Randy Orton face of the company?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

#HEEL

Reaction score
First topic ive started, wanted to see what the opinions were on here...

Randy Orton came onto the scene around 02 as a blue chipper , then turned heel and joined Evolution. It seemed to me around this time (and appeared more evident by when he got the strap earlier than most thought he would) that he was being groomed to be the face of the company.

Any idea what happened? I mean the dude has had a good career so far no doubt about it, but back then it seemed like he was being groomed to be THE man. He had the superstar look, natural charisma, decent skills in ring, not to mention the "business was in his blood" as it was heavily pushed that he was a 3rd generation superstar.

Reactions: 1 person

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
His problems that stopped him

- He was a bit of a nutcase early and had to be suspended multiple times, which means he was just too childish to be Cena or Dave
- He has no true drawing ability in the context of a top star, as SD headlined by him was getting terrible attendance and ratings dipped in each of his reigns from previous champs then went back up
- His ring skills while now great, were not always there and you could not just put him in that big match and expect him to deliver like they sent Dave out at WM23 or Cena out for a hour

He just experienced a bad combination of not a great wrestler, not stable enough to be trusted to be the guy whose face they put on all the cups and shirts for a long time, and the fact he just didn't draw close to his two counterparts who came up with him in Dave and Cena so he could not even be the Triple H to their Cena and Rock

He still has had a great career, gotten over, and been a household name, just not close to Cena, HHH, Taker, Edge or Batista in any way shape or form for his era in terms of being the guy because he really doesn't make you want to buy what he does as casual which probably has something to do with the fact he isn't a guy who can wrap you up into what he does with his words either

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I don't he was ever going to be face of the company.

There was always a better option, whether it be Brock Lesnar, John Cena or anyone else.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I say all in all while he was being groomed to be the man he took it for granted esp considering he doesn't have the charisma to be the man. WWE did obviously want him and Cena to be this generations Rock/Austin but just wasn't gonna be the case unless Orton's mic skills and charisma were on Cena's level.

#HEEL

Reaction score
good points made, agreed that the company wanted him and Cena to be the next Austin/Rock. Looking back I don't think anyone thought that Batista would have been more successful, at least initially, than Orton while they were in Evolution, as he at one point only appeared to be the muscle of the group.

Brock Lesnar

Reaction score
I think he hasn't found his niche yet. He's got stuff to learn, like how to present himself in a manner that makes people really care about watching him. It's been the same shit for him, all hellish... he needs to create a personality larger than life, that people would do anything to watch unfold. He's there, but he's not the number one guy and probably won't be until he finds what best works for him.

The New F'n Show

Reaction score
I would say like of Charisma and mic skills plus his horrible road behavior the first couple years hurt him. He still has done very well for himself as is probably second to Cena though in the last 2 or 3 years.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I think he hasn't found his niche yet. He's got stuff to learn, like how to present himself in a manner that makes people really care about watching him. It's been the same shit for him, all hellish... he needs to create a personality larger than life, that people would do anything to watch unfold. He's there, but he's not the number one guy and probably won't be until he finds what best works for him.

Every year except this last one I might agree with that but on SD! he seemed to become more comfortable and flexible with his face persona as he put on great matches the entire year. Huge step up in terms of improving into a spot he had pretty much already earned.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
His attitude early in his career would have held him back from being the face of the company. Even now I can't see him ever being the face of the company, even if Cena had to suddenly retire due to injury. He just doesn't seem like a very personable person in interviews whereas Cena always looks happy to do interviews and looks like someone you could approach in the street whereas I doubt many would approach Orton if they saw him in the street. He isn't a marketable person outside of the product, hell even The Miz seems a lot better choice than Orton as face of the company.

Zen

Reaction score
As far as I know, he was *never* groomed to be the star of the company, certainly A star, but not THE star. Especially around that time, the WWE had other things to be concerned about. Austin's days at the top were over and everyone knew it. Rocky was trying to make it in Hollywood, and the WWE was vaguely aware that he was probably going to jump ship at some point. The person groomed around that particular time was Brock Lesnar, who ended up being unable to cope with travelling so he left the company. Randy Orton was nowhere near the top of the considerations of the booking team. He did seem to have a bright future for all the reasons you mentioned though.

The only time he was really considered for that position was around 2009(WM 25 time) and 2010, but he never reached the heights Cena did, and so he was scaled back and eventually when necessity demanded it, he was shipped to SD, as a number 2 or 3 top star in the company, which is still something.

Last edited: