Official ROH Newswire/Videowire thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Soulpower

July 14th: We are less than two weeks away from ROH's huge debut in Toronto and pay-per-view taping in Detroit. You can save 30% on tickets to both events until Friday morning at ROHwrestling.com. Another unbelievable match has been signed for Toronto. It will be Erick Stevens vs. Go Shiozaki!!! You got a taste of what this one will be like at "A New Level" and now they will collide one-on-one on 7/25 in Toronto.

July 14th: This week is a very special week at www.ROHwrestling.com because everything on the site is 30% off with no minimum order. This is a great chance to catch up with ROH in 2008. If you want just the very best from this year check out this article where the fans voted on Best Overall Match, Best Singles Match, Best Tag Team Match and Best Show On DVD for the first half 2008. Click here to read the article: http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/article.aspx?id=2165

July 14th: You can now watch for FREE the Davey Richards vs. Dingo match from the "Take No Prisoners" taping. Check it out at www.ROHvideos.com as well as the latest ROH Video Wire with a wild ending.

July 14th: In case you haven't guessed it, you can now save 30% on EVERYTHING at ROHwrestling.com with no minimum order including all the latest ROH DVDs. This includes tickets to every upcoming ROH live event plus the latest from WWE, FIP, SHIMMER, TNA, NOAH and many other promotions. You know, ROH has had a pretty damn great streak of shows lately. Here are some of the latest ROH DVDs for 30% off at ROHwrestling.com until Friday morning:
-ROH "A New Level" (Hammerstein Ballroom debut with Jay Briscoe & Austin Aries vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black)
-ROH "Southern Navigation" (Bryan Danielson vs. Tyler Black rematch, No Remorse Corps vs. Team NOAH)
-ROH "Return Engagement" (Briscoes vs. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin, El Generico vs. Kota Ibushi)
-ROH "Tag Wars 2008" (Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin, Briscoes vs. Austin Aries & Kota Ibushi)
-ROH "Take No Prisoners" (entire PPV with Nigel McGuinness vs. Tyler Black match of the year candidate)
-ROH "Best In The World" (latest retail release with Samoa Joe vs. Kenta Kobashi with commentary for the first time)
-ROH "Greatest Rivalries" (new retail release with all the stars past and present of ROH)

July 14th: Jigsaw is off the 7/25 & 26 shows with a rib injury. He will return to action on 8/1 & 8/2.

July 14th: Remember, August 1st is the date of the PPV premiere of "Respect Is Earned II" on iN DEMAND, The DISH Network and TVN cable systems. That's AUGUST 1ST, AUGUST 1ST, AUGUST 1ST for ROH's next PPV!!!

July 14th: It is sure to be a special night when ROH tapes PPV on 7/26 in Detroit. There is nothing like witnessing ROH pay-per-view live and seeing it months before everyone else. Due to the nature of PPV, ROH might not announce anymore matches in advance for the 7/26 card. However, you can rest assured this will be a memorable night with great matches from top to bottom. Afterall, this is ROH on PPV and ROH will deliver. You can now experience this event for yourself and save 30% on all tickets at ROHwrestling.com. Here is the current lineup with several new names added:

Michigan State Fairgrounds & Expo Center "Michigan Mart"
Pay-Per View Taping
July 26th, 2008- 7:30pm belltime
1120 W. State Fair Ave.
Detroit, MI 48203

Save 30% on all tickets with no minimum order at www.ROHwrestling.com until July 18th at 9am.

ROH World Title Match
Nigel McGuinness/Kevin Steen 7/25 winner defends vs. Claudio Castagnoli

Special Challenge Match
Bryan Danielson vs. ROH World Tag Team Champion Tyler Black

Tag Team Grudge Match
Chris Hero & Go Shiozaki with Larry Sweeney vs. Roderick Strong & Naomichi Marufuji

Plus much more with:
-Special guest Lance Storm (he will be available for autographs)
-ROH World Tag Team Champion Jimmy Jacobs & The Necro Butcher of The Age Of TheFall
-SHIMMER Champion MsChif
-Austin Aries
-Jay Briscoe
-Delirious
-Erick Stevens
-Ruckus Of The Vulture Squad
-Sara Del Rey
-Daizee Haze
-Rhett Titus
-Shane Hagadorn & Bobby Dempsey of Sweet & Sour Inc.
-Silas Young
-Kenny Omega
-Plus others!!!

Credit: ROHWrestling.com

I predict a lot of chops in the Go vs Stevens match. Call it a hunch.

Montana

This leads me to think Lance Storm may be on the card for Detroit.

They better have Jacobs vs Aries too in Det.

Go vs Stevens should be a great match too. That might steal the show, if given some time.

