Official Cartoon Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Just an interesting fact for you Deathbane, Avatar is actually an anime. The writers/creators were influenced by anime's and wanted to create their own but since they live in America people class it as a "Cartoon" mainly for the fact that it had an English version before a Japanese version.

If you look at it and how in depth the storyline actually goes you'll realize it's actually an anime and not a cartoon.

It's amazing though none the less, one of my favorite western animated series.

I'm also a big fan of the Spider-Man series, I've watched all of them up till the new one which is complete shit. So yeah if you wanna kill a day just download Spectacular Spider-Man or something, that show actually has a really good ongoing storyline to it and it's a shame it ended the way it did.

Lady Deathbane

thanks for the unban, lmao
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Just an interesting fact for you Deathbane, Avatar is actually an anime. The writers/creators were influenced by anime's and wanted to create their own but since they live in America people class it as a "Cartoon" mainly for the fact that it had an English version before a Japanese version.

If you look at it and how in depth the storyline actually goes you'll realize it's actually an anime and not a cartoon.

It's amazing though none the less, one of my favorite western animated series.

Nope. Anime is cartoons created in Japan by Japanese people in Japanese, Avatar isn't, so it isn't an anime. Avatar is heavily influenced by Asian culture, yes, but even then it's not even mostly Japanese, there's a lot of Chinese influences as well (the martial arts used). Next you're gonna' tell me Jackie Chain Adventures and American Dragon: Jake Long are animes, lmao.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Nope. Anime is cartoons created in Japan by Japanese people in Japanese, Avatar isn't, so it isn't an anime. Avatar is heavily influenced by Asian culture, yes, but even then it's not even mostly Japanese, there's a lot of Chinese influences as well (the martial arts used). Next you're gonna' tell me Jackie Chain Adventures and American Dragon: Jake Long are animes, lmao.

Actually no, Anime isn't only allowed to be made in Japan. If it's made in anime style or with the anime thought in mind it is technically anime. It's not constricted to just the japanese. I also decided to look into this a little to try and get something to prove my point but instead I found something that proves us both right :3

Source: Wiki

Avatar: The Last Airbender is set in an Asian-influenced world[1] wherein some are able to manipulate the classical elements by use of psychokinetic variants of Chinese martial arts known as "bending". The show combined the styles of anime and American cartoons, and relied on the imagery of various East-Asian, Inuit, Indian and South-American societies.[2] Due to this style, the series regularly enters the conversation regarding its consideration as an anime work.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Caught another episode of Teen Titans Go!, Starliar . . . it was terrible in every way. I've given this show enough chances, I'm done with it for good. Teen Titans on the other hand has been good, almost done rewatching season 1. Love Masks (last one I saw) & Nevermore but the rest of the season is just okay to bad. Well, I recall loving the Mad Mod's episode so hopefully it's as good as I remember. The Apprentice two parter was pretty good too from memory. The only season one episode I have left that I'm not looking forward to is Car Trouble. Can't wait until I get to season four though, definitely had the best story arc.

Ok well I guess it is time to add to this thread. Here is what I used to watch:

Dexter's Lab
Cow & Chicken/I Am Weasel
Powerpuff Girls
Johnny Bravo
Courage The Cowardly Dog
2 stupid Dogs
Mike Lu & Og
Doug
Rugrats &All Grown Up
Hey Arnold
Real Monsters
Rocko's Modern Life
CatDog
Teen Titans
Batman - The Animated Series
Cramp Twins
Looney Tunes
Tom & Jerry
Tom & Jerry Kids
Scooby Doo
Fairly Odd Parents
SpongeBob
The Smurfs
Codename KND
Flying Rhino Junior High
Camp Lazlo
Flinstones
Flinestons Kids
Secret Squirrel
Yogi Bear show (Yogi bear, snugglepuss &Yanky Doodle)
Dynomutt Dog Wonder
Whatever happened to robot jones
Ed Edd N Eddy
Grim & Evil (Didn't really watch grim adventures of B&M)
Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
Regular Show

Don't judge me

Good list. Barely remember 2 Stupid Dogs, Dynomutt, & Secret Squirrel but I recall liking them. Recall seeing at least one episode of both The Cramp Twins & Mike, Lu, & Og, don't think I cared for either. Never even heard of Flying Rhino Junior High. And Whatever Happened to Robot Jones was awesome when Robot Jones actually sounded like a robot.

