RIOT! Smackdown Review: August 5th 2011

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
riotsd.png

Welcome to the 5th August 2011 Edition of RIOT! Smackdown Review.

- Before watching, I've been told Vladimir Kozlov, DH Smith, Chris Masters, Melina and Gail Kim are now no longer with the WWE. I've been a big fan of DH Smith & Masters and it's quite sad to see these guys go. Makes me wonder who's next.

- Mark Henry Hype Video before the Smackdown Introduction Video with Sheamus saying he'll fight Henry. I am hoping Sheamus goes over in this because he's just turned face and it would get him very over with the crowd.

- Sheamus comes out and the crowd actually gives a massive pop for Sheamus. This is amazing, just one week and the crowd are already loving him.

- We're at the University of Kentucky.

- They announce that Sheamus is facing Mark Henry at Summerslam. Great match up and I'm sure it will be a great match.

MATCH ONE: SHEAMUS VS. KHALI

- Sheamus is taking on Khali in the first match up. I've never enjoyed Khali… I'm positive I've seen Sheamus face Khali a few times in the past. Khali starts with a push before raising his hands in the air, the crowd gives zero reaction literally. Sheamus gets back and begins punching but Khali hits a chop that sends Sheamus down. Jinder Mahal is looking from the ringside. Khali grabs Sheamus to but Sheamus manages to uppercut him before trapping him by the ropes with a few heavy hits to the chest. Khali is selling this wonderfully somehow!

- Sheamus follows it up with a kick before getting on the top rope but Khali slaps Sheamus on the chest which sends him to the outside… Why isn't Jinder Mahal trying to make him get counted out? Sheamus climbs up on the apron as Khali throws him into the ring before choking him with his feet. Khali irish-whips Sheamus to the ropes before hitting a clothesline. Khali tries to apply pressure on Sheamus' neck as Sheamus gets to his feet, Khali hits a headbutt. Khali follows it up with a few kicks on Sheamus by the corner turnbuckle before slapping his chest. Khali follows it up with another one. Sheamus throws a few punches before Khali blocks the third, Sheamus kicks him twice before a kick to the gut. Sheamus goes for the Brogue Kick but misses as Khali hits a clothesline for two.

- Khali grabs Sheamus and puts him in the Vise Grip. Sheamus is struggling as he drops to his knees. Sheamus looks to be out cold but Sheamus gets up to his feet as he breaks the hold of the Vise Grip! A few elbows to the guts as Khali somehow drops to his knee as Sheamus hits the Brogue Kick and pins Khali for 3.

RIOT! POV: This match dragged on too long with Khali dominating most of the match, the finish looked very DUD to me. Khali being on his knees, would have preferred a real Brogue Kick sending him straight to the mat instead of Khali on his knees and rolling over. It got Sheamus over but the match wasn't that good itself.

2.5/5 * - Rating for the match.

- They show R-Truth & Christian vs. Orton & Morrison for the Main Event tonight.

- Recap of Beth's heel turn on RAW after winning the Divas' Rumble Match.

- AJ makes her way to the ring as she's taking on Natalya. This is like Natalya's first match in ages? They shake hands.

MATCH TWO: NATALYA VS A.J.

- Nice chain sequence to start the match off. AJ gets the headlock but is unable to flip Natalya. Natalya pushes AJ off her. Natalya head lock which gets AJ to continue the hold before an Irish-whip before a nice Full Nelson flip before Natalya does a takedown. Natalya looks for a submission but it's reversed quickly as Natalya tosses AJ to the ropes. AJ looks for a crucifix pin but Natalya reverses and quickly goes for the Sharpshooter. AJ taps out before it's applied.

- Nice short match but tapping out before it's locked in?!

- Natalya goes to help AJ up but Natalya beats AJ down as the crowd boo's. Natalya slams her into the apron before delivering a Suplex on the outside. Natalya grabs the microphone as she says 'Beth Phoenix, I'm with you sister. The days of princesses are over'.

RIOT! POV: I like the idea of Nattie & Beth being dominant as heels, with both being on the same side. I am going to like seeing where this goes, the divas' getting more TV time is not a bad deal.

3.5/5* - Rating for the match, it was good for what it was.

- State of the SHOWSKI address is up later.

- From The Vault shows Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk. Such a great match it was, would like to see them at it if Jericho returns.

- Backstage Striker interviews Randy Orton. Striker asks him about Summerslam and we see a preview of last week where Orton took out R-Truth after being hit in the head with a water bottle… Orton speaks on Summerslam and says he will beat Christian.

- They show WWE being in South Africa as they continue to hype Justin Gabriel, showing newspaper reports and another video with Gabriel in it.

RIOT! POV: Gabriel looks like he's going to get somewhere soon, they continue to do these hype videos. I'd love to see Cody Rhodes beat Zeke for the title and then have Gabriel vs. Rhodes for the IC.

- Wade Barrett comes out in a suit to the music 'End of Days'. Last week they show the Bryan/Barrett recap. I'd like to see this match added at Summerslam but it's understandable if it's not.

- Daniel Bryan comes out with a new theme song. The video can be found here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nGKEPjzQk

MATCH THREE: DANIEL BRYAN VS. TYSON KIDD

- The match starts off with a wristlock hold with Bryan reversing before a double underhook suplex. Kidd throws a few punches before tossing Bryan to the corner turnbuckle but Bryan jumps and hits a moonsault where he lands on his feet followed by a clothesline for two. A nice dropkick sends Kidd to the outside. Bryan hits a suicide dive towards the outside. Bryan throws Kidd back into the ring as Kidd kicks him the leg before dragging him to the steel post before slamming his leg around the post. Kidd follows it up with a nice figure four leglock on the outside (Reminds me of Legacy).

- Ad break

- We come back from ad break as Kidd hits a dropkick on Bryan on the corner turnbuckle before working on Bryan's leg. Kidd locks in a submission as Bryan punches Kidd a few times as Bryan escapes before throwing a few punches as Bryan hits a snap suplex. Bryan gets onto the top rope as Kidd gets to his feet, Kidd rushes to the corner turnbuckle and pushes Bryan. Kidd looks for a superplex but Bryan stays put before punching Kidd and throwing him off. Bryan leaps off the top rope with a beautiful dropkick as Kidd sells it perfectly flipping backwards. Bryan kicks Kidd in the chest five times before a left kick which fails as Kidd locks in a Single Leg Boston Crab as Bryan looks for the ropes, Kidd gets him back into the middle of the ring. Bryan looking for the ropes once again as he finally reaches the ropes.

- Kidd jumps over the ropes for a leg drop before following it up with a springboard elbow drop but Bryan has his knees up. Bryan looks for the LaBell lock but Kidd escapes as Bryan rolls him in a Bridged pin. Kidd rolls up Bryan for two but Bryan gets up and delivers a Rage of Punch before a kick to the back of the head. Bryan locks in a Guillotine Choke as Kidd taps out.

RIOT! POV: What a match! This is technical wrestling at it's best. I'd be voting this for match of the year on Smackdown, seriously. Kidd is so under-rated and worked a great match with equal momentum, it was back and forth all the way. I'm really liking Bryan adapting some new moves but I don't know about the Guillotine Choke, isn't it illegal in wrestling? Either way it works.

4.5/5* - Rating for match.

- Backstage Zack Ryder is ready to head to the ring, he has a new titantron. I really like how his nameplate comes up on Smackdown. Ryder is so over with the crowd.

- Ryder says 'Broskis and Brosettes, welcome to Zackdown! He says he's the Smackdown Assistant Manager, WWWYKI'. He says it's the first time he's going to do the State of the Broski address but Ezekiel Jackson comes out to interrupt.

- Ezekiel says I like your thinking, but I am wanting to rip your head off for what you did last week putting me in a handicap match. But I won't, I'm out here to find out why did you put me in a match like that. A bit of disagreeing leaves Cody Rhodes Music to hit the arena.

