Rate Raw 10/17/2016

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rate this week's Raw in our poll!

• 0/10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/10

• 2/10

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 3/10

• 4/10

• 5/10

• 6/10

• 7/10

• 8/10

• 9/10

• 10/10

• Total voters

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Goldberg's net worth is about 14 million dollars. I doubt whatever WWE is paying him will have a substantial impact on that. He definitely doesn't need the money.

And yes, Goldberg does want to wrestle so his son can see him in the ring, as Prince Balor mentioned. But that just solidifies my point. I am sure he wants his son to see him win.

Goldberg's disdain for the WWE is well documented. So I'm sorry, it doesn't make sense to me that he's going to come back to a company he doesn't care for to let his son see him wrestle and when he doesn't need the money, to only lose to the guy that he defeated in his final match.

Now I am not saying that Goldberg is going to win. I accept that I could be wrong. However, my point is that we shouldn't just assume that Lesnar is going to win this. There are plenty of reasons to believe he won't.

I thought his net worth would be much less, i still think irrespective of how much money he has, the opportunity to roll in the money train and make that 14 into 16 or 15 is something he wouldn't say no to. With Sting taking a loss on his debut at WM, he probably doesnt feel like its much of an insult either. If Goldberg wins this, then it kinda negates everything they did with Lesnar so except for the shock and awe of Lesnar losing to Goldberg, I really don't see whats in it for WWE with Goldberg winning. Or else he's after a reality tv series called gOldberg on WWE network and they asked him to take this bump first.

You never know these days :p

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
I thought his net worth would be much less, i still think irrespective of how much money he has, the opportunity to roll in the money train and make that 14 into 16 or 15 is something he wouldn't say no to. With Sting taking a loss on his debut at WM, he probably doesnt feel like its much of an insult either. If Goldberg wins this, then it kinda negates everything they did with Lesnar so except for the shock and awe of Lesnar losing to Goldberg, I really don't see whats in it for WWE with Goldberg winning. Or else he's after a reality tv series called gOldberg on WWE network and they asked him to take this bump first.

You never know these days :p

Sting cares about the business. Goldberg doesn't. So I personally don't find those two situations comparable.

What's in it for WWE is bringing back one of the biggest names from the Monday Night War who hasn't been involved in the business since 2004. Having him headline Survivor Series against Brock Lesnar could bring in viewers who haven't watched the product lately. They offer a free month for the Network. People who haven't watched WWE in a while take advantage of the free month. They sit through a four hour Survivor Series to see Goldberg and before the match they get exposed to wrestlers they've never seen before. Plus they have the free month of the Network so perhaps they explore it a bit to see what the content is like.

So what WWE gains is exposure to casual or former fans. If a percentage of those fans become Network subscribers or begin watching Raw again, then I am sure WWE would be willing to have Goldberg defeat Lesnar if it gets them the exposure.

Again, I'm not saying Goldberg will win. I just think it's naive for anyone to assume he won't.

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Vince Mcmahon wouldn't let a retired wrestler come out of retirement just to beat the guy who he let mow through the entire WWE roster and beat the streak, right?
:idk:..........................Did you really have to ask of course he will he is Vince! :psycho:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob Fox

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Sting cares about the business. Goldberg doesn't. So I personally don't find those two situations comparable.

What's in it for WWE is bringing back one of the biggest names from the Monday Night War who hasn't been involved in the business since 2004. Having him headline Survivor Series against Brock Lesnar could bring in viewers who haven't watched the product lately. They offer a free month for the Network. People who haven't watched WWE in a while take advantage of the free month. They sit through a four hour Survivor Series to see Goldberg and before the match they get exposed to wrestlers they've never seen before. Plus they have the free month of the Network so perhaps they explore it a bit to see what the content is like.

So what WWE gains is exposure to casual or former fans. If a percentage of those fans become Network subscribers or begin watching Raw again, then I am sure WWE would be willing to have Goldberg defeat Lesnar if it gets them the exposure.

Again, I'm not saying Goldberg will win. I just think it's naive for anyone to assume he won't.

They might try and do all that to get a new viewer group, but would they really just completely destroy someone that's being built since WM30? I personally don't see that happening. I would have believed Goldberg winning if it was anyone else except Brock. Obviously I'm not saying Goldberg winning is impossible, we thought undertaker losing to Brock at WM 30 was impossible and here we are :p

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
They might try and do all that to get a new viewer group, but would they really just completely destroy someone that's being built since WM30? I personally don't see that happening. I would have believed Goldberg winning if it was anyone else except Brock. Obviously I'm not saying Goldberg winning is impossible, we thought undertaker losing to Brock at WM 30 was impossible and here we are :p
Hey! No joking about that.........that is a very serious matter!

