Official WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Yeah GM Mode rocked...I won it before...best feeling ever when you win..Its pretty amazing..knowing you worked hard enough to get it..

Now I won't get to have that feeling anymore..Its pretty whack if you ask me.

Kassidy

Reaction score
Cuz I love Ashley... And My WWE is still a rumor and yet to be announced

Nation

September 25, 2008 - Yesterday, the IGN SmackDown vs. Raw boards lit up when some investigative, eagle-eyed fans were able to visit the official WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 Website and discover a document listing a ton of wrestlers. Many interpreted it as the official roster, which THQ hasn't detailed and IGN is announcing day by day. When the news broke, fans began debating whether the list was the real deal or if it was some kind of placeholder text.

Today, THQ is speaking out.

"The WWE SmackDown vs. Raw brand has a huge fan base," a statement from the company reads. "While we appreciate the enthusiasm surrounding the upcoming launch of the next installment in the franchise, unfortunately the information that has been circulating the internet is based on speculation and is not the confirmed roster. We look forward to continuing to reveal the official WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009 roster through our annual campaign on IGN and hope our fans will continue logging on to get the most accurate information."

Looks like we'll have to keep on watching and waiting.

Good and bad. Thank god Hornsoggle,Snitsky, and Boogeyman are most likely not in. Also good because i want Mike Knox,Maryse,Natalya,Katie Lea, and Paul Burchill in. But bad because Londrick might not be in.

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Sounding pretty good. Hoping and praying to god that Knox is in the game. Would be cool to see some WWE Legend Tag teams in the mix aswell.

the dark knight

Well RTW wont fail, and they will have something for the CAWs thats one of the highest points in the game and they know it so how about you wait for more details to be released because there is another mode they have not announced that every superstar can take part in and it was in one of the first previews.

As for the 3 on 1, like i said i have no problem winning it under 8 mins if you want ill take a vid for you and i only play on legend difficulty since they put it in years ago.
it still fails cuz its for certain superstars. they could've made up 10 storylines for 10 seasons, each of them can be put on everyone. it also fails cuz its appears to be too damn short.

If you've been following the SmackDown Countdown here on IGN, you're probably well aware of the game's Abilities, which give Superstars special moves, taunts, and so on. To get Abilities for you created Superstar, you'll need to earn them in Career Mode. You do this by performing specific actions. Pull off at least 50 object attacks in your career, and you'll unlock the Object ability so that you can perform grapples with the stuff from under the ring. If you rake in three five-star matches with three different opponents who have the Dity Pin Ability, you'll get that Ability. From your private jet, you can scope what Abilities are in the game, but the title won't tell you how to unlock the options until after you unlock them.
then how the fuck am i supposed to know how to unlock them? im a little confused.

Nation

September 26, 2008 - Fall's a pretty great time of year. Yeah, yeah -- there are all those leaves changing colors, the return of football, and pumpkins or whatever -- but what the fall really means is that it's wrestling game season.

This year's no different at IGN. The SmackDown Countdown (where we debut the SVR roster one character at a time) is in full effect, we've already had two Friday Fights (full SVR matches the fans choose), and now there's another THQ&A (where THQ answers questions from the IGN readers).

Want to get in on the action? Want to vote on the new match we feature on Friday Fights? Want to ask Cory a question? You'll need to start checking the IGN SmackDown board then, brutha.

Until then, enjoy this fan-driven interview, but keep in mind reader questions have not been edited so that they may serve as a catalyst to scare kids back into the classroom.

Patroclus300: Will Legends be in this year? or will you leave Legends out for DLC, and make room for more wrestlers?

Bryan Williams, Creative Manager: We'll be making a formal announcement regarding the specifics of our DLC plans within the coming weeks.

Patroclus300: Why are their only 7 wrestlers available for RTW mode? Why did you leave superstars like Orton, or HBK out of RTW mode?

Justin Leeper, Creative Designer (Road to WrestleMania designer): We think Road to WrestleMania is a significant improvement in comparison with our previous season modes. Before, players took their selected Superstars through generic storylines. Road to WrestleMania stays faithful to WWE's most popular Superstars through unique storylines. For example, Undertaker's story has supernatural elements that only fit him, while Triple H's story delves into his colorful past.

Because of these changes, each story requires very unique design, performances and programming. In fact, Road to WrestleMania Mode's scripts were 250 pages long. We have over 2 1/2 hours of motion-captured scenes and other exclusive goodies. Each story is a huge undertaking, residing in its own private universe.

Keep in mind the stories aren't just about who the player is controlling. Take the two Superstars you mentioned: We did not leave out Shawn Michaels or Randy Orton. They play major roles in at least one story. Both actually have more voiceover lines than some of the playable Superstars!

When the game comes out, try Road to WrestleMania. We think people will want to complete each story – not just for the tales they tell, but also the numerous unlockables and unique elements.

GhastlyDeadman15: When is the cut of the roster? because people say is night of champions and others say wrestlemania.

