Opinion: Gunther's opponent is not a SummerSlam worthy world title match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
The MITB cash in just ruins this whole thing to me, it's like a plot hole. When the rest of Judgement Day do turn on Priest, I won't feel sorry for him.
Fair enough. So just so I get this straight, using the money in the bank means you won’t feel sorry for him. Which is fair enough again because that’s your prerogative. I will often root for a good heel beat down myself but again just to be clear Judgment Day cheating in all their matches not a dealbreaker?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Not in meaningless squash matches when you have a big title match coming up, work smarter.
Just when I think I’m out your reel me back in.

That last line of yours I agree with, but you should think about that again incredibly hard because if you actually think about that last thing you just said your entire opinion on everything else we’ve talked about tonight will change.

BillyBob42

Reaction score
Fair enough. So just so I get this straight, using the money in the bank means you won’t feel sorry for him. Which is fair enough again because that’s your prerogative. I will often root for a good heel beat down myself but again just to be clear Judgment Day cheating in all their matches not a dealbreaker
I'm not taking sides here, you just reap what you sow.

BillyBob42

Reaction score
Just when I think I’m out your reel me back in.

That last line of yours I agree with, but you should think about that again incredibly hard because if you actually think about that last thing you just said your entire opinion on everything else we’ve talked about tonight will change.
Nope, it will not.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You can’t excuse a workhorse, not wanting to work because it’s better to work smarter and then be mad about the fact that every bank winner in the history of time (outside 2%) has realized working smarter is the entire point of the concept.

Anyways, that was just a rhetorical point because I just thought that it was funny that you said that. So we’ll move on now.

BillyBob42

Reaction score
You can’t excuse a workhorse, not wanting to work because it’s better to work smarter and then be mad about the fact that every bank winner in the history of time (outside 2%) has realized working smarter is the entire point of the concept.

Anyways, that was just a rhetorical point because I just thought that it was funny that you said that. So we’ll move on now.
You and I have very different definitions of working smarter.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
You and I have very different definitions of working smarter.
We do. Mine includes actually working but smarter within the frames of the rules established by the people who regulate the system. Yours is just not working until you have to.

In case you missed it above, though. I’m just busting your balls.

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Not in meaningless squash matches when you have a big title match coming up, work smarter.
Literally Seth Rollins was the exact opposite. He worked in meaningless (to him and his title) matches when he had Championship defences upcoming.

He did it all the time but hell WrestleMania is the biggest example. Dude has a serious knee injury but still wrestles a meaningless tag match less than 24 hours before his Title defense.

Storm Trooper

If I can be Storm Trooper for a Minute
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
zackryder
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
samizayn
Favorite Wrestler
7rtdSS0
Favorite Wrestler
88j8DYn
Favorite Wrestler
LmZfvje
Favorite Sports Team
RRzOmtg
Favorite Sports Team
bMIeUcR
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si

You're 100% spot on here. Don't know if you include RVD in the work smart cash-in but I do. Sure Cena wasn't beat up but that match was the biggest possible road game for Cena which helped RVD pull off the win. Definitely a work smarter move.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Even babyfaces have used money in the bank on wounded opponents. Using the one specific MITB example as a reason for not being a workhorse is a terrible argument tbh.

But since then Damien has been trying to prove that he doesn’t need Judgment Day’s
help to defend his title. So like Kross Rhodes said, if you just hate MITB then nothing is gonna change your mind. Oh well.

Jazz Wolf

Friendship Wolf
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
shannonmoore
Am I too late for the MITB discussion? I enjoy the concept as a 'you're never really safe/break glass in case of emergency' failsafe, but I can absolutely agree that the way it's been used has gotten very stale over the past years. The problem is that it never really seems like they plan it out, just throw it on a uppercarder they're fairly high on and either cash it in fairly quickly or arbitrarily decide 'y'know we don't want to deal with this cloud looming over things, sooooo laters.'

I can't believe it's been around for, like, 20 years and they still havn't gone down the route of 'overtly paranoid and picky MITB holder waiting for the perfect time to cash in, except the champion is a monster hoss and he's going to get absolutely murdered if he even so much as makes eye contact with him, so he's getting more and more desperate to cash in as the MITB case gets closer to it's expiry date but there's never the perfect scenario until whoops it's the last day, now or never my guy'. Like they always say 'it's good for a year' but never really put forth any story that takes into the account of 'yeah no it's good for A YEAR tops, expiry date is a thing.' Or a 'tag team guy wins it and cashes in on the tag titles with his partner, because FRIENDSHIP.' Just... More stories than the usual can absolutely exist and some variation would go a long way to making the concept feel fresher.

Buuuut we've kinda moved on from MITB, so, more to the point: The story of Priest being all 'ha I don't need the Judgement Day' then as it turns out he absolutely needs the Judgement Day but is too high on his own fumes to come to terms with it, is a fair story even if I feel like it's started to be stretched a touch thin. It's a story for himself, rather than a story for himself and the next PPV opponent, and his refusal to acknowledge his own inability to get the job done solo is tying in to the Judgement Day's own story of implosion. Does it make him seem weak or not suitable to be the world champion? Potentially. If that's the interpretation of the story, then that's the point, and that's how I'm reading it. A story of inadaquecy and fluking your way up whilst pushing away the people who got you there in the first place, is how I'm reading it.

Now the question is, should they be telling a different story, since this is the world champion and all? A story that makes the world champion feel more worthy of being a world champion? Shrug. That's up to you to decide. I imagine, as the next few weeks pass and Gunther injects himself into Priest's story more officially, it'll feel like slightly more of a world title story. Wether it does so to you at that point, is your call.

There we go, typed an extra few paragraphs to make sure this is still on topic.

Reactions: Chris

BillyBob42

Reaction score
Even babyfaces have used money in the bank on wounded opponents. Using the one specific MITB example as a reason for not being a workhorse is a terrible argument tbh.

But since then Damien has been trying to prove that he doesn’t need Judgment Day’s
help to defend his title. So like Kross Rhodes said, if you just hate MITB then nothing is gonna change your mind. Oh well.
So just because babyfaces do it, I have to think it's okay?

Sabretooth

Reaction score
So just because babyfaces do it, I have to think it's okay?
Im not saying you have to think it’s okay. Clearly you’re just gonna hate on this match and nothing is gonna change your mind and that’s ok. I just think you’re making a very weak argument.