R & B Music Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kairi

Reaction score
Beyonce covers InStyle: Talks Being A Great Wife & Possible Motherhood <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="480"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20"> </td><td class="td2" unselectable="on">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1618x2048 and weights 731KB.</td></tr></tbody></table>
On her friends
I am a girl’s girl. Women who don’t have female friends scare me. I love my friends, and I love sitting with them and listening to their stories
On her recent break and putting more focus on her marriage and kids
It was great to be a wife and travel with [my husband]. I had to turn down great things. I did it for my sanity, my life, my relationships, my nephew, my husband, my sister and my friendships. I deserved to give myself time to focus on things besides performing, filming and recording.”
When you’re young —18 or 19 — you have the energy and drive. That’s the time to work as hard as you can. Now I’m a woman, and because I gave it my all, I can focus on my marriage. I can decide I want to have kids. I can be the mother I want to be and dedicate myself to my children.​

Kairi

Reaction score
Billboard.biz: What should we be calling the company now?
Peter Edge: RCA. We still have the Jive, J and Arista imprints and they are not going to go away. But we will be focusing on the RCA brand. It's like Columbia Records, one of the longest standing names in the recorded music business. We want to up the ante for RCA and rebrand it.

.Biz: What are your plans for staffing?
Edge: We are in the throes of merging labels; not everything is worked out. I can you that Joe Riccitelli is running promotion on the pop side and Geo Bivins is running the urban side.

Our A&R staff already has a few people currently who we will be relying on. We have Mark Pitts, who is the president of urban music. [senior VP of A&R] Keith Naftaly is a longstanding RCA staffer. We have Rani Hancock who signed Ke$ha; and David Wolter who is handing the rock A&R side of things. We have Wayne Williams who is a longstanding Jive executive who signed R. Kelly, and we are adding a few others.

.Biz: How big is the roster?
Edge: We are still working on our newly combined roster. But when we get done, it will have about 70-80 acts, which is a good, manageable number. It will include a lot of superstars like Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears, R. Kelly, Ke$ha, Daughtry, Christina [Aguilera], Kelly Clarkson, Chris Brown and Justin Timberlake.

.Biz: How would you describe the label's mandate going forward?
Edge: As the business changes, it makes for an interesting time. There is a quiet revolution going on and what we are really talking about is not a record label but becoming a music company.

I have not been in promotion or management. I am coming at it from the music side, so I will put the focus on A&R. We will replenish the music we have and find a few significant signings. Doug Morris is really clear he wants to focus on A&R and building a roster.

We will be in diverse areas of the business. We will do co-publishing deals with Sony/ATV, where it is appropriate. We will look at the various interests of the artist. We may not be as deep as [Warner Music Group] into the 360 model, but we intend to be there where it make sense. That is where the conventional labels are morphing into and that is where the business is going.

There is a lot of talk about how artists could do it on their own. But we think the labels still will play a role. We offer marketing and promotion across all platforms, not just the conventional ones. We are a very necessary ingredient in the mix. We still offer one of the best packages in terms of finding talent, helping them to develop and achieve their potential in terms of recording and then promoting and marketing the records.

.Biz: How is the label weighted genre-wise?
Edge: We are market leaders in R&B and we want to up the ante on hip-hop. We just hired J Grand, who is one of the key players at Asylum. He will be working to bring more hip-hop here. We have Bryan Leach, who signed Pitbull and is working on other plays. So there is a definite plan to expand our dominance in R&B and grow hip-hop. A few significant signings in hip-hop will round out what we are doing in the urban area.

.Biz: And in pop?
Edge: We have a long list of artists including Ke$ha, Kelly Clarkson and Britney Spears. But still we want to grow here as we want to grow in urban. The other area I really want to grow is our rock roster. We already have artists like the Kings Of Leon, the Foo Fighters, the Dave Matthews Band, the Strokes and Ray LaMontagne, to name a few. But our focus is to build the next generation of rock artists. We have an act called Walk the Moon that I am excited about. We have a lot of people here who know about rock and alternative music. I am a fan of it and have a passion for it. Hopefully, we can encourage everyone to work more on those kinds of acts. Overall, I want to underline we are going to be a great music company, with music being the top of our focus.

Kairi

Reaction score
Who Is Luke James?

<object id="kaltura_player_1313507712" codeBase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="500" height="400">

<embed id="kaltura_player_1313507712" height="400" name="kaltura_player_1313507712" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" src="http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/cache_st/1313507712/wid/_630341/uiconf_id/4952651/entry_id/1_5gbeutyb" flashvars="&" allowscriptaccess="always" allownetworking="all" data="http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/cache_st/1313507712/wid/_630341/uiconf_id/4952651/entry_id/1_5gbeutyb" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#000000"></object></p>Beyonce knows. Universal Music know. And, very soon, you’ll know too. For, the industry buzz surrounding this New Orleans native shows sign of slowing.
Despite his humble age, the singer-songwriter is no stranger to the industry. Indeed, some may remember his J Records jaunt as part of R&B duo Luke & Q (their debut ‘My Turn’ still garners many a play here at TGJ HQ).
And while that venture didn’t propel James to the heights his talent called for, it also didn’t quel his desire to succeed. As such, he picked up pen and began crafting hits for a bevy of music’s biggest names – including Chris Brown (‘Crawl’) and Britney Spears (‘Kill The Lights’).
True talent, as the saying goes, can’t but be discovered eventually – and it wasn’t long before James’ abilities caught the attention of a certain Frank Gatson. Creative force behind the likes of Beyonce, EnVogue, Tyrese and the King of Pop Michael Jackson, Gatson spent a year honing and refining James, ultimately managing him into a lucrative record deal with Island Def Jam/Universal (by way of producer Danja’s New Age Rock Stars imprint).
Now ready to emerge from the shadows, James posits a compelling package. For, in an industry which increasingly favours image over substance, his pin-up looks and undeniable vocal ability sees him dually tick both boxes. It’s this combination which has also garnered him a fan in none other than Beyonce; who not only featured him prominently in her ‘Run The World’ visual, yet more over is an actual fan of his music.

So as to whet apetites for James’ forthcoming material, ‘HIT’ play on the clip above for a visual exclamation!

Kairi

Reaction score
Miguel Readies Sophomore Release, Fashion Line

‘Quickie’ crooner Miguel has been one of 2011’s most celebrated newcomers. With his hit ‘Sure Thing’ riding both Pop and R&B Billboard charts for weeks (and its follow-up showing promise of success repeat), the singer is hoping his sophomore release will keep up the momentum. Speaking with our friends over at TheBoomBox, find out what the California raised crooner had to say about this and a future foray into fashion after the jump:

Via BoomBox:
On next album:
“The next album I think is going to project more of my outlook on the world as opposed to my romantic experience,” he explains of the album, which has no title or projected release date as of yet. On ‘All I Want is You,’ I discussed my experience in my last three or four relationships. It was a great way to introduce myself because I think love brings us all together. But I think it’s a lot more that I can discuss and this album is going to definitely be that platform to really broaden the minds of fans.”
On fashion line:
“I’m designing. I’m a creative person, so be it music, photography and so-forth, I’m always creating. So I’m definitely working on some stuff that resonates with and speaks to the taste of an electric mind.”

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;cE-bnWqLqxE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE-bnWqLqxE&ob=av2e[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;Xxk4e59M8og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxk4e59M8og[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;v6kEDDESSgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kEDDESSgk&feature=related[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;JAnA6c7Jql4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAnA6c7Jql4&feature=fvwrel[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;6wPkC3DO_7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wPkC3DO_7Y&feature=relmfu[/video]

Kairi

Reaction score
[video=youtube;DXvMT_mVbqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvMT_mVbqw&feature=related[/video]