Question for older wrestling fans

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Buttermaker

Reaction score
I can find wrestling that interests me in all eras territories and promotions.

I think a big thing with youwrestling fans is they view territory day wrestling as low rent because the TV shows were shot in studios as opposed to arenas. The major events and matches were saved for the arenas and in a lot of cases good video tape isn’t available.

The amount of quality matches that took place in the Mid South Coliseum, in Spartanburg, in Greensboro, in Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, St Paul Minnesota that are just memories now is astronomical. there is lots of old WWE available, but the issue with lots of that is some of those matches were just not very good.
In closing, if good quality tape existed for a lot of the old territories the narrative may be different. However that just isn’t the case.

Reactions: Chris and Hoss

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I'm 32 and been watching wrestling since 1995 and I myself find some of the old stuff to be amazing but there is some stuff back then during those days that was a bore to watch just depends on who it is. Stuff before the 80's is what I struggle the most with I just can't get into it. So anytime I've showed a person in their 20's or younger stuff from those days the pace of it is probably the biggest complaint unless it is certain guys like Savage or Steamboat.

Reactions: Chris

Buttermaker

Reaction score
I'm 32 and been watching wrestling since 1995 and I myself find some of the old stuff to be amazing but there is some stuff back then during those days that was a bore to watch just depends on who it is. Stuff before the 80's is what I struggle the most with I just can't get into it. So anytime I've showed a person in their 20's or younger stuff from those days the pace of it is probably the biggest complaint unless it is certain guys like Savage or Steamboat.

it all comes down to what classic content you are watching. Are you watching WWF from the 70s because then yes, you’ll be bored. Or are you watching a bloody brawl between Lawler, Hickerson, Bass and Fargo because then you WILL be entertained.

JackieBoy23

Reaction score
I have been following wrestling since 1990, in full gimmick era, when here in Italy there was a boom thanks to television broadcasts.
Thanks to the availability of the internet, over the years, I have managed to embrace different eras of wrestling and therefore the differences stand out even more.
It is obvious that we are now used to a very fast way to wrestle in ring, even with the explosion of high level high flying, and therefore many matches ranging from 1970 to the first half of the 90s, may appear much slower and difficult to understand .
But we must never forget that what matters in wrestling is storytelling above all.
The 80s live on storytelling: there can be younger fans passionate about beautiful stories told in the ring and then the 80s become a perfect ground to cultivate your passion.
There are also very avant-garde matches for that time too (my first thought about is Dog Collar Match between Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine), but it is good that a fan gets used to the idea that he will attend a match with a more cautious, more restrained rhythm.
It is not easy to bring the new generation closer to the wrestling of such a "remote" past, but I believe that if one is passionate about psychology in the ring, then he can have easy access to even those matches that are more difficult to "understand".

Reactions: Lady Redfield

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
it all comes down to what classic content you are watching. Are you watching WWF from the 70s because then yes, you’ll be bored. Or are you watching a bloody brawl between Lawler, Hickerson, Bass and Fargo because then you WILL be entertained.
Yeah was talking bout WWF mostly there is some stuff outside of WWF I didn't like either but Lawler is a guy I've always enjoyed

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
I have been following wrestling since 1990, in full gimmick era, when here in Italy there was a boom thanks to television broadcasts.
Thanks to the availability of the internet, over the years, I have managed to embrace different eras of wrestling and therefore the differences stand out even more.
It is obvious that we are now used to a very fast way to wrestle in ring, even with the explosion of high level high flying, and therefore many matches ranging from 1970 to the first half of the 90s, may appear much slower and difficult to understand .
But we must never forget that what matters in wrestling is storytelling above all.
The 80s live on storytelling: there can be younger fans passionate about beautiful stories told in the ring and then the 80s become a perfect ground to cultivate your passion.
There are also very avant-garde matches for that time too (my first thought about is Dog Collar Match between Roddy Piper and Greg Valentine), but it is good that a fan gets used to the idea that he will attend a match with a more cautious, more restrained rhythm.
It is not easy to bring the new generation closer to the wrestling of such a "remote" past, but I believe that if one is passionate about psychology in the ring, then he can have easy access to even those matches that are more difficult to "understand".

For me, when it comes to being a wrestling fan in general, I totally get the younger generation may not like the pace older wrestling was at, as they’re just so used to fast, high flying, crazy stunt type wrestling, but, if I’m introducing someone to wrestling, or, if I know someone who’s not familiar with the old school material, I’m a firm believer they should watch it and learn it. If they don’t like it, that’s fine, I don’t expect that, I just want them to respect the roots, respect the legends, appreciate where the product they know and love today came from.

JackieBoy23

Reaction score
For me, when it comes to being a wrestling fan in general, I totally get the younger generation may not like the pace older wrestling was at, as they’re just so used to fast, high flying, crazy stunt type wrestling, but, if I’m introducing someone to wrestling, or, if I know someone who’s not familiar with the old school material, I’m a firm believer they should watch it and learn it. If they don’t like it, that’s fine, I don’t expect that, I just want them to respect the roots, respect the legends, appreciate where the product they know and love today came from.

I totally agree.
And then, looking at the matches of the past, I realize more and more how today's superstars have drawn a lot from what was received in the 80s and 90s. Even today, there are matches of the past that are ahead of their time for speed of action , for psychology.
Of course, wrestling has evolved over the years and it's a good thing that it does: the world changes and even wrestling cannot remain anchored to what it was in the past. It must take the good from its roots and customize it to make it always a fresh and innovative product.
But knowing the past is fundamental to understand the present and that's why younger fans have to watch matches from the past, know the legends and appreciate even the "slowest", but decidedly more "studied" matches.
Let's say I would never start with the Flair and Steamboat trilogy, but it would certainly be a series of matches that a fan must watch at least once in his life to understand wrestling at its best.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Tbh I watched the Flair/Steamboat trilogy on repeat when I was like 7 bc I had a Flair DVD with them on it, but I'm probably the weird one for that lol

Reactions: JackieBoy23