Partial Page Refresh on threads

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tzesi

The Artiste
Reaction score
Make the threads to refresh automatically like every 5 seconds.
See more: http://blog.mediasoft.be/partial-page-refresh-with-ajax-and-jquery/

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
^ I quoted a different member.
Why did I take it personally?

Obviously, seeing as it's this late, I couldn't care less about being right, but this thread has simply turned into a competition over who can seem the most confident in their opinions without providing factual evidence.

That includes me, and that is an insult.

Anonymous

The Artiste
Reaction score
That different member was me, I switched from my phone to my ipod and forgot to log out. I assumed by the style of the post that it would be pretty obvious to everyone that it was me, and neglected to mention it. I guess I overestimated.

Perhaps an insult, otherwise an observation. I kept seeing people mention stress on the server yet failing to mention how, exactly, it would be stressful. Saying 200 queries by 59 users on 22 threads in 10 minutes* is hardly a scientific evaluation.

To end my part on this discussion, I'll also mention that this feature would most likely be limited to superstars, therefore dropping any stress (if only slightly) significantly. Having said that, I've no real attachment to this feature at all really. I'm not particularly bothered if it isn't implemented, my being on this thread was simply just to re-establish how I expect to be viewed by others.**

[size=x-small]
* This was an overly exaggerated example, don't get insulted and claim misquotation.
** To avoid any preconceptions, I meant the negative aspect of views. I treat people with no bias; if I'm prompted to, I'll stand ground regardless of how it makes others feel. Some might assume this is childish, I would consider it an apt way to understand another user. Dancing around a subject is no help to anyone.***
*** In the off-chance you've been insulted again by this statement, I mention it purely as a general observation and didn't mean it with anyone in mind.

[/size]

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
This isn't science, it is experience.
I'd like to see it work properly, then I've learned something, but I don't think it can.
Oh, and btw,

13. Only one account per person. Multiple accounts will result in closing of all accounts. Ban circumvention will result in permanent ban of your accounts.

Set an example.

Anonymous

The Artiste
Reaction score
It's vital as a developer to have a testing account, in order to view the forum as it is viewed by normal members.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Think he's using the account as a beta-tester. Don't know if you can see the "?" in the username with your usergroup. There's really one way to be sure if it will harm the server and that's use it, but I don't think it's the most necessary feature in MyBB, and this discussion has got out of hand. Only reason it's not closed is because it's actually a mature debate.

Though we're sort of going round and circles here. Both sides could be right in some parts and wrong in others. I do know however that if I asked many of the big-board-owners on MyBB they'd say not to use it because of my initial fears of it putting pressure on the server (needless pressure I should add).

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
This isn't mature at all. Quick insults here and there,

Maybe I'm just used to debating to people with more back-bone.

I'm trying to debate, not win an argument or appear witty.
I have put my point across, now you can prove me wrong, and write this complex code for such a trivial feature. If you manage to make it work properly, well done.

Anonymous

The Artiste
Reaction score
The whole definition of a debate is to win an argument.

I've clearly mentioned that I haven't any interest in this feature at all, my aim here was mentioned above. I wasn't particularly interested in debating for the feature, more against the opposing statements in this thread on why this feature is a bad idea.

Tzesi

The Artiste
Reaction score
Solidus said:
This isn't mature at all. Quick insults here and there,

I'm trying to debate, not win an argument or appear witty.
I have put my point across, now you can prove me wrong, and write this complex code for such a trivial feature. If you manage to make it work properly, well done.

It is not such a complex code and it would be nice to have
if it doesn't add pressure on the server.

All of that stuff you guys say are theories and no one (imo)
can estimate how much pressure (if) it would add to the server.

Debating makes no sense here,
I posted this thread to find out if you guys would like to have
this feature implemented to this forum.
That's all :)

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
Anonymous said:
The whole definition of a debate is to win an argument.

I've clearly mentioned that I haven't any interest in this feature at all, my aim here was mentioned above. I wasn't particularly interested in debating for the feature, more against the opposing statements in this thread on why this feature is a bad idea.

Yes, in a formal manner.
You turned it into a one-man fight with your hostile behaviour. I won't join in on that.
So, this feature isn't going to be added? Thread closure is the norm here.