Question

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
Honestly this thread makes absolutly no sense... just because Angle uses the Ankle lock doesn't mean Swagger has 'ripped it off'. Seriously, there are only so many original moves, like clearly Kofi is the first guy I've see do the SOS, but my god any submission move is taken off someone else. Swagger does the ankle lock, who cares? its an effective submission move, it would be no different if he was doing the crossface or the cloverleaf, guys before him used them, and you's probably say he ripped off Malenko and Benoit. Ziggelr now uses the sleeperhold and i don't see you saying he ripped that off from Bob Backlund or Roddy Piper. Other than the fact that Swagger is a good amature wrestler and now uses the ankle lock i don't see a whole lot of resemblence to him and Angle. Sure Angle wears a singlet, Swagger wears a singlet... Don't know if you saw Swagger when he first started in ECW with basic Trunts, he looked god awful cause he doesnt have a "ripped" uper body, a singlet suits him. Other than the ankle lock their moves arn't that similar, Swagger on occasion will use a german suplex, but he is more of a power wrestler with spine busters and ground grapples, where as Angle uses a lot of suplexes. Just because he uses the Ankle Lock now is no reason to say hes ripped him off. Plus Swaggers gimmick is nothing like Angles... a very bad comparison of gimmicks if you ask me

Amateur wrestlers, thinks they are better than others because of their credentials, the wrestling attire, ankle lock, and I'm pretty sure Swagger did the "run up the ropes while opponent in on the top rope suplex". And this is coming from someone who hasn't watched SD in months. It's not just the moves that makes him look like knock off Kurt, it's everything as a whole. If Kofi were to do the ankle lock, this discussion wouldn't come up cause they (he and Kurt) are nothing alike. But to say the two are a very bad comparison is ludicrous.

Reaction score
Ziggler still does the Zig Zag.

If anyone on the roster needed a submission hold it was Swagger.

Question: Did Angle "rip off" Ken Shamrock by adopting the ankle lock?

Angle debuted within a few months of Ken leaving.
Swagger debuted nearly two years after Kurt left.

This post should have been first and the thread should have been closed.

...god...

Reaction score
Honestly this thread makes absolutly no sense... just because Angle uses the Ankle lock doesn't mean Swagger has 'ripped it off'. Seriously, there are only so many original moves, like clearly Kofi is the first guy I've see do the SOS, but my god any submission move is taken off someone else. Swagger does the ankle lock, who cares? its an effective submission move, it would be no different if he was doing the crossface or the cloverleaf, guys before him used them, and you's probably say he ripped off Malenko and Benoit. Ziggelr now uses the sleeperhold and i don't see you saying he ripped that off from Bob Backlund or Roddy Piper. Other than the fact that Swagger is a good amature wrestler and now uses the ankle lock i don't see a whole lot of resemblence to him and Angle. Sure Angle wears a singlet, Swagger wears a singlet... Don't know if you saw Swagger when he first started in ECW with basic Trunts, he looked god awful cause he doesnt have a "ripped" uper body, a singlet suits him. Other than the ankle lock their moves arn't that similar, Swagger on occasion will use a german suplex, but he is more of a power wrestler with spine busters and ground grapples, where as Angle uses a lot of suplexes. Just because he uses the Ankle Lock now is no reason to say hes ripped him off. Plus Swaggers gimmick is nothing like Angles... a very bad comparison of gimmicks if you ask me
Rofl, none of those comparisons even make sense. Oh man, when I see Dolph Ziggler the first thing that comes to mind is Bob Backlund. How old are you? Were you even watching wrestling when Kurt Angle debuted? They have basically the same gimmick, they're amateur wrestling athletes who use their previous mat experience and achievements as their gimmick. Anyone who was watching pre-2002 thought Kurt Angle when they first saw Swagger debut. The fact that he's now using his signature move is like I said, either a) a blatant rip-off by the WWE and/or Swagger (and maybe intentionally fucking with Angle) or b) a set-up for a feud. Your response was just a try-hard devil's advocate shit using complete obscure analogies and pedantic remarks.

Again, what does KEN SHAMROCK have anything to do with Kurt Angle's gimmick? Shawn Michaels used the Crossface, Triple H used the Figure Four. The main point of this thread is why is the WWE/Swagger playing even more on the fact that Swagger's gimmick is identical to Kurt's by having him use his finishing move. How is this concept so hard for you people, lol.

Reaction score
Kurt Angle made his bones in this business, not "ripping off", but very deliberately borrowing from Ken Shamrock. Yes he borrowed the ankle lock but he also borrowed his mannerisms when he started "snapping" when his character became more serious after the awesomeness of the Austin feud. The whole pulling down the straps, making crazy faces and suplexing anyone who moved and then setting an unbreakable ankle lock on people. That was Shamrock's act first. Throw in the borrowing of Benoit's rolling germans and Angle is cut from the same cloth. But guys never really rip off in this industry, it's always been a cycle of borrowing in this gimmicky business since the days of Georgeous George. That being said, Swagger is heavily borrowing from Angle to the point it looks like "ripping of".

Pat Patterson

Banned
Reaction score
Swagger is just doing what we tell him. We want him to be the next Angle. He is also my little teacup, short and stout. I like to watch him dress up in little girl's skirts in Mr. McMahon's office while we listen to Kool and the Gang and do lines of coke off my ass.

...god...

Reaction score
Swagger is just doing what we tell him. We want him to be the next Angle. He is also my little teacup, short and stout. I like to watch him dress up in little girl's skirts in Mr. McMahon's office while we listen to Kool and the Gang and do lines of coke off my ass.
Roflroflrofl, I love you.

But anyways, gonna throw out another question of discussion. I know Runjin flipped on Khali (and I know there will be more to come as that plot unfolds) but was there any reasoning or story behind him 'getting back together' with Khali or did he just randomly come out with him today? It's not too big of a deal since he did say all that shit in English so Khali wouldn't really know kayfabe wise, but I'm just wondering.

pumpt73

Reaction score
The only thing I can come up with is they're trying to capitilize on Swagger's collegiate wrestling days at Oklahoma where he was an All American at Heavyweight.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score

Lol Heath Slater uses the zig zag now