Official NHL Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Sidney Crosby is the most overrated player in the history of the league

That concludes my thoughts on this year's Stanley Cup Final

MikeRaw

^LOL.
I hate him too, but that doesn't make me pretend he sucks. Other than Ovechkin, he's the best player in the league. I still hate his fucking guts though.

chessarmy

^ He doesn't deliver when it counts. He only had 1 goal in the Stanley Cup finals. I'm not saying he sucks, I'm just saying he isn't as good as everyone thinks. "OMG, he's da yungest evar 2 win da stanley", so? That doesn't make him good, he has good teammates around him. Everyone acts like he's god, he's clearly not.

Parise > Crosby, yes they're different players, but Parise at least scores on a more consistent basis

MikeRaw

No one thinks that though. Everyone I've heard always says he's overrated, a crybaby, and sucks. I agree he's a crybaby, hence why I hate his guys, but he certainly doesn't suck, and he certainly isn't overrated. If anything, he's underrated nowadays. Also, how do you know Parise wouldn't have done the same in the Stanley Cup Final? He's never been out of the second round as a devil yet, and part of the reason is his performance, or lack thereof.

chessarmy

^ I evaluated my Parise vs Crosby argument based on the regular season, since Zach hasn't been far in the playoffs yet

and I'm not talking about the fans. Every time I watch NHL on Versus or NHL on NBC, all I hear is "OMG Crosby is in the final! Will Crosby win the cup? Crosby is the second coming of jesus!" I'm sick of it. He didn't live up to the hype

MikeRaw

^ I evaluated my Parise vs Crosby argument based on the regular season, since Zach hasn't been far in the playoffs yet

That's stupid for two reasons
-That shows he hasn't carried his team into the playoffs. That's like one guy scores 50 out of 100 on the test, and the next guy scored 80 out of 100, and the first guy says "Those other 30 points dont count, cause I'm not smart enough to know the answer to those yet".
-Parise has 253 points in 326 career NHL games. Crosby has 390 points in 297 regular season games
and I'm not talking about the fans. Every time I watch NHL on Versus or NHL on NBC, all I hear is "OMG Crosby is in the final! Will Crosby win the cup? Crosby is the second coming of jesus!" I'm sick of it. He didn't live up to the hype

That's called trying to grow the game. You can't have the face of the NHL in Game 7, and go "this guy isn't worth all the hype. He's not that good".

Reaction score
With all this talk of being overrated, I'll say that Malkin is the most underrated player in the NHL. I know that might sound crazy because he does get talked about enough and there are plenty of good players in the league that get nearly no hype at all. I'm saying he's the most underrated player though because of the hype Crosby and Ovechkin get. Malkin won the rookie of the year in his first season, finished second last year in points during the regular season, and this year he had the league in points during both the regular season and postseason, and he just won the Conn Smythe trophy. He's done just about everything he can in his 3 years to prove that he is just as good as Crosby and Ovechkin, and this year you can make a real strong argument that he was the very best player in the league. But Crosby is the North American player that they have decided to pick as the next great player and want to grow the game around, and Ovechkin scores a bunch of highlight reel goals and has the big personality off the ice. Malkin on the other hand is more of a set up man scoring less goals and is softer spoken off the ice, so he's gets about half as much attention. I remember the hype for the Pens/Caps series, it was all Crosby/Overchkin with Malkin as an afterthought. Right now I believe he is the best player in the NHL, but since he continues to take a backseat to Crosby and Ovechkin, I believe he is the most underrated player in the NHL.

MikeRaw

^That I can agree with. I may take some heat, and I can't believe I'm saying it myself, but Malkin may actually be the best player in the NHL. He is very underrated, because of the other two. But he has great sniping ability, just like Ovechkin, and great playmaking, like Crosby. This year, he was probably the best.

xtremebadass

The reason the league boasts about Crosby 24/7 is because he is the leader of the league. He is the poster boy, he draws the crowds and the ratings. Why wouldn't you want to give your top star the most attention? My thoughts is that Sidney Crosby is the John Cena of the NHL. Sure alot of people think he sucks, sure he might not meet expectations all the time, but nobody is on the stick everyday of their lives, but he really is dedicated to his sport and really deserved it. For being 21 years old and being that good at the sport, how could he not deserve it.

I am not saying he won it on his own, the rest of the team is just as incredible. Now more than ever, Orpik, Scuderi, Sykora, Gonchar, and Talbot, have all done phenomenal jobs really stepping up from their normal season into playoff and final mode. They are the best team out there.

MikeRaw

Now that we've established Crosby is good, back to me hating the shit out of the Pens...

Wordlife

^why? Are you just THAT pissed on how the lame ass old beatdown Red Wings lost? I have to be one of the happiest men alive right now... The fucking Penguins finally won, and my inspiration is finally a Stanley Cup Champion! Good day for NHL Hockey!

niggles

Reaction score
Malkin > Crosby

I feel bad for Hossa. He didn't play great in the finals but it's gotta suck to lose 2 finals in a row. Same with Conklin, except he's lost 3 of the past 4 finals lulz.

MikeRaw

^why? Are you just THAT pissed on how the lame ass old beatdown Red Wings lost? I have to be one of the happiest men alive right now... The fucking Penguins finally won, and my inspiration is finally a Stanley Cup Champion! Good day for NHL Hockey!

Lol, what? I dislike the Redwings just as much.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Good to see Kunitz with two stanley cup rings. Red Wings couldn't play desperate after such a long tired season. They're going to take that hard coming into the season.

Can't wait till the draft. Wonder if the Pronger for Jonhson + 1st roung (5th overall) will happen

MikeRaw

Can't wait till the draft. Wonder if the Pronger for Jonhson + 1st roung (5th overall) will happen
It won't. The Kings aren't that fucking dumb. Plus, it's already been proven false.