Official Smackdown! discussion thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

kr3w

Reaction score
did you guys see the fighting styles trailer?i was to lazy to go threw everypage on this thread to check

imported_zero

i did see it and i tihnk it makes the game look more improved liek the highflyer is great and the pwerhouse is the bomb i hope they stick with that because i make CAWS and i have cruiserwieths adn highflyers and they suck to the max and i liek hwo there are more places for moves to be utilized

kr3w

Reaction score
yea im so stoked on finally having spring board moves in it

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
Well heres what I want the roster to look like.............

Raw
1.)John Cena
2.)Triple H
3.)Shawn Michaels
4.)Edge
5.)Randy Orton
6.)Umaga
7.)Jeff Hardy
8.)Johnny Nitro
9.)The Great Khali
10.)Ric Flair
11.)Carlito
12.)Chris Masters
13.)JTG
14.)Shad
15.)Shelton Benjamin
16.)Charlie Haas
17.)Kenny Dykstra
18.)Super Crazy
19.)Trevor Murdoch
20.)Lance Cade

Smackdown
1.)The Undertaker
2.)Batista
3.)Booker T
4.)Rey Mysterio
5.)Chris Benoit
6.)Kane
7.)Mr.Kennedy
8.)Montel Vontavious Porter
9.)Matt Hardy
10.)Chavo Guerrero
11.)Gregory Helms
12.)Mark Henry(I really don't think he's gonna be in the game which is totally heart breaking :( .....)
13.)Brian Kendrick
14.)Paul London
15.)The Miz (sadly I think he's gonna make the game which once again is heart breaking :( .............)
16.)Finlay
17.)JBL
18.)Jimmy Wang Yang

ECW
1.)Bobby Lashley
2.)Rob Van Dam
3.)CM Punk
4.)Sabu
5.)The Sandman
6.)Elijah Burke
7.)Monty Brown
8.)Tommy Dreamer
9.)Kevin Thorn
10.)Matt Striker

Divas
1.)Melina
2.)Mickie James
3.)Torrie Wilson
4.)Ashley
5.)Victoria,Maria,Kelly Kelly,Candice Michelle,Jillian Hall,Kristal,Michelle McCool,Ariel,Layla El,and Brook could have a diva's battle royal where the winner gets the last spot.

Legends
1.)Stone Cold Steve Austin
2.)The Rock
3.)Hulk Hogan
4.)Randy Savage
5.)Mr.Perfect
6.)The Ultimate Warrior(not likely I know)
7.)Dusty Rhodes
8.)Vince Mcmahon( I hope he's in the game)
9.)Shane Mcmahon
10.)Afa(one half of The Wild Samoans)
11.)Sika(one half of The Wild Samoans)

Total Number of Superstars:64,Smackdown vs Raw 2007 had 66(I think)

Tom_RIP

Reaction score
That would be a good roster. And also include, if they will do it, the one-character-a month update.

Tom_RIP

Reaction score
What did you make of the SD Vs RAW 08 trailers?

What did you think about the new SD Vs RAW 08. I thought the new trailers where amazing. also, does anyone know the release date of the game.

the dark knight

its gonna be in november . but they havnt announced the precise date yet .

The Mojo

Reaction score
prob. around Thanksgiving time b/c of "Black Friday" when everyone goes out for Christmas Shopping.

I think the game looks GREAT, THQ keeps updating graphics and everything

Tom_RIP

Reaction score
do you know any other features of the game The Mojo. seeing the trailers and screenshots made me want to find out more of the game

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
Here's a preview from http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/previews/preview.pl?sys=xbox360&game=svr08 .................

It's that time of year again. Spring is heading around the corner, the flora and fauna are slowly creeping back into reality, and sweaty man-grappling has just hit a fever pitch with the quasi-season finale in Wrestlemania. WWE and THQ ride this hype wave with their annual Wrestlemania Weekend event which debuts the newest chapter of the WWE video game saga.

