculation regarding the future of the ROH World Title since Baltimore when Jay Briscoe was assaulted by S.C.U.M following his championship bout with Matt Hardy. There has also been rampant speculation about the future of Jay and Mark Briscoe as it pertains to ROH and their injuries suffered at the hands of Steve Corino’s crew.

As we saw here in a video Jay Briscoe sent to ROHWrestling.com, the World Champion is obviously injured but also obviously upset at the speculation and rumors about his & Mark’s future as well as the future of the World Title he fought so hard for the last eleven years to finally win.

Now, after anxiously waiting since Baltimore, we have received an official statement from ROH Match Maker Nigel McGuinness regarding the issues mentioned above:

To recap, for the very first time since Low Ki became the first champion, the World Title will be vacant BUT for the first time since the “Road To the Title/Crowning A Champion” events of 2002 there will be a tournament held to crown the new ROH World Champion!

Starting in Providence on July 27[SUP]th[/SUP] and continuing in Toronto on August 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], NYC on August 17[SUP]th[/SUP], and culminating during “Death Before Dishonor XI” weekend in Philadelphia on September 20[SUP]th[/SUP] & 21[SUP]st[/SUP], this tourney will feature 16 men battling it out for the right to hold the most prestigious wrestling championship in the world today!

The first man entered, as Nigel stated in his video, will be the top contender to the championship: “Unbreakable” Michael Elgin! Elgin had been patiently waiting for a title opportunity he earned back at “Supercard of Honor VII” when he defeated Jay Lethal but was one of many people sidetracked by the S.C.U.M situation. Now he finds himself the first man entered into the tournament that kicks off later this month and his 1st round match-up will go down in the city where he was originally scheduled to challenge for the World Title: Toronto on August 3rd!

Expect more competitors to be announced EVERY DAY until the field is complete so make sure you are checking out ROHWrestling.com each day, even over the holiday weekend!

The war with S.C.U.M has ended, the rebuilding phase has begun, and that post-war reconstruction can take a long time before there is a rebirth. With SCUM no longer around to serve as a distraction Ring of Honor can focus on rebuilding to what it is truly about. The road to purity has begun…

Confirmed Entrants
Michael Elgin
Brian Kendrick
Karl Anderson
Kevin Steen
Paul London
Adam Cole
Roderick Strong
Sonjay Dutt
BJ Whitmer
Jay Lethal
Tommaso Ciampa
Mike Bennett
Adam Page or Silas Young
Matt Taven
ACH
Mark Briscoe

Seems like most people Expect to see Cole vs Elgin in the finals.... I'm still confused a bit about Jay... numerous reports on different scenarios Is he injuried, suspended, heading to WWE, wants a break?!?! I don't think i'd be that hard for him to wrestle one more time and drop the belt. Maybe this could be some angle? I'm lost on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Will wait until I hear more details before commenting on this. Not sure I can see Jay going to WWE or them being that interested in him.

Not so keen on them slowly announcing the guys involved in the tournament surely it would be better to just announce the whole thing and try to get a bit of buzz going.

Will wait until I hear more details before commenting on this. Not sure I can see Jay going to WWE or them being that interested in him.

Not so keen on them slowly announcing the guys involved in the tournament surely it would be better to just announce the whole thing and try to get a bit of buzz going.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
With Jay it seems like he, and Mark, just want a break. Really can't see WWE signing them.

As for the tournament I like that they are slowing announcing guys, adds a bit of intrigue and draws traffic to their website as well. Not keen on 16 wrestlers being involved, makes it less important when there are too many midcarders in the tournament. Just pick the best eight that they have and go from there. I guess that since this is the first time the title has been vacated they want to make it a big deal but I still don't see the need for 16.

Not really sure who will get the win, really tough to call as I don't know what direction TNA want to go in. Do they want an experienced hand on top or do they want to try to create a new star?

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I'm pretty certain Jay's done with ROH. There's no way they'd take the belt off him for storyline purposes.

I don't know why they couldn't just have him wrestle one last match though. It would have been great to have Adam Cole take advantage of Jay Briscoe's injury and beat him for the World title, thus completing his heel turn. A tournament isn't the worst thing though. I think it's safe to say that it'll either be Cole or Elgin that wins it.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'd love to see a dominating title run by Michael Elgin. If that happens I'm all for this tournament.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Brian Kendrick has been added as the #2 entrant btw.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
The other issue with 16 men is ROH's current lack of depth, 2006/07 they could have done it easy.

Kendrick's a good talent, if a little goofy.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I have added an updated list of entrants in the OP

#3 Karl Anderson #4 Kevin Steen #5 Paul London

Good list so far with some ROH regulars and some outsiders as well. Nice to see it come full circle for Kendrick and London, returning after all these years to try to win the title.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Seeing Paul London again next week!

Glad he's there, would love him facing Kendrick in the tournament.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
Seeing Paul London again next week!

Glad he's there, would love him facing Kendrick in the tournament.

if it does happen, I would prefer it to be atleast in the semifinals. It would be a great match to watch, and with the added story of the friends now having to face off against each other after working so hard to become the champ, knowing only 1 will make it farther would give Kevin Kelly something to talk about.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Adam Cole, Roderick Strong and Sonjay Dutt have all been added.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Sonjay Dutt shouldn't even be allowed to purchase tickets for Ring of Honor.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
BJ Whitmer is the 9th participant added.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Jay Lethal & Tommaso Ciampa are the 2 newest additions.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The last few additions have shown why 8 would have been a better number for the tournament. A few weaker names added which don't really boost the profile of the tournament. Hopefully they have saved a few big names for the last half a dozen spots. Surely Matt Hardy will be included.