Official Football Discussion Thread 2012/13

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
:lol @ Liverpool losing to Oldham.

City have bottled the title imo, it's going to United again (shame), but meh, even though they've played shit most games, they still pull off the points. Fucking United.

Looks like you are right last night was a big slip up, can't see Utd not winning tonight. RVP and City's inconsistant nature will prove to be the key differences if the title does return to the red half.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Szscesny, Sagna and Santos were appalling again, get them all out of my club man.

Our defence made Jordan Henderson look like Maradona...

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for Liverpool, they should've won comfortably tonight. Fair play to Arsenal for fighting back, but their defence really is a shambles.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Szscesny, Sagna and Santos were appalling again, get them all out of my club man.

Our defence made Jordan Henderson look like Maradona...
What did Chez do wrong other than the attempted Cruyf turn because I can't seem to recall anything?

It's sad how far Sagna has fallen, that leg break really has fucked him up something rotten. Easily the best RB in the league prior to it.

Aniking

Reaction score

Mertesacker is crap too.

What did Chez do wrong other than the attempted Cruyf turn because I can't seem to recall anything?

It's sad how far Sagna has fallen, that leg break really has fucked him up something rotten. Easily the best RB in the league prior to it.

Unfortunately I agree with most of this.

Szczesny isn't good when it comes to set pieces and gets beaten in the air too often, and he also runs out to the edge of his box when he's no chance of getting to the ball. Also he attempts dumb shit like that turn, and when the ball's at his feet and he's put under pressure he doesn't clear it like keepers should. Instead he attempts to pick a pass to Mertesacker or Vermaelen, a very risky pass at that. His clearances forward can be wayward too, occasionally going straight out.

Sagna hasn't been the same the past couple of months. He's slow to track back, his crosses always hit the first man, and he's been exposed defensively. Nowhere near as bad as Santos, but for Sagna it's strange. He was definitely the best right back in the league, but since his leg breaks he's not been the same.

Mertesacker is just disappointing for somebody who's a regular international for the Germans. He's slow to run and turn, he poses zero threat at set pieces for a guy who's 6 foot 6, and he makes risky passes from the back. For example, against Liverpool he passed it straight to a Liverpool player (can't remember who) which gave them a promising counter attack against just two defenders.

Now as for Santos, he's just fucking terrible. He was incredibly bad against Brighton, a Championship side, but not so much when he came on against Liverpool... but only because they didn't target him like Brighton did. He's a major worry, especially now that Gibbs has been ruled out for the next three weeks. Can you imagine Santos up against Arjen Robben? That is what we're faced with, and to put it simply that should be Plan A for a comfortable Bayern victory.

The transfer window is nearly about to close, and the main man we have been linked with is David Villa. Do we need a striker before the end of the season? No, I don't think we do. We haven't had trouble scoring goals, and although Walcott and Giroud are our main options, we've got Podolski who can play there too. We have no issue with scoring goals, so a move for a striker makes little sense to me. It's not an area we should've looked to improve until the end of the season after we ship out Chamkah, Bendtner and Park Chu-Young permanently. They go, we replace them with a top striker, and we'd be just fine there.

What we need is this:

- A top goalkeeper; Szczesny is proving not to be good enough this season, and really I don't think Fabianski or Mannone can cut it. Don't get me wrong, Mannone was decent at the start of the season, but he's barely played in the past couple of months which goes to show Wenger doesn't really believe in him.

- A defensive mid; Song was one of our best last season, he was a very important player in our side, we sold him like we do with all our top players, we haven't replaced him, and it shows alot when our defence is exposed. Arteta has done well but ISN'T a defensive mid. Ramsey has done well in Arteta's absence, but ISN'T a defensive mid. Diaby isn't one either, and frankly I'm not sold on Coquelin who IS a defensive mid.

- A winger; This isn't as desperate as the other two, but I think it's still needed. When Giroud's up front we've got Walcott and Podolski on the two wings, which is great. There's also Oxlade-Chamberlain, but that's where it ends. Gervinho just doesn't play well with us and is by far a better player when playing for his country, Wenger has lost faith in Arshavin and he'll probably be sold (even though I'd like to see him given another chance), and then there's Ryo Miyaichi who's had a bad season with Wigan because of injuries. He's just a little older than Ox and has been sent on loan three times, but he has a future. We need another option apart from Podolski, Ox, and Walcott, an option not crap like Gervinho, not lacking the manager's belief like Arshavin, and not one inexperienced like Miyaichi.

Wenger's not shy with saying how good our squad is, constantly papering over the cracks, but they're all pretty obvious to see.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
How impressive have Reading been lately. They have taken seven points from their last three games and are now just outside the relegation zone thanks to a superior goal difference. Always good seeing an underdog team make a run for it at the end of the season out of the relegation zone, I would prefer it to be QPR but I like Reading thanks to Federici playing for them.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree with most of this.

Szczesny isn't good when it comes to set pieces and gets beaten in the air too often, and he also runs out to the edge of his box when he's no chance of getting to the ball. Also he attempts dumb shit like that turn, and when the ball's at his feet and he's put under pressure he doesn't clear it like keepers should. Instead he attempts to pick a pass to Mertesacker or Vermaelen, a very risky pass at that. His clearances forward can be wayward too, occasionally going straight out.

Sagna hasn't been the same the past couple of months. He's slow to track back, his crosses always hit the first man, and he's been exposed defensively. Nowhere near as bad as Santos, but for Sagna it's strange. He was definitely the best right back in the league, but since his leg breaks he's not been the same.

Mertesacker is just disappointing for somebody who's a regular international for the Germans. He's slow to run and turn, he poses zero threat at set pieces for a guy who's 6 foot 6, and he makes risky passes from the back. For example, against Liverpool he passed it straight to a Liverpool player (can't remember who) which gave them a promising counter attack against just two defenders.