Soulpower

July 17th: You have less than 24 hours to save 30% on everything at www.ROHwrestling.com with no minimum order including tickets to all live events. ROH is gearing up for PPV in Detroit!!! One week from tomorrow will see ROH tape PPV #8 and this very special night will take place in Motown. The card will feature the rematch of the acclaimed main event from "A New Level" as Claudio Castagnoli gets another shot at ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness. There will be an article on the main page of ROHwrestling.com with a very interesting statement from Castagnoli tomorrow. Be there live and see the PPV weeks before everyone else. There is nothing like ROH PPV live and now it is coming to Detroit on July 25th!!!

July 17th: Kenny Omega has been earning a big buzz lately. He will get his shot in ROH when he makes his debut on 7/25 in Toronto and 7/26 in Detroit. Omega has a tough test as his very first match. Just signed for Toronto on 7/25 is Omega vs. Delirious!!! Save 30% on tickets until tomorrow morning at ROHwrestling.com.

July 17th: Lance Storm has been watching ROH DVDs lately and there is one match that blew him away that he says that you have to go out of your way to see. See what he's talking about here: http://www.stormwrestling.com/news.html

July 17th: Full Impact Pro returns to action this Saturday in Crystal River, FL (check www.FullImpactPro.com for tix & building info). Just check out this lineup: Roderick Strong vs. Erick Stevens in a Dog Collar Match for the FIP World Heavyweight Title; Jason Blade & Kenny King vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black in a 2/3 Falls Match for the FIP Tag Team Titles; Sal Rinauro vs. Joey Ryan for the FIP Florida Heritage Title; ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness vs. Go Shiozaki in a non-title match plus Mercedes Martinez makes her FIP debut and much more!!! If you live in Florida can you really pass this show up? Get your tickets at the door on the night of the show or go to FullImpactPro.com now.

July 17th: That's right, you only have until tomorrow morning to save 30% on everything at www.ROHwrestling.com with no minimum order. There won't be a sale this big for a long time at ROHwrestling.com. This is a great chance to catch up on DVDs from every promotion. Here are some of the hottest DVDs now at ROHwrestling.com for 30% off:
-ROH "A New Level" (called a great DVD for new fans by Dave Meltzer in The Wrestling Observer Newsletter)
-ROH "Return Engagement" (Briscoes vs. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin II, Kota Ibushi vs. El Generico)
-FIP "Cage Of Pain II" (Roderick Strong vs. Larry Sweeney, Dragon Gate six man with BxB Hulk, Yamato & Jack Evans vs. Delirious, Jigsaw & Hallowicked)
-SHIMMER Vol. 17 (Sara Del Rey & Allison Danger vs. MsChif & Cheerleader Melissa, Amazing Kong vs. Ariel)
-SHIMMER Vol. 18 (Sara Del Rey vs. MsChif, Sarah Stock vs. Cheerleader Melissa)
-WWE "Wrestlemania 24" (3 DVD set with entire card and hall of fame ceremony with Ric Flair)
-TNA "Lockdown 2008" (every match is inside the Steel Cage including Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle)
-"Kevin Sullivan And The End Of WCW" (an inside look at the demise of WCW)
-Act by tomorrow morning at www.ROHwrestling.com and save 30% on all these DVDs and many others!!! You won't save this big at ROHwrestling.com for a long, long time.

July 17th: This is turning into a big newswire. We have another match to announce for the 8/16 return to Chicago. The Age Of The Fall keeps putting obstacles up to keep Kevin Steen & El Generico from earning a ROH World Tag Team Title Match. Last time in Chicago, Necro Butcher & Tyler Black put the block on Steen & Generico. August 16th will see a rematch of sorts as El Generico will face ROH World Tag Team Champion Tyler Black in singles competition. Could this be the victory that finally leads to a title shot for Generico & Steen?

July 17th: We aren't done announcing new matches for upcoming shows. ROH will make its long awaited return to Cleveland on 8/15. A Tag Team Grudge Match has been signed as Roderick Strong & Brent Albright join forces to take on Go Shiozaki & Chris Hero of Sweet & Sour Inc. with Larry Sweeney!!! See ROH's return to Cleveland for 30% off if you act by Friday morning at ROHwrestling.com.

July 17th: The Age Of The Fall has used their leverage as ROH World Tag Team Champions to inform you that AgeOfTheFall.com has released a new Jimmy Jacobs promo. Who is he talking about at the end? You can check it out at: http://www.rohvideos.com/watch?v=LclvDYq5DVw and soon at AgeOfTheFall.com.

Credit: ROHWrestling.com

Montana

Claudio Castagnoli has heard it time and time again. He has the size, strength, agility and charisma of a World Champion. However, despite opportunities he has yet to realize that potential. Now he will have one more shot on the biggest platform possible. He will challenge either Nigel McGuinness or Kevin Steen (depending on who wins 7/25 in Toronto) on July 26th in Detroit for the ROH World Title. It will be the main event of Ring Of Honor's 8th pay-per-view.

