Perhaps the easiest way to determine who has the right to call their sport "Football"

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aids Johnson

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
maybe that's the problem. Too many names for the same products. It's probably why you call Football Soccer and can't figure out a good name for Football that people would use normally.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
I don't care for it personally, but the CFL is much much older than the NFL.
NFL first season: 1920
CFL first season: 1958

silly Senhor, you think you would have remembered the NFL debuting back when you were a kid.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Yeah, last year was the 100th anniversary of the awarding of the grey cup.
Didn't they award the Grey Cup back when they were basically playing rugby before the rules adjusted to make it look more like real football?

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Didn't they award the Grey Cup back when they were basically playing rugby before the rules adjusted to make it look more like real football?
Nope, first awarded in 1909 for football. So I retract my first statement, I replace it with this: the grey cup is older than the nfl championship.

Reactions: Dolph'sZiggler

Muur

The Artiste
Reaction score
122ca7bc6e3c2457e50181f4454f1fc0.jpg

this makes it simpler

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Lol at the handegg stuff. It's a oval shape, guess we should just rename the shape egg :badass:

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Well, it's a good point. It's a rather trivial issue in the grand scheme of things, but I think the issue gets brought up because Americans, more than anyone else it seems, often have this smug "My country is better than yours" attitude about themselves, and this attitude is usually expressed by making fun of other countries for calling things by different names, or laughing at the fact that they do their calendars/dates different than we do (since Americans sometimes deem their country's customs or beliefs or whatever as superior.) And one of the ways they make fun of other nations is for the fact that they think other countries "have it wrong" for calling a game Soccer that they commonly associate as Football. So a lot of people in other countries have fun handing some of it back by pointing out how silly it is to call a game played entirely with your feet Soccer, and a game that consists of carrying an egg from one side of the field to the other Football.

For a country that likes to constantly brag about being "The Greatest Nation On Earth", Americans can be amazingly dumb at times.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Jeez, I am not even mad at calling It football(I mean, they do kick the "ball" from time to time). What really gets on my nerves is using the word "America" as a synonymus for U.S.A. I mean, I am born and raised in Brasil, so I am american also. Also, the measure units and dates and stuff.
be94a498f565a8031d4c7549f1d171b2.jpg

PS: Yeah, I do like raging about trivial stuff.

Last edited: