Official NHL Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wordlife

OMFG ITS HILARIOUS!!! I went and saw Disturbed/Killswitch Engage/Chimaira/Lacuna Coil here in Chicago (in which they also filmed this show tonight for the Music As A Weapon IV DVD TOO!!!!)... one helluva concert, probably one of the best concerts I've ever witnessed live!

On NHL notes, lol, during the concert, we all started HUGEEEEE DETROIT SUCKS chants during Disturbed after they finished a song or so... and Dave Draiman (the lead singer) was doing funny jokes bout how Detroit sucks and whatnot and how we (Chicago Blackhawks) made it this far cause we are so talented and how the series will be awesome! Great night!

GO HAWKS!

Soulpower

Another win for the Detroit Red Wings. Where you at now, Blackhawks fans?

Wordlife

yeah we played like fucking shit today... bad fucking defense! I was pissed off all game

MikeRaw

Pittsburgh advanced last night. Looks like we're going to see a rematch of last year, cause the Wings can eliminate Chicago tonight.
If that's the case, I don't want either team to win the cup, but I'd rather Detroit.

In other news, Edmonton hired a new coach yesterday... Pat fucking Quinn! I love that guy. Too bad he coaches the oilers now :n:

niggles

Reaction score
REMATCH!

I'll say Wings in 5 just because I want them to win it early and at home.

MikeRaw

Game 7 on Friday... I guess I'll cheer for Detroit, mainly cause I hate Pittsburgh.

niggles

Reaction score
Hossa is pissing me off, he was horrible yesterday. I'm starting to hope he isn't re-signed next season :/

Reaction score
I think it's great that there is a game 7, but I can't help but laugh at the NHL. The NHL is so dead set on growing the game in the U.S., which might not be realistic, but it's obviously what they want to do. But things have been going their way in this post season. The Stanley Cup final probably couldn't have gone any better for the NHL. You have a big market team in Detroit, going up against one of the two stars that they want to build the game around. To top it off, it goes to a game 7. That's great for the NHL. With that being said, this game is taking place on a FRIDAY? I realize that it wouldn't be good for them to have it on Thursday going up against the NBA finals, but to me Friday seems like the very worst night of the week for a sports game.

MikeRaw

I think it's great that there is a game 7, but I can't help but laugh at the NHL. The NHL is so dead set on growing the game in the U.S., which might not be realistic, but it's obviously what they want to do. But things have been going their way in this post season. The Stanley Cup final probably couldn't have gone any better for the NHL. You have a big market team in Detroit, going up against one of the two stars that they want to build the game around. To top it off, it goes to a game 7. That's great for the NHL. With that being said, this game is taking place on a FRIDAY? I realize that it wouldn't be good for them to have it on Thursday going up against the NBA finals, but to me Friday seems like the very worst night of the week for a sports game.
Actually, Saturday would be worse. Put it this way.. Anyone who wants to watch the game won't go out on the Friday. Simple, really. If it was game 37 of the regular season, sure, people would go out. But anyone with interest will end up sacrificing going out to watch their team win the cup.
Also, just while we're on it (and please, let's not make it a 4 page debate) I don't think the NHL is doing badly in the States:
Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey, Washington, Boston, Buffalo, Minnesota, Colorado, Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, Anaheim, and San Jose are some great hockey markets. Then you still have places like Carolina that aren't great, but not bad either.
Compared to where the NHL was 10 years ago, it's in a great state right now. The only awful places are Atlanta and Phoenix.

xtremebadass

Well boys and girls, that was one hell of a series and I am proud to say the better team won, aka the Pittsburgh Penguins!!! Game 7 in Detroit, what a moment. Both goals from the Penguins came from Maxime Talbot, that guy is seriously going to step up in the next couple years along with Orpik, Scuderi, and a slew of others. There is very few stars on that team that don't contribute. They are a well oiled machine. They really deserved this Stanley Cup this year, especially after last year's loss to the Wings. It's a good revenge situation. Didn't quite know how they would rebound after game 5.

Now that we are on the subject of revenge, let's get on the amusing topic of Mr. Hossa. Well now, last year, Penguins lose to the Wings in the final and Hossa becomes a free agent. He openly says, after leaving the Penguins, that he wants to go to a team that "actually wins the Stanley Cup." Fast forward one year later. Hossa is on Detroit with the Wings in the final against the Penguins once again. The Penguins beat the Red Wings this year and win the Stanley Cup. Now let's go over this...

2008: Penguins - Hossa = Hossa believes he will win the cup by going to Detroit

2009: Penguins - Hossa = Penguins winning the Stanley Cup

Well now, I would hate to be Hossa right now.

MikeRaw

Congrats to the Pens. Hate their asses with a passion, but they deserved it.