Official SummerSlam Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

CenaMark54

Anyone who rated Cena/Orton below the Diva match is just an idiot. I would say you lost all credibility, however, you probably had none to begin with.

Its amazing how all the Orton/Cena haters are shitting all over this match. It was the most intense match you will see in wrestling now adays. The crowd was into it and the wrestlers (Orton/Cena were giving it there all)

The crowd was sitting on their hands all night until Orton and Cena came out. That should tell you something right there. If the match was crap, the crowd would have let them know. The crowd was into every near pinfall and every swing in momentum. The crowd was more into this match than any other match Cena has ever been in, including against Triple H and HBK. This is due to Orton. He controlled and carried the match throughout and gave Cena good opportunities to make his comebacks. Cena did another excellent job selling. The outcome could have been better, but overall it was a great match. One of the best in the WWE in several years.

Here is how I rank em

Finlay/Kane: 2 out of 5
Kennedy/Carlito/Umaga: 2.5 out of 5
Divas: 0 out of 5
Morrison/Punk: 3 out of 5
Rey/Chavo: 3 out of 5
HHH/Booker: 2 out of 5
Khali/Batista: 1 out of 5
Orton vs Cena: 4.5 out of 5

Overall Summerslam ranking: 3 out of 5

Cena_Buttocks

Reaction score
Cena did another excellent job selling

Indeed! People are so caught up in hating Cena that they don't realize he's good at selling. He even made Prince Khali look good a while back. It is great to see another CG soldier in the forum.

CenaMark54

Cena did another excellent job selling

Indeed! People are so caught up in hating Cena that they don't realize he's good at selling. He even made Prince Khali look good a while back. It is great to see another CG soldier in the forum.

Exactly, Cena got the best match out of Khali by far. Much better than Taker was able to do. Much better than Kane was able to do and much, much better than Batista has been able to do.

If the same match had of happened last night only Orton had pinned Cena, people would be singing a much different tune. To see people call the match aweful and give it 2 stars out of 5 is just a travesty of justice. The match was at least a four star match. People will just never give Cena credit for his inring abilities.

the dark knight

^^cena's match with khali...i can give you that. and orton's match being intense....yea it was for the fans who did not know who was going to win. cena selling...he did! not the best seller but he definitely improved.

BUT, most of the match was...headlocks by rand E :S like most of cena's matches. the opponent beats him up...cena tries to fight back..fails...headlock...5 moves of doom...oh wait! RKO then 1 move of doom. it was a change but, the match sucked. not the match i wanna see in a wrestlemania.

Reaction score
Australia... and no, I do not ride around on a Kan
Awesome PPV, really was in my opinion, the best PPV in a few years...apart from the wrestlemanias. The onl;y bad match was Batista vs Khali.

Finaly vs Kane was a great match to kick off the PPV, the divas Batlle Ryal and the CM Punk vs John Morrison match were decent, the promos were funny especially the cryme tyme one, Mysterio vs Chavo was awesome. Seeing Triple H come back was great, Raw need him, HHH vs Booker was a good match...Batista vs Khali was the worst match, just terible. John Cena vs Randy Orton was good, could have been better.

Overall, great PPV...8.5/10

HHH looks terrible skinny also what was with the massively botched ending with Morrison/Punk? No finisher attempts ruined the match.

I wouldn't say he looks terribly skinny, even though he looked like he lost some weight, he wasn't skinny.

Reaction score
I only watched the return of HHH and the ME. The return was amazing first the entrance just told the story and the match was good. The pedigree didn't look its best.

The Main Event was just lots of chinlocks, sleeper holds and other stuff. The STFU looked Shit when Orton was shaking his head so Cena had to tighten it. The Rko then hit then Cena hitting the F-U it wouldn't knock Orton straight out would it. It still had its good points.