Naturally, this year's edition will be named Smackdown vs. Raw 2008. A splashy subtitle, noting an ECW Invasion is apparently not part of the title, but just to indicate that ECW is going to make a major impact in the gameplay. Not only that, but the game will also expand beyond the Playstation and Xbox brands to hit both Nintendo consoles.

THQ, on a conceptual level, seems to be taking great strides towards improving SvR on all levels. Focus testing, data mining, and other varied marketing research techniques were instituted to try to figure out what the majority of players were experiencing in the game. Whether it be which modes and characters are most popular or how big the (admittedly smaller than expected) online community was, it gave THQ a good idea of where to start.

Improvements this time around, outside of the feature set, seem to be centered around stifling the critical and fan complaints. Animations are being retooled and improved, with a strong emphasis on removing the sliding-feet phenomenon. As well, Yukes has been tasked with removing downtime in the game. You know how sometimes in fighting games a move starts and you can't have input in what goes on on the screen? That's not happening here, because at every point in a match you will have the ability to control your character.

Gameplay-wise, SvR 08 looks to be a radical departure from the prior games. While the standard now is to put down weight classes and lack any deviation from such, the new plan is a grouping of eight fighting styles. “How will you play?” is the question that's going to be pushed, with each Superstar having one primary and one secondary skill.

Hardcore, high-flyer, brawler, showman, dirty, technical, submission, powerhouse... Every skill has its advantages and disadvantages, and quite a few exclusive moves. Say, for example, you were playing as Randy Orton. He's a dirty player, so he can utilize a move called the “ref shield.” He hides behind a ref, giving him invincibility. Orton can then push the ref into you and segue into stomping your face. Alternately, a character like Kane who has a powerhouse stat, can throw you into the environment for higher damage. As such, matches may require specific wrestlers to finish them more easily.

Of course, this is also a point on which I wonder how it will affect the core theme of the series in the ease of pick-up-and-play gameplay. While SvR 07 isn't the most accessible game, a good 15-30 minutes will make anyone at least a contender. Of course, if you select not to learn it, like an unnamed wrestler from this year's Superstar Challenge, you can expect to lose in a matter of a minute or two against a player with any experience. It is as such that the game needs to stay accessible, giving it a sort of party game target. Hopefully the concepts don't clash, but we shall see.

This year's version also will not center around just getting the championship. While that's cool and all, the new goal is to go from WWE Superstar to Legend to Hall of Famer. In the new WWE 24/7 career mode that combines GM and Season modes, the task is clear—be remembered. For some, like the Undertaker, such a progression would be rather quick as he's already straddling Legend status. With someone newer, or a CAW, you'll have a much longer journey filled with daily activities such as training.

Naturally, the Wii and DS versions will be a little bit different than the others. SvR 08 for the Wii, as was posted yesterday, utilizes a more arcadey style and waggle wand entertainment. Act the move out, and the gesture will translate to the screen—pretty funny to watch, if nothing else. The DS version, which was only shown in a screenshot mockup, makes extensive use of the touchscreen. Gestures by way of the stylus will translate into moves by the approximately 20 characters (versus the consoles' ~50 character set) in a visual style that looks akin to No Mercy.

Quoth Superstar Challenge runner-up Carlito when asked by an interview about whether or not fans should consider getting into wrestling, “Don't do it. Stick to watching it, playing games. Just don't do it.”

I'd say that's as good an endorsement as any

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

here's the link to the two videos out

http://media.www.gamestats.com/media/844/844743/vids_1.html

One is a video interview and the other is game footage.

kr3w

Reaction score
im lovin the fighting styles thing for 08 really gives each type of charcter there own type of things and hopefully its restricted by weightclasses to an extent now not being able to have superheavy weights with the high flyer fighting style....and plus the "24/7" mode sounds pretty cool

King_Ash

Reaction score
Yes, looking forward to 08 and cannot wait till the release. The graphics look just amazing and like kr3w said the 24/7 mode is going to be good.

This Guy

Don't start new threads for the game, there is an official discussion thread stickied, all Smackdown vs. Raw 08 stuff should be discussed there, including the trailers.

Thead Merged