Old guys to keep wrestling? Yay or Nay?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Sabretooth

Reaction score
I have this question after the shitshow that was Undertaker vs Goldberg. After nearly killing each other multiple times the match mercifully ended. Obviously these two were in no condition to face off and the match was a disaster. Other than Undertaker vs Goldberg, another curious note was that Triple H vs Randy Orton got by far the longest match time at the PPV. It seems like it's been a problem all throughout wwe history that Vince rather have legends wrestle and main event and get longer matches rather than the current stars. Yes, you could argue that legends equals paychecks but is it fair to the young guys and the legends themselves to go out and wrestle as a shell of their former self? So if you're Vince, do you keep bringing back the old guys for that "one more match" or let them ride off in the sunset?

Cwalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
codyrhodes
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
jaylethal
Favorite Sports Team
BZw58qk
Well these Saudi shows are basically built off the back of guys that were in their prime 20 years ago so I understand why Vince keeps sending them out there.

Me personally? I don’t want to see it so I don’t watch it. I already said I planned on cutting the show off when it came to the main event and after hearing that these dudes almost killed themselves; I’m good.

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Depends who they are and can still go. Triple H vs Orton was a good match, so I got no problem there. But when you clearly can’t go then no match should happen. When it’s two people who can’t go it sure as hell shouldn’t happen. So I say it just sucks truly depends.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
The only guy that I really want to see retire is Undertaker because it just seems to get worse every time he gets in the ring. Kane should probably call it a day as well. Goldberg might still have a couple matches left if he can avoid scrambling his brains before or during the match. Triple H is fine. Far from his prime but still capable. And I pray we never see HBK wrestle again because it was more sad than anything seeing him come back for that tag match.

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I've never really been big on saying guys are "ruining their legacy" by wrestling too long, like I remember some wrestlers saying people would only remember Flair's later career as opposed to his greatness in the 80s and 90s, and that's just laughably wrong. I don't really have a problem with guys coming back for a check, especially for a Saudi show, I mean it's their lives who am I to dictate it. Not saying I enjoy the matches usually, especially that Taker/HHH and the DX/BoD match last year, and Goldberg/Taker was just a fuckin' mess but thankfully didn't get 30 minutes like those other two did.

But the question posed was should Vince be letting them do this, and I think that's actually a very good one bc we've seen HHH have that bad pec injury last year, HBK and Goldberg both busting themselves open accidentally and Goldberg/Taker almost killing each other a couple times. So yeah, Vince is def the guy to make the final call on that and it's on him as much as the workers if they get hurt IMO, but it's not like I'm upset the matches are happening, like Cwalker said, if you don't wanna watch them then you don't have to. I'm gonna watch them just bc it's programming and trainwrecks always get my attention, but it's definitely sad at times. But overall, if they're getting a shit ton of money for it, especially for these Saudi shows, I can't really blame the guys for wanting to go and if they really wanna go then I can't blame Vince for letting them, but fuck they ain't gotta go and kill each other. I don't think HHH/Orton should have gotten 25 minutes, but that match wasn't really bad and they were pretty safe about it through and through compared to the DX match were Shawn was out here almost killing himself doing moonsaults out of the ring. It's just for nostalgia anyway, just do some Rock/Hogan shit for the crowd, you ain't gotta go all NXT in here when the name value is what people care more about than the in-ring work.

Reactions: Jimmy King

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
My thing with it is if you're going to use the old guys I think using them against younger talent who can help carry them makes more sense rather than using two old guys against each other. Like we saw HBK look like he has something left in the tank in that tag match but imagine if you put him against a AJ or a Seth Rollins or a Daniel Bryan guys who could cover up some of the weaknesses he has as being old. There are some guys who just need to sit down regardless but I think old guys should go against young guys if you're going to insist on using these dudes.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
My thing with it is if you're going to use the old guys I think using them against younger talent who can help carry them makes more sense rather than using two old guys against each other. Like we saw HBK look like he has something left in the tank in that tag match but imagine if you put him against a AJ or a Seth Rollins or a Daniel Bryan guys who could cover up some of the weaknesses he has as being old. There are some guys who just need to sit down regardless but I think old guys should go against young guys if you're going to insist on using these dudes.

Then you might run into problems of people complaining about the old dudes winning especially if it's at a Saudi show when they would def win bc they're just built on nostalgia

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I never for the life of me thought that Undertaker would be that guy who hangs around for too long not knowing when to hang it up.

e1abe-15599711074339-800.jpg

He liked that post on Insta and it kinda baffles me in all honesty. I'm gonna assume that his bank balance is plenty healthy enough to live out his life without needing to wrestle and somewhat tarnish his legacy. I get it though, the lure of the fat WrestleMania and Saudi paydays is obviously huge but lets not pretend like you don't have the option to say no.

Putting the monetary reasons aside and just focusing on the stuff that actually matters to us, I really have no desire to see him anymore and have felt like this for a long time. For so many years his whole thing was the WrestleMania streak, so when that ended I feel like he should have too. There's no streak aura, his matches weren't must watches anymore and he just seemed like a broken shell of himself. At the very worst he should have officially retired after the Roman loss, passing the torch and the yard as it were.

I mean I guess they could actually give him smaller guys to work with like an AJ or Finn who will no doubt make him look miles better than he has in a long time but eh.

As far as the other guys go, it's all case by case stuff. Goldberg was sports entertaining in his stuff with Brock. Trips while not what he was can still at least deliver to a high degree in the promo department so I don't mind him still being somewhat active.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If there's a company willing to pay and people willing to go watch....it doesn't matter what we think.

also....we not talking about PCO or even Jericho? PCO in particular is a bigger disaster than Undertaker.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
If there's a company willing to pay and people willing to go watch....it doesn't matter what we think.

also....we not talking about PCO or even Jericho? PCO in particular is a bigger disaster than Undertaker.

Who or what is PCO

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Who or what is PCO

Pierre Carl Oullet, the former Quebecer from the 90s that can't see out of one eye so he has an eyepatch. He's like 50 now and signed to ROH, I haven't watched anything from his "comeback" so I don't have an opinion on him personally.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Who or what is PCO
an old man being used by all the cool companies who takes Blue bumps and is over 50
tumblr_ppl62oqbRO1s05wxzo1_400.gif

Somehow nobody talks about him like they do Undertaker.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
an old man being used by all the cool companies who takes Blue bumps and is over 50

Bc no one cares about those companies :ortonout

Reactions: Cwalker and Deezy

Sabretooth

Reaction score

A) he probably needs the money
B) no one cares about those companies
C) no one cares about him lol

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
PCO and Jericho are both better performers than Undertaker at this stage. PCO is a lunatic for taking the bumps he does but he still gets up and gets around just fine. I wouldn't mind if he stopped because I don't want him to die in the ring (or on the floor more likely) but you can't even really say he's washed like Taker.

Also very disappointed at the notion no one cares about PCO or the companies he works for. Most people who are actually fans of the sport beyond WWE are familiar with what he's been doing these last couple years.

Reactions: Jimmy King