ME ***1/2
HHH/BOOKA ****1/4

vickymania

Reaction score
**Vickymania's Summerslam Review**

KANE defeated FINLAY: Kane is a man on a mission controlling the first couple of minutes of this bout that was an interesting choice as opener. But even on offense, he shows discomfort to his previously injured ribs, a fact not lost on Finlay when he does finally gain control. Smash-Mouth is the name of the game no matter who is on top, and we also get our usual dose of Hornswoggle shenanigans. After such a moment, Finlay gets in a shillelagh shot, but Kane kicks out at 2.5 & hits his choke-slam for the victory soon after at the 9 minute mark. Nothing too memorable but very solidly booked & performed. In fact, I really liked a few of the subtle touches included here & both men came out looking good.

UMAGA defeated CARLITO & KEN KENNEDY in a Triple-Threat Match to Retain the InterContinetal Title: Both heels attempt to negotiate themselves into the Samoan champ's good books, but Umaga puts both men down on the mat in declining their offers. The heels then team up & clear the ring of the champ allowing some heel vs heel action to occur in the ring for a couple of minutes. The action is rather pacy & solid, but as is usually the case when 2 heels go at it, the crowd become silent. Once Umaga returns to action, he rather easily handles a double-team & it really isn all that much later that the champ hits the Samoan Spike on Kennedy for the victory at just the 7 minute mark. That duration was way too short for this to amount to anything special. But even as a short bout, it wasn too exciting & fast-paced. Furthermore, there was no real cleverness in the booking, so considering the talent involved, this was disappointing, if not awful.

REY MYSTERIO defeated CHAVO GUERRERO: Emerging in all-silver (pants, mask & body paint), Rey looks focused & intense upon return as the crowd gets a loud havo Sucks?chant going. The 2 put together a great sequence of entertaining counters to begin with?The kind they could probably perform blind-folded when together in the ring. Chavo predictably targets the knee, but Rey fights off the initial onslaught to land some of his trademark high-flying moves. But soon, it Chavo going to work with various submission holds that are sufficiently different to remain entertaining enough. When given a glimpse of an opportunity, Rey fails to land the 619 due to the bad knee, but then shows good ruthlessness when the heel is tied in the tree of woe.

The action is entertainingly back & forth from that point on with Rey getting a 2 count with a wicked tornado DDT & then having to kick out of the Gory Bomb! After some failed further attempts, Rey does eventually hit the 619 for the win at the 12 minute mark. Solid & entertaining, everything was well put together & performed here. The time just seemed to fly by, which is practically always a good sign. Of course, these 2 can do even better given a few more minutes, but something tells me they will be given the opportunity soon enough. One thing that is for certain is that it great to have Rey back!

BETH PHOENIX Won a Divas Battle Royal to become the #1 Contender for the Women Title: Woman Champ Candice Michelle sits at ringside as it is Brooke who is eliminated first. The action is all over the place in usual battle-royal fashion with nothing special occurring in the first 4 minutes apart from JR & The King clearly getting confused as to who is who! The final 4 ends up being Melina, Torrie, Beth & Michelle, as the 2 faces messily team up to eliminate Melina. They attempt to do the same to Beth, but it to no avail as the Raw heel takes disappointingly very little time in clearing the ring of both faces at the 7 minute mark. Very ho-hum battle royal where nothing of any significance occurred & no-one was really put over. Not very entertaining or exciting, this was poorly booked & I can pass it.

MVP / MATT HARDY / TONE COLD?STEVE AUSTIN Segment: 10 minutes in length, this qualifies to be included in the overall PPV Rating. MVP oddly chooses a beer-drinking contest to battle Matt Hardy in, but the crowd quickly see what coming as it is Matt turn to pick a substitute. After some decent mic work by both men, tone Cold?Steve Austin is indeed introduced & pops the crowd big time by just appearing, let alone the subsequent warm-up routine. Of course the Stone Cold Stunner is then hit on MVP & the live crowd continues to go bonkers with ecstasy. A pleasant & effective surprise.

JOHN MORRISON defeated CM PUNK to retain the ECW World Title: Punk shows good intensity to begin the bout as the 2 trade moves on the mat. Morrison then gains control with an interesting neck-breaker variation on to the apron, but doesn really impress with his subsequent offense. Punk finally works his way back into the match & gets near-falls with an enziguri & power-slam. Unfortunately, as has been seen before in matches between these 2, the crowd remains rather silent?Until Punk gets a 2 count with a top-rope moonsault & then crotches Morrison leading to a clothesline & a rough landing for the champ. But when the challenger heads back to the top-rope & attempts a hurracanrana, Morrison blocks it & then gets the cheap rope-assisted pinfall at just the 7 minute mark. In isolation this wasn at all bad, but considering that this was the 3rd ppv match in a row that these 2 have had, this was fairly disappointing. At this point, I don know whether to blame the bookers or start believing that when against each other, these 2 are simply not up to it at the moment.