Now as for Santos, he's just fucking terrible. He was incredibly bad against Brighton, a Championship side, but not so much when he came on against Liverpool... but only because they didn't target him like Brighton did. He's a major worry, especially now that Gibbs has been ruled out for the next three weeks. Can you imagine Santos up against Arjen Robben? That is what we're faced with, and to put it simply that should be Plan A for a comfortable Bayern victory.

The transfer window is nearly about to close, and the main man we have been linked with is David Villa. Do we need a striker before the end of the season? No, I don't think we do. We haven't had trouble scoring goals, and although Walcott and Giroud are our main options, we've got Podolski who can play there too. We have no issue with scoring goals, so a move for a striker makes little sense to me. It's not an area we should've looked to improve until the end of the season after we ship out Chamkah, Bendtner and Park Chu-Young permanently. They go, we replace them with a top striker, and we'd be just fine there.

What we need is this:

- A top goalkeeper; Szczesny is proving not to be good enough this season, and really I don't think Fabianski or Mannone can cut it. Don't get me wrong, Mannone was decent at the start of the season, but he's barely played in the past couple of months which goes to show Wenger doesn't really believe in him.

- A defensive mid; Song was one of our best last season, he was a very important player in our side, we sold him like we do with all our top players, we haven't replaced him, and it shows alot when our defence is exposed. Arteta has done well but ISN'T a defensive mid. Ramsey has done well in Arteta's absence, but ISN'T a defensive mid. Diaby isn't one either, and frankly I'm not sold on Coquelin who IS a defensive mid.

- A winger; This isn't as desperate as the other two, but I think it's still needed. When Giroud's up front we've got Walcott and Podolski on the two wings, which is great. There's also Oxlade-Chamberlain, but that's where it ends. Gervinho just doesn't play well with us and is by far a better player when playing for his country, Wenger has lost faith in Arshavin and he'll probably be sold (even though I'd like to see him given another chance), and then there's Ryo Miyaichi who's had a bad season with Wigan because of injuries. He's just a little older than Ox and has been sent on loan three times, but he has a future. We need another option apart from Podolski, Ox, and Walcott, an option not crap like Gervinho, not lacking the manager's belief like Arshavin, and not one inexperienced like Miyaichi.

Wenger's not shy with saying how good our squad is, constantly papering over the cracks, but they're all pretty obvious to see.

Yeah you say all that and yet Arsenal are still on the heels of the top four places, and with Spurs starting to look shaky and Everton struggling due to a small squad you have every chance. Not to mention you are still in two cups.

Aniking

Reaction score
Yeah you say all that and yet Arsenal are still on the heels of the top four places, and with Spurs starting to look shaky and Everton struggling due to a small squad you have every chance. Not to mention you are still in two cups.

That hardly matters, we're supposed to be one of the top clubs in England. Ten years ago we were right up there with Man Utd, but now we're the next Liverpool quite frankly. Being "on the heels" of the Top 4 isn't good enough as we should be well embedded in there already instead of fighting to get in. It's great we advanced through the group stage of the Champions League again, but we got knocked out of one cup by Bradford and it's still early in the other.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If we don't sign anyone we are FUCKED.

I haven't seen us linked with anyone but Diame though, we need more than that...

Few moves done btw ------
Beckham to PSG - free transfer
Graham to Sunderland - £5m
Balotelli to AC Milan - £19m
Samba to QPR -£12m (good signing,love that guy)
Becchio to Norwich - £3m
Sylla to Villa - £2m
Emanuelson to Fulham - loan

Lewb

Reaction score
If we don't sign anyone we are FUCKED.

I haven't seen us linked with anyone but Diame though, we need more than that...

Few moves done btw ------
Beckham to PSG - free transfer
Graham to Sunderland - £5m
Balotelli to AC Milan - £19m
Samba to QPR -£12m (good signing,love that guy)
Becchio to Norwich - £3m
Sylla to Villa - £2m
Emanuelson to Fulham - loan

QPR with another singing at £100,000 a week. If they don't survive the drop they are literally fucked. Beckham listening to Vicky again too.

Someone posted an old Watford programme on twitter with Danny Graham interview. And he says he would never be seen anywhere near Sunderland. As a Newcastle fan, that's another player that's left Swansea for the money. Oh yeah, he played for Middlesborough too. Sunderland fans showed exactly how they felt about it Tuesday but the deal is done, he now has to prove himself there.

You might like this one Cork, someones making up an audacious rumour that Arshavins coming to Cardiff on loan..... Lmfao.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I hope he goes there, imagine him in the Championship?

Think he's on 80k a week though so god knows how they would pull it off.

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Let me just qualify this first of all by saying I like Samba, definitely rate him, but £12.5m plus 100k wages is absolutely crazy money for a guy who is basically just a good, solid centre half.

With regards to Beckham, just saw this post on another forum which made me laugh;

"Beckham is a free agent and has been for a while. He could've signed for anyone at anytime, even after the window.

So why did he choose deadline day, the vapid, vacuous attention whore"

EDIT- Beckham donating his entire salary to a children's charity in Paris. Fair play to him! I take it all back.

Last edited:

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Still think QPR are going down at the end of the season. If I was Samba, i'd of stayed in Russia with Anzhi as they're doing well under Guus Hiddink at the moment, plus they're still in the Europa League. I'd of imagined he'd of been paid quite well as Anzhi are quite a rich club. Gonna laugh when QPR go down and they have to sell Samba for probably half of what they bought him for.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
What a boring deadline day. Highlight being QPR paying silly money for Samba and the Odemwingie saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.