- Rhodes says Ezekiel doesn't deserve to be a Champion. Rhodes cuts a decent promo here but his voice is really annoying at times. Ezekiel interrupts and says Cody is using Ted. Ezekiel makes a Corre reference and says Ted can change. Cody claims Ted wants to associate with Cody because they are the future. Cody suggest Ted vs. Ezekiel to happen. Ryder likes the idea and wants it to happen but Teddy Long comes out and interrupts with dance as Ryder copies.

- Teddy Long says he doesn't care what sounds good for Ryder. He says I've said time after time you're my assistant and you're facing Ezekiel Jackson and Cody & Ted are banned from ringside. Long says WWWYKI.

MATCH FOUR: Ezekiel vs. Zack Ryder

- Ryder with a lock up but Ezekiel tosses him to the corner turnbuckle twice before a sidewalk slam for a two count. Ryder kicks Ezekiel before chanting WOO WOO WOO YOU before bouncing off the ropes and kicking Ezekiel in the head for a two count. A neckbreaker from Ryder for a one count. Ryder has Ezekiel in a headlock but Ezekiel powers and slams him before two clothesline before charging at Ryder for a devastating clothesline on the corner turnbuckle. Ezekiel hits a bodyslam, another one… and another one… Ezekiel with the torture rack and the match is over.

RIOT! POV: Ezekiel needs to face someone who will allow Ezekiel to adapt more moves, Ryder got some offence in. Not a bad match as Ezekiel continues to dominate.

2.5/5* - Rating of match

- Teddy Long is addressed by Aksana who looks like extremely hot with black hair. Aksana says she will be on Smackdown very soon. Teddy Long writes something on a piece of paper.

- Mark Henry is backstage walking to the ring.

- Vladimir Kozlov is already in the ring

MATCH FIVE: Mark Henry vs. Vladimir Kozlov

- Vladimir tries to suplex Henry but fails to do so. Henry punches Vladimir a few times before tossing him to the corner. Henry charges but misses as Vladimir gets some offence in but it isn't long before Henry hits the World Strongest Slam and it's over.

RIOT! POV: Henry continues to dominate over opponents… Remember when Vladimir Kozlov was pushed like a monster?

0.5*/5 - Rating of match

- Henry grabs a chair from outside as he places it on Vladimir's knee (Same thing with Kane & Big Show). Henry steps up onto the second ropes before leaping off with a splash as Vladimir withers around the ring in pain. Sheamus rushes in the ring with a chair in his hand. Sheamus tells Henry to get into the ring, Henry rips off the announcement table (Top part) as he leaves the ring.

RIOT! POV: These guys in a singles match at Summerslam could lead to some sort of Cage match or some sort of stip in the future. I'm going to dig this feud either way. I guess this was a way to release Vladimir.

- Vladimir is taken out of the ring in a stretcher.

- Morrison parkour spots backstage.

- Sheamus backstage with the chair as Mathews is there. Sheamus says Henry has been destroying people and says nobody can take away Sheamus' passion for the WWE. Sheamus then speaks about his Irish roots.

- Otunga & McGillicutty comes out with JTG to the music of 'Power by S-Preme'

- Baretta's music hits as The Uso's do their Samoan War Dance.

MATCH SIX: Otunga, McGillicutty & JTG vs. Trent Baretta & The Uso's

- Jimmy and JTG start things off. Jimmy tags Jey who hits an uppercut. JTG with a punch and a kick before McGillicutty is tagged in. McGillicutty stomps down on Jey as Otunga is tagged in. Otunga goes for a pin for a two count before a headlock. Jey fights back but Otunga pushes him down before a strong clothesline as Jimmy breaks the pin. McGillicutty tagged in as he kicks Jey for a two count. Otunga tagged in once again as they continue to beat on Jey Uso.

RIOT! POV: Missed a few bit here thanks to Youtube playing up for some odd reason. I'll edit this post once I can find a smoother link for this match. I had to skip the match, Team Otunga won though. Youtube is freezing on some videos for some odd reason, went to a friend's place to check it and the same thing happened.

2.5*/5 - Rating of match (From what I saw so far)

- Curtis cuts a lame promo saying he will debut next week.