• Haha
Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
The show was boring outside of a few bright spots. 4/10

The opening segment with Rollins, KO and Y2J was good, as well as the Rollins/Jericho match that followed.

Charlotte's promo was good.

Enjoyed the Strowman squash. Color me intrigued for his program with Zayn. I'm gonna hate seeing Sami get wrecked, but if anyone's gonna pull a good match out of Strowman and make him look like a million bucks, it's the underdog from the underground.

The Cruiserweight 6-man tag was solid given the time constraint. But, man, it really sucks to see the CW division turning into the new Divas division.

Goldberg's promo at the end of the show was good. The intensity, the atmosphere, everything was just off the charts. I mean, the dude seemed legit excited to be back. Also, I may've shat on him and the match itself, but damn, that was one hell of a promo to set it up.

Everything else sucked.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I've been watching WWE for 30 years and they have a history of doing things like that. So yes, I can see them doing that.

I honestly don't think that they will destroy what they're doing with Lesnar by having Goldberg beat him. We all assumed having Undertaker defeat Lesnar would end that build up. It didn't in the slightest. And yes, it's a little different with Goldberg as he hasn't wrestled in 12 years... but he's still Goldberg. A large percentage of the fans obviously find it believable.

It's very different between the people who watch the show and those like us who talk about it online all the time. We're the ones who keep talking about this as if the Lesnar push is being built towards something. We always discuss big pushes as being a plan to eventually put another wrestler over, but it rarely actually works out that way. The push with Lesnar probably is not leading to this climactic moment that Lesnar puts over some young talent. Lesnar ended the Streak nearly three years ago... what are they waiting for? The fact is that it's EXTREMELY rare that WWE will push the hell out of anyone to simply put some future talent over. If that was the way they worked, someone other than Lesnar would have broken the Streak.

In actuality I think they are simply pushing Lesnar as a monster in order to sell him on a match by match basis. He already put over Reigns. Although Reigns didn't beat Lesnar, we all talk about him now as if he is the guy most likely to do it. He took 4 F5's in that match and simply laughed at Lesnar over and over. I think that was a successful put over for Reigns.

But yeah, WWE doesn't always think the way we do about things. However I don't think Goldberg beating Lesnar again is going to hurt Lesnar at all. Will it happen? I don't know. But the argument against it seems to be "WWE isn't going to waste the Lesnar build to simply have him lose to Goldberg." I just think that is a silly argument. It presumes that WWE is going to do what the fans think is best for the business... and that rarely happens.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
As much as we want Lesnar to put over the next top face - that was what this push was designed to do, but still - would you prefer using him to make up for a mistake from the past?

At this point, I'm still not sure what this "dream scenario" of who Lesnar puts over is. You have to have the right story support to do it, and...

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I'd give it a 5. The only highlight was Goldberg.

His return gave me chills. It was awesome. 8 am beyond curious as to how this match will go. I don't think Brock is going to just dominate golderbeg like he does others.
Vince Mcmahon wouldn't let a retired wrestler come out of retirement just to beat the guy who he let mow through the entire WWE roster and beat the streak, right?
he let a part timer end the greatest streak in wrestling history. Why wouldn't he let Goldberg potentially be the one to beat Brock? Not saying it will happen as odds are it won't, but it's possible.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I really think that itll end in a draw somehow. Like Goldberg will be the only guy to push lesnar to a point of no return and both men can't finish the match. Maybe a spear off the stage leaving both men out? Something drastic that keeps Brock's credibility and goldbergs dominance?

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Good news for RAW:

Monday's WWE RAW, featuring Bill Goldberg's WWE return, drew 3.130 million viewers. This is up 13.5% from last week's 2.758 million viewers.

For this week's show, the first hour drew 3.167 million viewers, the second hour drew 3.106 million viewers and the final hour drew 3.118 million viewers. It is the first time that the show has drawn over 3 million viewers since football season started.
RAW was #4 on cable for the night in viewership, behind the NFL's Monday Night Football, Major League Baseball and The O'Reilly Factor. RAW was #2 in the 18-49 demographic, behind the NFL.

The NFL drew just over 8.3 million viewers on cable last night while the MLB drew just over 4 million.

Source