Bryan Williams: There is no particular date or point in time in which we lock down the roster. The roster cutoff date is governed by our own internal production schedule. I've read a couple posts on the IGN message boards claiming that Night of Champions is the cutoff date. The roster cutoff has nothing to do with the WWE's PPV schedule. It'd be a whole lot cooler if that were the case.

mumtaz1324: WILL ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF THIS GAME'S ONLINE MODE WILL BE IMPROVED I.E. THE ABILITY TO PLAY YOUR FRIENDS ONLINE.

Bryan Williams: We'll be unveiling our online feature set shortly. Without giving too much away, I can confirm that you'll be able to play your friends online. Stay tuned to IGN for more details.

kvn_mixon: Will Divas be able to participate in Six Man Tag matches this year?

Bryan Williams: Players will be able to use the WWE Divas in Six Man Tag Team events.

El-Nuevo-Muchacho: The new features in the tag team match are awesome, but my question is how will they work in single player tag matches where the Superstar on the apron is controlled by the computer? Will their be a way to command them to do certain things like pull down the ropes or grab the opponent, such as with the manager controls in past games, or will we just have to hope they're thinking what we're thinking? Thanks.

Bryan Williams: This is a great question. There is no way to directly control or instruct the AI tag partner on the apron. The AI has been tuned to anticipate actions and behaviors during the match so that the player isn't saddled with having to compete against the legal opponent while at the same time be responsible for commanding the AI partner on the apron. If an opponent in the ring happens to get too close to the AI partner, the AI player will make the grab so that the player-controlled Superstar can perform a double team move or strike. If the player is getting whooped on by an opponent and is close to defeat, the AI partner will begin to generate a hot tag on behalf of the team. Players can also rely on their AI partners to break up potential match ending pin/submission attempts without worry. After completing a tag team match, players can judge the partner AI for themselves. I'm confident that fans will be pleased with all of the improvements that have been made, from gameplay to AI.

angelito: are we having the special ref. match in this year...? i had lots of fun when we had it... when is the demo coming out ?

Bryan Williams: I can confirm that the special referee match figures prominently in one of the Road To WrestleMania stories. I can honestly say it's like nothing you've ever experienced before in a SmackDown game. The Special Referee match is just one of the many cool and unique features that players will only be able to experience playing through Road To WrestleMania mode. As for the demo, it will be out soon. I'm sure Gruesome Greggy will let all of you know when it's available.

MGM1314: When doing research, do y'all really look at some or all of the wrestling vids(i.e. WWE,TNA,ROH,NOAH,NJPW,and AJPW)and decide whether or not this wrestling move is appropriate for the game?

Bryan Williams: Everyone on the team is an avid fan of professional wrestling. When it comes to wrestling, we watch everything! I personally watch roughly 10 hours of wrestling- related programming each week. When it comes to deciding on which moves are implemented, our first order of business is to make sure that each WWE Superstar and Diva in the game has a move-set that is as accurate as possible. In deciding what's appropriate for implementation, it's as simple as identifying a move that looks cool and adding it to our motion capture shot list. We take tremendous pride in our Create A Move-Set, and we make it a top priority to increase the number of available moves each and every year.

CAZH718: will you be able to play your custom music during matches?

Bryan Williams: Yes, players will be able to play their own custom music during matches. However, this functionality will only be supported on the Xbox 360.

jakuls_hell: pedigree on stairs?

Bryan Williams: Players can do a lot of cool things with weapons in WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2009, but sadly, performing a pedigree on the steel steps is not one of them. However, I'm not going to end this question on a sour note. In this year´s game, you'll be able to DDT an opponent on top of a steel chair. It may not be a pedigree, but the move is extremely impactfull and appropriately gruesome. Jake the Snake would definitely approve.

wwefnfurlife: Is there any chance of the true backstage ever returning to the games. Like in the days of here comes the pain, in hardcore matches we could travel from the ring to backstage, vice versa freely is that ever going to be back.

Bryan Williams: We hear this request a lot from the fans. I want everyone reading this to know that your pleas for interconnected backstage environments do not fall on deaf ears. Interconnected backstage environments will make a return appearance sometime in the future. Understandably, I'm not at liberty to say when, but expect to see this implemented sooner rather than later.

seX-Power

This game is lookin pretty awesome and i am not turned down by the career and RTW modes. I hope there is going to be the rumored 'My WWE' thing where it is like GM mode because I love GM mode. The roster is looking pretty cool but still lol at Ashley being there. Khali got an 82, rofl.

Moonlight Drive

GM Mode was very fun, but it was fucked in 2008 with all that weekly stuff imo. I just want to book the fucking shows, I don't care about autographs~!

RTW and Career both look incredible, this is set to be the best Svr in years.

Create-a-finisher=Pure Awesomeness in a Can

Dylanfsd

Reaction score
Wait, so is it official that GM mode is not going to be on?

And how does Downloadable conetent work for the psp?