Road Warrior Animal Says Sting Isn't An Icon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The thing is when Sting was at his hottest he was the distant second to Goldberg.

Totally disagree.

Sting vs nWo was the hottest thing in wrestling for most of '97, if it wasn't for the screwjob it would of been the story of the year.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Even if Sting went to WWE, he would still not be considered an icon.

First off, he was used as Four Horsemen fodder, then nWo. You take out those groups and he has shit to claim.

Flair left in 92? Sting given the ball and dropped it.

Sting made to be major foe to Hogan and what happens after 97? Oh yes, thats right. WWF domination.

And if he was really the icon and supposed draw, TNA would've generated decent ratings, WWC would've popped a decent buyrate and maybe, just maybe. People would've watched that movie he made in 2000.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I can understand what he's getting at, but I don't really agree with it. I'll be honest, i've seen very little of Sting because I never watched WCW growing up but I was aware of him and would still easily call him a legend in this business. I don't believe going to the WWE would make him an icon though because I believe that he would have to stick around for several years in high profile feuds with legit top quality guys and that's not feasable.

I think because of how popular WCW was back in the day, you can be deemed a legend even though they didn't appear in the WWE whereas I don't think that will happen in todays environment because of the lack of competition and exposure these guys are getting, AJ Styles being a prime example.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Sting made to be major foe to Hogan and what happens after 97? Oh yes, thats right. WWF domination.

And if he was really the icon and supposed draw, TNA would've generated decent ratings.

Shit argument, that company is dead out anyway, look at all the proven draws that have gone there and failed to get interest. Hogan, Hardy, Angle etc have all failed to make a dent in the ratings. Its because TNA is a shit wrestling promotion with no upside, not because these guys arent stars.

Also, pinning the turn in the Monday Night Wars on Sting is ridiculous and laughable, could easily make the same argument for Bret Hart being a company killer too.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Shit argument, that company is dead out anyway, look at all the proven draws that have gone there and failed to get interest. Hogan, Hardy, Angle etc have all failed to make a dent in the ratings. Its because TNA is a shit wrestling promotion with no upside, not because these guys arent stars.

Also, pinning the turn in the Monday Night Wars on Sting is ridiculous and laughable, could easily make the same argument for Bret Hart being a company killer too.

Argument isn't shit because WCW folded, Icon status is from proving yourself as a solid draw, which he didn't.

Laughable how? Him beating Hogan for the title was supposed to be the biggest thing evar for WCW. Seeing how fans lost interest after WCW dumbfuckery after dumbfuckery in regards to Stings storyline. It's a valid point imo.

The Nicker

Reaction score
I do not agree with Animal. Just because World Wrestling Entertainment is the big deal right now, does not mean that it has been the biggest deal forever. There is a Hell of a lot more prestige in the National Wrestling Alliance and World Championship Wrestling in comparison to the World Wrestling Federation, much less the World Wrestling Entertainment deal that took place in 2002 and continues to embarrass itself here in 2012. WWE owns NWA, and WCW, and all that footage and all those videos that are educating young fans and helping older fans reminisce over the glory days of back in the day all place Sting at the top of the pedestal. Sting is an icon. The same way Ric Flair is an icon. Wrestlemania 8 ring any bells? Flair was part of Wrestlemania and it was a Hell of a let-down. He returned to Wrestlemania and got his ass kicked by 'Taker, and then managed Triple H for two years and came back in bulk-matches that were for the most part, filler. Yet Flair remains an icon.