There aren't many matches bigger than the main event of ROH PPV. There is nothing grander than a ROH World Title Match. Now Castagnoli will have a chance to put all his tools together for what can be considered the greatest victory possible in ROH. Winning the World Title in a pay-per-view main event is the pinnacle.

"I have to win," Castagnoli said. "I've had my ups and downs here in Ring Of Honor. I've been here for three years now and have climbed from the opening match to main eventing ROH's debut in the Hammerstein Ballroom in front of the biggest crowd in ROH history. If I don't win the World Title in Detroit I don't think there is anything left for me here. I don't see my purpose in ROH anymore and it might be time to walk away."

Castagnoli currently has other options in the professional wrestling world. NOAH and TNA have both inquired about his services in recent months. He has a full booking sheet working internationally and on the independents. Claudio is not in danger of being out of work if his ROH career were to end after Detroit.

When you look at "Double C's" ROH stint you see one marked with many successes, but also marred with some disappointments. He is the only man on earth that can say he has pinned four of the best wrestlers in the world, Bryan Danielson, Naomichi Marufuji, Austin Aries and ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness, in the last eight months. He is a former ROH World Tag Team Champion and is half of the duo that ended Austin Aries & Roderick Strong's record breaking reign. He has the best singles record of anyone on the ROH roster on pay-per-view. He has been involved in some of ROH's biggest, most memorable and historic bouts.

However, there are some asterisks in Claudio's ROH record. He has failed to win the World Title despite coming within a second of the belt against both current World Champion Nigel McGuinness and Former Champion Takeshi Morishima. He was unable to defeat McGuinness in a feud for the Pure Title in 2005. He never gained definitive revenge on Larry Sweeney after an over one year feud.

"That's why I booted Claudio to the curb when I signed his so called friend Chris Hero," Sweeney said. "He doesn't have the make up to get over that hump and I knew it. He will never win the big one."

"Someone like Claudio Castagnoli just has to realize his place on the card," McGuinness said. "He is fine as the "hey" guy. He is like a clown to the fans. He makes them laugh and they like to say "hey" and play along with him. He isn't World Champion material. I have to admit he was tougher than I thought in the Hammerstein Ballroom, but it takes that something a little extra and Claudio has never proven that he has it to me."

Castagnoli has heard people whisper what Sweeney and McGuinness said behind his back. It only drives him to work harder to prove them wrong. It particularly got to Castagnoli when Nigel said that he hasn't proved his worth to him.

"Don't forget that I'm the last man to pin Nigel McGuinness." Castagnoli said. "The Ricola Bomb has pinned him before and after I hit it at "A New Level" I was a split second away from pinning you again. I don't think you can survive that move, Nigel. I have a lot of other weapons in my arsenal too. You will find out on July 26th in Detroit. Kevin Steen, if it's you then I am afraid to tell you that you will have the shortest title reign in ROH history. My entire career has built up to that moment on pay-per-view. I have to win the World Title in Detroit because otherwise I don't believe I belong in ROH. It is the World Title or nothing for me now. I have to win it."

Tickets for the July 26th pay-per-view taping in Detroit, MI are on sale for only $10 now at ROHwrestling.com.

So its win or go home? Does this change anyone's opinion?

Not for me, i think it may be bye bye claudio cast tag noli.

Montana

not that i know of. it does seem out of no where. I think because the match was supposed to be the biggest matchup ROH had, and after their first match, everyone seemed to stop caring for Claudio and no one really thinks he's going to win it.

I think he may just take some time off or explore his other options.

Montana

Ring of Honor is always trying to please the fans, and this is no exception.

Soon, in addition to fan favorites (we know some of you are HUGE into Chris Hero) ROH will be turning up the dial to 11 with some major roster changes!

First off, some recent graduates of the ROH Wrestling School will be showing up soon. Keep an eye out at ROH preshows for new faces and potentially new stars!

Next up, the roster will be getting a serious boost of full-time talent. Check out ROH Media and ROH Wrestling for more info on this soon.

Last but not least, watch out for more of Kota Ibushi in ROH. ROH is currently working to book Kota Ibushi for more upcoming ROH shows!

======================================================

Excellent timing in my opinion. As i mentioned on the ROH board, about 8 regular full time ROH guys are out at the moment. ( Jack Evans, Mark Briscoe, Adam Pearce, Brent Albright, Jigsaw, El generico, Davey Richards, and Rocky Romero )

Now with rumors of Claudio and Danielson exiting ROH, they must look to find the right peices. Heres who i think they may be referring to. Assuming full time means no international wrestlers...

- Raven

- Eddie Kingston

- Kenny Omega (even though he's already signed to appear)

- Human Tornado

- BLK OUT

- Team Fist

- Chuck Taylor (it may be a longshot, but ROH could be desperate for young guys)

- Quackenbush

- Trevor Murdoch

I think they are going to be prepared for when a lot of contracts expire in early 09. I can't see them adding everyone, but i wouldnt be too surprised if we see a few new faces in Detroit/Toronto weekend Who else would you like to see them add?

Soulpower

As long as ROH gets any combination of Quackenbush, Kingston or Chuckie T, they'll be fine.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
this sounds like a nice little hype announcement for ROH. I'm dying to see more Ibushi in ROH, I think he's absolutely amazing. But for the newer guys, I really would hate to see Kingston in ROH just because I hate him. But some of the guys I want to see in ROH are...

-Vin Gerard
-Kenny Omega (full time)
-Chuck Taylor
-PWG Peoples
-Azreal
-Milano Collection AT (JAPW brought him in, why not ROH copy their idea?)
-Dan Maff (Longshot)

and I'm hoping smaller indies don't completely fall apart if this happens.

Montana

My 2 cents on the guys. (ok, i got some time on my hands)

Of the guys i mentioned I'd he happy to see a couple. I think a vetern like Raven always helps. With the latest AOTF storyline, that looks likely. I do think Tornado would be a solid addition for comedy, when he is 100%. I'd like to see Team Fist, bc imo, ROH is starting to get low on tag teams.

If i could have a few selections, it would probably be those guys to fill the gaps.

Eddie Kingston would be fine with me. Although i wouldn't put him atop of the list of Must have guys in ROH. I'd like to see what kingston in ROH could do. He could bust, or he could be a updated verison of Homicide.

Kenny Omega is a good young pick up. It sounds like he's already in.

BLK OUT - i could live out. Certainly not a big fan of a full time spot. A short term fued could be interesting.

Chuck Taylor - as mentioned, its a bit of a longshort. Same thing as Kenny Omega, good young talent, although idk how well he will adopt to ROH. Go Shoizaki could chop his head off...

Quack - Im all for Quack. He would be a great great full time, and could be a replacement for Danielson. (I'd love to see Quack as a super heel too) He would probably be atop of my F.A. list however i question his full time status.

Murdoch - Never say Never, He's worth a shot. If nothing else, just a little internet buzz.

Vin Gerard - I really havent watched him, although i see he's making good strides in the indys. I'll take H4H word, and he would be a solid pick up.

azreal - Ehhh

Milano Collection AT - would be a great pick up, but i think he would only be on a limited schedule. So ROH does need these type of guys for special appearances, it doesnt fill the full time gap.

Dan Maff - I havent seen him in a while, but i'd him back in the day. If he still has it, im all for a whitmer/maff reunion.

Tim Donst - Why not bring in another young talent.

Hallowicked - i could see him being brought in.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I really think its funny how many people have become Kenny Omega fans since he was announced for ROH. No one even knew who he was when he won the JAPW Title from Low Ki, and now that he's been announced for ROH, everyone's jumped on his cock.

It might be me, but there really isn't an legit, up and coming non-ROH indy guys outside of Taylor-Kingston-Omega. It isn't like a couple of years ago when there was tons of younger guys coming in the indy scene.

Montana

I think Joey Ryan will probably be brought in too. He wrestled in FIP last night.

To be fair, Omega was in DSW for a while and indy fans don't really follow wwe devolopment much. Only in the past 9 months or so he's branched off in some more well known indys. I actually noticed him in PSW. I dont think a lot of people are dick riding him either. I've been excited about his debut, but i dont see much hype from others.

I guess there isn't a huge crop of talent at the moment, but i think its a pretty solid group. I'd like to think most of those guys would step up their game in ROH, and work on getting better. (not saying their bad)

Soulpower

I do agree with HfH about people jumping on the Kenny Omega "bandwagon". To be honest, stuff like that happens all the time. Hell, there was a time where everyone was on the Davey Richards bandwagon and they were pegging him as the future of Indy wrestling.

I do have to disagree with Montana's addition of Tim Donst. I like the kid, and I think he could be very good, but he's simply not at that level yet. Granted, wrestling the likes of Danielson could help him improve a LOT, but I still think he's better served staying in CHIKARA for a while longer before branching out to other promotions.

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
It looks like CHIKARA is the best place for ROH to look for talent with JAPW and IWA-MS short on talent. And I'm hoping that ROH finally brings in Cheech & Cloudy, I think they deserve the spot on the roster. I wouldn't mind the Young Bucks either. I really can't see that many PWG guys coming in either, as much as I want to see them in there, it probably would be costly.

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing the Canadian debut of Ring of Honor and the ROH debut of Kenny Omega live in Toronto,..... Ontario, Canada