- Recap of CM/HHH/Cena segment from RAW

- Christian is backstage with Matt Striker… He says a few things before R-Truth interrupts and speaks about conspiracy. He says Orton is gonna get got and that's the truth.

- Randy Orton's music hits as it's time for the main event.

MATCH SEVEN: Randy Orton & Morrison vs. Christian & R-Truth.

- R-Truth & Orton starts the match with R-Truth throwing quick punches before stomping away on the corner turnbuckle. Orton kicks R-Truth as he hits a clothesline before stomping on R-Truth. Morrison is tagged in but R-Truth escapes the ring and tags Christian. Morrison gets Christian into a headlock before Morrison hits a dropkick for 2.

- Christian kicks Morrison in the guts and slaps him across the face. Morrison irish-whips but Morrison reverses with a nice step up kick off the second rope. Christian slides out of the ring as he hits a Hot-Shot on Morrison. Christian tags R-Truth into the ring as R-Truth beats Morrison down. R-Truth goes for his suplex move but Morrison reverses with a dropkick followed by multiple punches. Morrison bounces back from the ropes as he hits a kick on R-Truth as Morrison goes for a pinfall but Christian breaks it up.

- Orton chases Christian as Christian rushes off through the crowd. Orton looks at him.

- Ad break

- We come back as Morrison hits a pele kick on Christian before looking for a springboard move but Truth pushes him off the ropes. Christian comes back to the apron as R-Truth slides Morrison in the ring. R-Truth stomps and beats Morrison down. R-Truth has a crazy look on him as he grabs Morrison's leg and drags him to the middle of the ring for a two count. R-Truth does a headlock on Morrison as Morrison gets to his feet and escapes but R-Truth hits a clothesline on Morrison before tagging Christian. Christian grabs Morrison's hair and slams him down onto the mat, Christian then hits a neckbreaker before looking towards the crowd as he gets to the second rope and misses a flying headbutt. Christian gets to his feet and pushes Randy Orton off the apron before tagging R-Truth who punches Morrison a few times before stomping him. R-Truth with another punch on Morrison.

R-Truth does a dance as Morrison hits a Standing Spanish Fly out of nowhere, looked a little botched. Morrison tags in Orton who gains momentum but Christian stops it with a kick. Christian misses a top rope move as Orton does a bridged pin for 2 followed by a Thesz press. Christian gets up and misses a Killswitch as Orton hits a backbreaker for two. Orton rolls Christian up but Christian escapes and hits a spinebuster. Christian looks for a spear but misses, Orton goes for an RKO but misses. Orton looks for a punt but Truth jumps int the ring as does Morrison. A double clothesline sends Truth over the ring as Morrison dives over the ring. Christian baseball slides Morrison as Orton hits a Spike DDT on Christian. Truth slides into the ring to be hit with an RKO, Christian gets up and hits a Killswitch for the pinfall.

- Christian holds his World Heavyweight Championship up high on the announcer's table before escaping quickly with R-Truth.

3.5*/5 - Rating for the match

RIOT! POV: Great main event, I really enjoyed this one. It was given enough time and all superstars really put on a great performance. The show itself wasn't so bad, I really enjoyed Bryan vs. Kidd the most.

Do give feedback, PM me questions and I'll happily have them answered for next week's Review.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Another great review Andrew.

There were a few good matches on this weeks show with Bryan vs. Kidd being the standout. I wouldn't mind seeing Gabriel vs. Rhodes over the IC title. They have been pushing Gabriel quite a bit lately on the show. Finally next week we get to see Johnny Curtis wrestling. I missed Aksana so I will have to catch a replay somewhere but I thought that she was entertaining on NXT with Goldust. I like how they ended the show with a long match and with the World champion standing tall.

Andrew

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Favorite Wrestler
princedevitt
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
ricochet
Bryan vs. Kidd is an easy standout. Such a great technical match and would love to see them at it. If only they could feud or something for a PPV, be worth watching.

Dod Draper

Reaction score
Great review Andrew. Hope to see more of these!