I would love to see Sting in World Wrestling Entertainment, but to have a following the way he does, to have people still,11 years later after Vince McMahon's acquisition of World Championship Wrestling clammer for a debut of "the Icon" Sting in current generation World Wrestling Entertainment speaks so many volumes about his status within the industry. Sting is an undeniable icon, and anyone who argues that is too bias to call themselves a true professional wrestling fan.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Flair and Sting aren't in the same box like you're saying. Flair is an icon because lead one of the greatest stables of all time. Had some of the best matches of all time. Influenced the generation that came after him. That is what icons are Sting has none of those things I just mentioned. You won't hear a wrestler say they got into the business because of Sting or they patterned themselves after Sting. Sting is a legend but in no way shape or form a icon let alone on Flair's level.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Sting being an icon is definitely debatable, depending on your definition of icon, but Animal's philosophy is absolutely Blue. By no means do you have to have worked in the WWE to be an icon, in fact, I think it may help Sting's icon status that he didn't ever work under Vince. He's by far the most popular wrestler to never work for the WWE, and that's part of what people will remember when they talk about Sting.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Argument isn't shit because WCW folded, Icon status is from proving yourself as a solid draw, which he didn't.

Laughable how? Him beating Hogan for the title was supposed to be the biggest thing evar for WCW. Seeing how fans lost interest after WCW dumbfuckery after dumbfuckery in regards to Stings storyline. It's a valid point imo.

Not to duck the issue, but do you consider Bret Hart an icon?

I realise you have Canada listed as yr location so this might be as pointless as asking you if the sky is blue, but he's a guy who was one of the main guys in both companies while they were on their deathbed, yet his contribution to wrestling is immessurable.

It's a semantics argument really, whether we call him an icon or legend doesnt matter. The real point is Road Warrior Animal of all people isn't the guy to decide. When did he ever draw as a singles wrestler.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Not to duck the issue, but do you consider Bret Hart an icon?

I realise you have Canada listed as yr location so this might be as pointless as asking you if the sky is blue, but he's a guy who was one of the main guys in both companies while they were on their deathbed, yet his contribution to wrestling is immessurable.

It's a semantics argument really, whether we call him an icon or legend doesnt matter. The real point is Road Warrior Animal of all people isn't the guy to decide. When did he ever draw as a singles wrestler.

I don't consider Bret Hart an icon, he held the belt during WWE's darkest years, but I do consider him HOF worthy and an actual draw, seeing as he was big overseas for the WWF.

And just because I'm Canadian doesn't mean I worship the Hitman.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I don't consider Sting to be an icon either, and props to Animal for being brave enough to say it out loud.

His face is actually more iconic to a movie trilogy he wasn't even in. You could probably get away with calling him a WCW icon, but that really means fuck all these days.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Is Sting an Icon no he's not he's on Triple H's level he's a main eventer and a worthy hall of famer but he is not an Icon here are your Icons

Hulk Hogan
Andre The Giant
Undertaker
Shawn Micheals
Stone Cold Steve Austin
The Rock

These guys are the icons of wrestling no matter what they always had great matches or got the crowd behind them 100%.

Everyone else is below them in terms of popularity even a lot of the legends.

As for the guys who are supposed to be a draw ok lets look at them

Kurt Angle went to TNA with a pain killer issue who wants to see a guy past his prime

Sting still wrestling in his 50's and nowhere near as good as he has been in the past

Jeff Hardy Stoned asshole who's put on weight and even in his youtube videos he and Mat look like they've had a good too many burger/pot combos and the guy who comes out Stoned in the main event of a PPV definatley not a draw.

I could go on but these guys aren't draws because they are washed up and nobody wants to see them and frankly I can't blame them.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
^^^^^
Shawn Michaels isn't an icon. The list you just gave, have people who don't even watch wrestling could recognize.

Sting isn't an Icon, simply because if you say his name to a non-wrestling fan, they would think it's the singer. You also say Shawn Michaels to outsiders, and they ask you if it's the guy from Poison.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
Being known to even those who don't watch wrestling has nothing to do with being an icon those mentioned are mentioned because they bought that much more to Wrestling, Hulk Hogan was so popular that wrestling started getting bigger and bigger, Andre well he truly was the world's largest athlete and the 8th wonder of the world, Undertaker from the time he debuted to now was truly amazing to see, and Rock and Stone Cold two guys who were at the top of the attitude era and had the crowd still to this day in the palm of their hand hell 50 years from now Rock could come down and still have them in the palm of his hand he was that good.

Icons have nothing to do with how well your known outside of wrestling