TRIPLE H defeated KING BOOKER: The ? Million Dollar Man?vignette precedes the always crowd-popping he Game?entrance theme, as Triple H soaks in the crowd response for literally minutes on end. When the bout finally begins, Booker attempt at a false start fails as H clears the ring. Standard back & forth action follows, until Sharmell interjects, allowing Booker to target the knee. But HHH does the same, even going so far as to get the oooo?pop by applying the figure 4 leglock. Triple H then gets the better of some ringside action, but it is the heel who acquits himself better in the ring as he even hits the bookend. This only scores a 2 count though & it obviously calls for desperate measures as Booker heads to the top-rope & misses a favorite finisher of mine, the Harlem Hangover (top-rope somersault legdrop). This opens the door for H to hit his pedigree for the victory at the 8 minute mark. Pretty much what we were expecting, this was fairly standard but had a good vibe about it. It was good to see Booker pull out a couple of moves that we haven seen in a while though & while the action wasn scintillating, it was rather involving.

BATISTA defeated THE GREAT KHALI by Disqualification in a Match for the World HeavyWeight Title: Strangely enough, it is Khali that shows intensity & aggression at the beginning of the bout. It pays off for him too as the champ pretty much dominates the opening 5 minutes. While the first 3 of those minutes is rather standard offense, it isn actually terrible. But it all downhill from there as Khali then uses a resthold that targets the neck, which is illogical to me as he may as well just go straight ahead & apply the claw. It even earns a oring?chant from the crowd, but the audience begins to come to life as Batista hits a spine-buster & then attempts to put together some offense. Khali hits his choke-bomb, but the challenger kicks out at 2, leading to the giant Indian taking the shortcut of a chair-shot & getting disqualified at the 7 minute mark. Batista gets in a spear & some chair-shots in the aftermath. Started ok, but was pretty darn bad after that with too long of a resthold, too short of a face comeback & a cheap and unimaginative finish. I can pass it.

JOHN CENA defeated RANDY ORTON to Retain the WWE Championship: The usual mixed reaction that greets Cena on the east coast of the U.S is once more here as Orton icy stare meets Cena intensity at the beginning of the match. Duelling headlocks result in dueling chants as both men effectively make the basic hold look deadly! The heel challenger then goes to work with a variety of strikes as the champ head is clearly the target. Back to the headlock Randy goes as he looks to make Cena pass out. The Orton Stomp then follows & a powerslam gets a 2 count before we head back to headlock city?Twice! The usual Cena offensive flurry follows, but Orton counters an F-U attempt & then gets a near-fall with a rope-assisted DDT.

Randy continues to be in control at ringside, but Cena gets the better of a top-rope battle that ends in him hitting his top-rope fameasser. But he can follow up with an F-U as the heel challenger sets his sights on his now trademark punt to the head. Cena manages to avoid the kick & locks in an STF-U, which Orton breaks by getting to the ropes & popping the corwd. An RKO out of nowhere follows, but by the time Orton makes the cover, Cena kicks out at 2.9! It is then time for the F-U to be hit out of nowhere for the pinfall at the 21 minute mark. Very good main-event that could have been even better. Orton played his character well here & pretty much took the lead role as Cena was booked to play off of him. In fact, the bout may have even been a little too one-sided! I liked the way that the headlock was used initially, but it probably ended up being too prevalent in a 21 minute bout. And that finish was just way too swift with Cena hitting the F-U way too soon after being RKO. Still very good & in a way it is heartening that these 2 can improve as their feud is sure to continue

It was one of the best PPv's i've watched all this year and i was happy with the matches scheduled as well as the results..i do hope you like my review..hope to continue doing reviews of future PPV's as well..thanx.