R & B Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;kRYLyI4CyhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRYLyI4CyhM[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Teairra Mari: Product vs. Promotion

Teairra Mari’s story went from fairy tale to forgotten tale in less than 12 months. Once upon a time heralded the ‘princess of the Roc’, 2005 saw Mari making her way onto the charts with ‘Make Her Feel Good’ – the thumping summer grown woman anthem. The then 17-year-old sang the commanding lyrics with a ‘Miss Thang’ conviction that would even make Monica proud. But even with all the promise and supposed support from then-mentor Jay-Z, Mari slowly found herself fading behind the chart success of wicked label-sister Rihanna. The latter, who was capitalizing off the then declining Caribbean craze sweeping the charts (see: Sean Paul, Elephant Man, etc), saw instant out-of-the-box success – interestingly with less visible support from shared mentor Jay-Z.
As both singer’s second singles from their debut albums failed to make much noise on charts, it seemed both were headed down the road to obscurity. That is, until 2006 saw a revamped Rihanna – more sex appeal, bigger budgets, stronger support. On the other hand, those who waited for a remixed Mari…waited.
…and waited. Mari finally reappeared in the late 2000s with the single ‘Hunt 4 U’, which failed to capture much attention the charts. Since then, Mari has become the mixtape queen; releasing song after song with no real response. Even when things appeared to look up after she scored high profile rapper assistance with singles ‘Cause a Scene’ (featuring Flo-rida) and ‘Sponsor’ (featuring Soulja Boy), Mari still failed to manage anything more than a briefly bated buzz.
Regardless of taste, one has to admit that all three singles from Mari’s unreleased sophomore album were quite commercially viable. Even in a musical landscape dominated by electro-Pop, the disregard of Mari’s music is surprising given the number of releases (visuals and audio) the singer has amassed over the last 2 years. However, this week Mari may have found her prince charming in label-head, producer Rico Love after word spread about the singer’s recent record label relocation to Love’s imprint ‘Division 1’ (Universal motown). Alas, we will all have to stay tuned to find out how that story ends.
So, That Grape Juice wants you to weigh in: Teairra Mari – Product vs. Promotion?
Is her product just not commercial enough for success (given the musical climate)? Or have Mari’s musical endeavors suffered marketing mishaps? Does she actually have a chance this go round?

Kairi

Reaction score
Hot Shots: Jennifer Hudson Shines In ‘Self’ Magazine

R&B belter Jennifer Hudson was spotted on the most recent cover of ‘Self’ magazine (on sale Thursday). In the mag the ‘Spotlight’ singer shed light on the usual topics – weight loss, movies, and more. She revealed:
Via People magazine:
“I didn’t even know I was considered plus-sized until I came to Hollywood. [It was not until an interviewer asked] ”How does it feel to be plus-sized in Hollywood?’ I looked around, like, Who is she talking to? Oh, me? I’m plus-sized? In the neighborhood I’m from in Chicago, a 16 is normal. But in Hollywood, everyone looks exactly the same, so I stood out.”
See photos of the Oscar winner below (via Self):
<style type="text/css"> #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </style><!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php -->
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"></dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>

Kairi

Reaction score
Beyonce’s ‘Heat’ Named Hottest Celebrity Fragrance

Beyonce may be used to seeing her name #1 on music charts, but this time the ‘Love On Top’ singer’s name appears atop another tally. The star has been granted the honor of the UK’s top selling fragrance, besting chart rivals Britney Spears’ (‘Radiance’) and Mariah Carey’s ‘Lollipop Bling’.
Heat’s follow-up fragrance ‘Heat Rush’ is also said to be making its way up the rankings.
See the entire list here (thanks to SR).

Kairi

Reaction score
R&B trier Trey Songz isn’t letting the Gold-only ceiling which has defined his career deter him. For, less than a year after releasing the moderately successful ‘Passion, Pain, & Pleasure’ LP, the crooner is lining up its follow-up.
Full story below…

When probed on his upcoming plans, during a recent interview with Glamazons, the 26 year old spilt that Earl Grey on the forthcoming LP:
GJ: What can we expect from you in the future? You’ve done music, fashion, fragrances, what’s next?
Trey Songz: I just did Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3-D coming out next year. I’m working on a new album entitled Chapter 5. Music will always be my first love. I’m going to South Africa and I’m elated about it. I’m taking my mother and family. That trip will be very instrumental in what this next album will be.
Let’s hope ‘Chapter 5′ boasts less panty dropping antics and more actual substance this go round. That way, Mr Songz’s Platinum dreams may be more than just an awkward line in that Kodak commercial.

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;rSjuNo7wycY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSjuNo7wycY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
Has Erykah Badu and rapper D.O.C. rekindled their relationship? According to DOC… yes. According to Erykah- absolutely not!
In an interview with The Dallas Observer, D.O.C. says he has recently been living part-time with Erykah and their 7-year daughter Puma- and that he hopes to incorporate the pair’s blended family into his upcoming reality series “I Got My Voice Back.” (Badu has a son by rapper Andre 3000 and another daughter by rapper Jay Electronica). In fact, D.O.C. says he wants the show to culminate in the two stars getting married.
Those words quickly got back to Erykah, who dispatched her people to release a statement cleaning up D.O.C.’s comments.
“Erykah has no plans to marry or have any sort of courtship with the D.O.C. Ms. Badu has no plans to allow a reality show to be filmed in her private Dallas residence or to include any of her children in the filming. Ms. Badu has no concrete plans further than a guest appearance in his reality show. The D.O.C.’s comments were either taken out of context, improperly interpreted, or reflective of his now, not-so-secret desires. Whatever the case, Erykah wishes D.O.C. well both spiritually and professionally.”
And in a bit of not so salacious news, Erykah is scheduled to attend and speak at the first ever Natural Hair Parade & Festival. The event will be held September 3rd in Erykah’s hometown of Dallas, Texas.
The event is the brainchild of Dallas based natural hairstylist Isis Brantley. “We’re calling for sponsors, schools, churches, community organizations, bands, clubs, parents, and children of all ages to join us as we celebrate and share knowledge,” she said in a press release.
Her good friend Badu has challenged her to get four hundred people to march in the parade! To help reach her goal, Isis is asking natural ladies to send out the following tweet: “Natural Hair Parade & Festival by @Naturallyisis Sept. 3, 2011 Dallas, TX #Naturalhair #Laboroflove FREE RSVP.”

Kairi

Reaction score
Though Beyonce has been confirmed to star in the 4th remake of “A Star is Born” and Clint Eastwood has been confirmed as the film’s director, the chances of the film actually being made are starting to look slimmer and slimmer.

Why?

As in
previous reports, it appears the lack of a high profile male counterpart to star alongside Beyonce, is keeping the film in limbo. This may be the reason why a recent article on IMDB says the film has been scrapped altogether

Despite Leonardo DiCaprio’s name being the latest to be thrown around as Beyonce’s leading man, the actor has never commented on the role and appears to already have three other films in pre-production.

So what’s next for the film, which has been
on and off again for over a year and a half now? Well, who knows? Maybe within the next few months some of the other actors whose names have been thrown around will eventually accept the role.

Better yet… maybe Hollywood will do what I would have done and just flat out offer the role to
Terrence Howard. He’s hot. He can sing. And he knows how to play several instruments, including the piano and the guitar.

I think he and Beyonce would make a striking couple on the big screen.

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;BB4GfmCagTc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB4GfmCagTc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;61o60nYS_Uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61o60nYS_Uo&feature=player_embedded#![/video]