Random Wrestling Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Found this on the shelf of the local library...

Screenshot 2023-09-14 194637.png

Summary:
"Industry expert Keith Elliot Greenberg chronicles pro wrestling through the most memorable, controversial, and polarizing period of the last two decades. As a new decade dawned, 2020 was supposed to be the best year to be a wrestling fan. Finally, WWE had serious competition in All Elite Wrestling (AEW), and there were viable secondary promotions and a thriving international indie scene. Few in the industry realized that in China, a mysterious virus had begun to spread. By the time a pandemic was declared in March, the business -- and the world -- was in disarray. For the first time, pro wrestling was no longer seen as escapism, as real-world events intruded on the fantasy. Still, when everything else shut down, wrestling never went away. Despite cancellations and empty arena shows, there were great innovations, like the cinematic match -- battles shot to look like movies -- and the "ThunderDome," which replicated the live experience with fan faces surrounding the ring on LED screens. On the indie circuit, matches were held outdoors with spectators separated into socially distanced pods. The entire time, New York Times bestselling author and historian Keith Elliot Greenberg was chronicling the scene, juxtaposing pro wrestling developments with actual news events like the U.S. presidential election and Brexit. The result, Follow the Buzzards: Pro Wrestling in the Age of COVID-19, captures the dread, confusion, and spontaneous creativity of this uncertain era while exploring the long-term consequences."-- Provided by publisher.

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw

Damn, that can't be good for the people in the area.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Last edited:
Reactions: Marty McFourth

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Last night, as I was figuring out some of the ins and outs of my mom's new TV I had the TV on a local channel, just to have it on something, I wasn't really watching the show, but the show that was on was called Positively America, and there was a segment at the end of the show asking people on the street how they manage to stay positive (I'd answer "who says I do"), but in the ending credits I saw "Executive Producer: Todd Pettingil". The guy who used to host some WWF shows in the mid-90's and gave away the new house at the first In Your House and was essentially the New Generation's Sean Mooney.

Reactions: Death By Looch

#Waddles

- Retired Vet -
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Wrestler
LDuO6dG
Anyone listen to 83 weeks podcast?

LOLOL these two go for the jugular every episode.

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score

I definitely recommend this episode, it was a great listen. I spent last night just going through it as I couldn't sleep. I haven't really kept up with Joe's podcast since he moved to Spotify and honestly I was not really enjoying it as much anymore. But I knew when Kurt was on it, I needed to check it out at some point. Kurt is such a fantastic storyteller and a very interesting guy to listen to. Really enjoyed some of the stories of how his matches ended up panning out and some of the stuff that was going on behind the scenes, especially the ones with Brock at WrestleMania and the Ironman match on Smackdown. Also the one where he got a conucssion during it. It's just crazy how dedicated he is/was to entertaining the fans despite going through a lot of shit.

He was really open and candid about his drug use. Which is not an easy thing to talk about. I have so much respect for the guy to come back from what he did, because man when he was talking about how many painkillers he was taking at a time and being surprised he's still here. That hit me a lot.

Yeah just a lot to digest but I really enjoyed it a lot. He's one of those guys I could just listen to talk about stories from his career for ages. He's really done it all in the business.

Reactions: Chris

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Kayfabe and Jorts are in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.......ever so timely.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Browsing Fite just to see what's what and came across a Super Indy show on tonight.

Got a very few nice names on there such as Blackwood, Gresham and Hammerstone. Also Blackwood vs Gresham in the first round.

Seems like a fun one to potentially catch up on when I have my subscription back on again.

iwc_wrestling_photo_1696434063262.jpg

Here's the bracket:
20231004_111931.jpg

Reactions: Hoss and Chris

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Also this PWPonderings site is really good for Indy events. I need to start using this more in the future to keep up to date with things.

I'm surprised I never came across it before.

Reactions: Skyefire and Chris

King Kota

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr