Official Football Discussion Thread 2012/13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
That is quite possibly the most Blue thing to post to use as some sort of defence. So after spending a couple hundred million on players, winning the premier league and whatever cup it was, they should be happy losing to a mediocre team like Wigan in a final because not too long that would have been somewhat of a success? Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

No like I said its perspective he hasn't suddenly become a bad manager. People make too much of the money thing it is not a sure fire thing, besides the main reason Utd won the title was RVP. Are you telling me every season that Bradford fail to get promoted from League Two then you expect the manager to get the sack? What sort of state would that leave you in?

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
If promotion was our aim and we massively under delivered and were way behind the playoff places in a way City and United are then yeah I would. If we made the playoffs like we have this season and lost (which hopefully we wont) then I would stay with the manager because we've made progress on the season before whereas Man City haven't made any progress at all, they've regressed quite substantially infact.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
If promotion was our aim and we massively under delivered and were way behind the playoff places in a way City and United are then yeah I would. If we made the playoffs like we have this season and lost (which hopefully we wont) then I would stay with the manager because we've made progress on the season before whereas Man City haven't made any progress at all, they've regressed quite substantially infact.

Yes but it is still only one bad season, and history says that the most succesful clubs are the ones who stick with their managers. Things could get much worse for City next season as a result of this needless change. If they just gave Machini the funds he needs this summer theres a decent chance the could have been champions again next season. Another reason your money argument doesn't work is because he spent lots of money and has been very successful, and its the same squad of players who have under performed this season, that kind of suggests to me that it was more down to the players than the manager.

Targaryen_Warrior

Reaction score
I am really hoping we build on the success of Wembley and at least take the fight to the final day. We have Villa at home, and I'd expect Newcastle and/or Sunderland to slip up on the final which affords breathing space with 2 wins. It's a very long shot, but who would have imagined Wigan winning the FA Cup?

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I am really hoping we build on the success of Wembley and at least take the fight to the final day. We have Villa at home, and I'd expect Newcastle and/or Sunderland to slip up on the final which affords breathing space with 2 wins. It's a very long shot, but who would have imagined Wigan winning the FA Cup?

It is a great story and in some ways it would seem worth it to the club, as who knows when they will get there again and with being such a well run club there is every chance they will get promoted again. Interesting thing is how many of the top players will you be able to hold onto because at the moment you look in a good shape to come back up, but if you lost too many it maybe a struggle. The manager will be on his way know I think.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Call me heartless but i'm not sad to see Wigan drop out of the Premier League and I wouldn't feel bad if they didn't make it back there either.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
I feel the same way. They certainly weren't the worst team in the league over the years but I just never liked them. Their small crowds, lack of stand out players for me to warm up to, the way they play music every time they score at home, there simply wasn't a whole lot to like about them.

Big win tonight anyway. Just three points on Sunday and 4th will be guaranteed.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
The unflushable turd has finally been flushed.

Interesting tidbit, if we win 2-1 on Sunday and Chelsea draw 0-0 with Everton, we will have to play an extra game against Chelsea at a neutral venue in a 3rd place playoff as everything will be equal, points and goal difference.

3rd gets a pass to Champs League group stage, 4th has to play a qualifier.

Targaryen_Warrior

Reaction score
^ Doesn't higher goals scored secure the position? I'm sure that's how the table tiebreaker works.

Gutted to suffer a loss in the fashion that we did, but hey, it was a long shot especially at the Emirates against a team with a much richer prize at stake. The injuries to key positions killed us in the end, but the pain of relegation is softened by the delight of having that FA Cup in the cabinet, something Arsenal can't say they have :)

Martinez is quite possibly gone though, which is a shame as he's quite the manager and has worked wonders with the squad available to him. 8 extra games of football to watch for us next season and the drive to return to the promised land. If Martinez stays on, we're in with a big chance. If, as expected, he leaves, then it's still a good chance (Warnock is available) and can happen.

It sucks though as the final day of the season is really now just to see if Spurs or Arsenal get 4th place. I'd love for Spurs to get it, but Arsenal will demolish the toon and prevent it happening, signalling the end of Bale at WHL.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
but the pain of relegation is softened by the delight of having that FA Cup in the cabinet, something Arsenal can't say they have :)
That's such a terrible attempt at a dig on Arsenal, I really don't understand why people persevere with using it. They do have Fa Cup and League titles, just not won them at the Emirates so that shit doesn't hold merit. You enjoy that supposed victory though as you slip out of the league and into obscurity just like Portsmouth and Birmingham before you.

":)"

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
^ Doesn't higher goals scored secure the position? I'm sure that's how the table tiebreaker works.

Gutted to suffer a loss in the fashion that we did, but hey, it was a long shot especially at the Emirates against a team with a much richer prize at stake. The injuries to key positions killed us in the end, but the pain of relegation is softened by the delight of having that FA Cup in the cabinet, something Arsenal can't say they have :)

Martinez is quite possibly gone though, which is a shame as he's quite the manager and has worked wonders with the squad available to him. 8 extra games of football to watch for us next season and the drive to return to the promised land. If Martinez stays on, we're in with a big chance. If, as expected, he leaves, then it's still a good chance (Warnock is available) and can happen.

It sucks though as the final day of the season is really now just to see if Spurs or Arsenal get 4th place. I'd love for Spurs to get it, but Arsenal will demolish the toon and prevent it happening, signalling the end of Bale at WHL.

I heard a myth that Wigan had fans, but didn't believe it till now.

Get out of our league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAvgZJ_oEI

Targaryen_Warrior

Reaction score
That's such a terrible attempt at a dig on Arsenal, I really don't understand why people persevere with using it. They do have Fa Cup and League titles, just not won them at the Emirates so that shit doesn't hold merit. You enjoy that supposed victory though as you slip out of the league and into obscurity just like Portsmouth and Birmingham before you.

":)"

It's a warranted dig on a club that is fast becoming one that is gaining the tag of the also rans. Sure, they had a lot of success at Highbury, but since they moved to the Emirates, they've not won a single trophy, in spite of having several chances to do so (Birmingham City in the League Cup, for one). They are perennial top 4 finishers who fizzle out in the CL quarter finals on an annual basis given their favourable (at times) placement in their group. At least we actually fought through and overcame to win the trophy, at the expense of relegation. Difference is, we can be back, Arsenal just can't get silverware.

I heard a myth that Wigan had fans, but didn't believe it till now.

Get out of our league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAvgZJ_oEI

We'll be back :)

Lewb

Reaction score
Not massively against Arsenal, but you know there's a problem when your manager publicly says being top 4 is like winning a trophy. No, it fucking isn't.

I'm hoping Martinez takes the Everton job tbh. All the buzz is surrounding Malky so hopefully this will quieten the rumours.

The first half of the Europa final last night was ghastly bad. The second half picked up and I personally thought Chelsea had the better chances, if not the better side.

If Wigan have any chance of coming straight back up, they need to forget about Europe. Put kids out and focus on the league. Too many good championship sides these days.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Since Wenger last won a trophy, every other English league club has changed their manager, 91 in total.

Amazing stat.

Reaction score
How embarassing is it that Liverpool aren't even the best team in the city they are named after? I'd be ashamed if I were you, instead of gloating.

I can't find an image of the fact you are a mid table, one man team.

Same applies for Arsenal, I suppose the only difference is the fact Liverpool occasionally win trophies, in rare instances the Champions League.

Ummm, small issue there - If I remember rightly, Liverpool have scored 9 goals in 3 games without their main striker, shock horror but yet we're still a one man team :D! Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.