Actually no, Anime isn't only allowed to be made in Japan. If it's made in anime style or with the anime thought in mind it is technically anime. It's not constricted to just the japanese. I also decided to look into this a little to try and get something to prove my point but instead I found something that proves us both right :3

Anime should not be defined by style. The first two links are sources explaining why anime is better defined by origin while the third is just the wikipedia page dedicated to what most people considering shows like Avatar. Either way, the first link is good and rather short (if you stick to just the definition by origin/style bits) while the second is longer but in my opinion much better states the reasoning and I really recommend reading it to anyone interested in the topic because the wording is beautiful. Regardless of whether anyone does, I'll be posting my personal thoughts on why it should be defined by origin, so it may prove redundant since several are the same points and I will be posting the final paragraph of the second link as it says it better than I could (probably will post the definition by style from the first link too). Anyway . . .

In Japan, where as far as I could find out is where the term originated (yes, I'm aware it's likely derived from a French word), anime means animation. So there, Avatar is anime but so is everything mentioned in this thread. From the Disney movies to Family Guy, it's all anime there. This is the first reason why I think Anime should not be defined via style, because it's original definition doesn't. Outside of Japan, it became known as Japanese animation (regardless of any current thoughts anyone may have on how anime should be defined, it's not arguable that it was a first just classified as Japanese animation). Since the original term here didn't account for style (though I won't deny that obviously it was branded differently partially because of style) and the term still doesn't in Japan, I don't see the need to alter the definition to be all inclusive to style.

Which brings me to the second reason, Japanese animation has a lot of variety. Not all of it encompasses the qualities that people consider the anime style. A big part of Cowboy Bebop's appeal in the western is how unanime it is, how it has much more an western animated shows for people due to the episodic nature of the series (combined with a small overarching plot every now and again), to the many western influences in episodes, as they payed homage/reference to western films such as Desperado, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, etc. along with naming several episodes after songs from bands such as Queen, Aerosmith, & The Rolling Stones, and lack of some noticeably characteristics of anime. That's a big part of why the phrase, "I hate every anime except Cowboy Bebop." wasn't/isn't uncommon. Would Bebop not be considered anime? Even if you're answer's "no, it would be." Bebop is a relatively tame example I listed, Panty Stocking & Garterbelt looks much more like Invader Zim, Regular Show, later episodes of Dexter's Lab, etc. then something like School Rumble, One Piece, or Black Blood Brothers. Monster doesn't have many if any of the typical anime tropes, yet it's never been disputed as anime. I'm just saying, if you try to define it as a style, you end up with a lot of cases where Japanese animation wouldn't be considered anime.

Defining "anime" as a style of animation that originated in Japan is much more complicated, however this definition would allow animation produced outside of Japan, but conforming to the defined "style" to be called "anime." It is difficult to determine if this "style" should be determined solely on drawing style (ie: Big eyes, small mouth, pointy hair), if it should include editing techniques (Japanese animation typically makes more use of "cuts" and "camera angles" than most non Japanese animation), and whether the narrative or storytelling style should be included in the definition. Perhaps the biggest pitfall of this definition is that, due to the wide variety of Japanese animation, regardless of any style based definition, there will always be Japanese animation that would not fit the definition, creating a scenario where some Japanese animation would not be anime.

I understand that some dictionaries like Merriam webster define it by style (not all do) but I don't really care about that. Merriam Webster also defines [animated] cartoons as anything animated. However, that doesn't really apply to how the vast majority of people refer to anime or to cartoons. Being involved in several anime communities, two being huge, I can speak for experience that the vast majority of people don't consider anime based off style but by definition. It's the same as on this community. Based off a Merriam Webster we have two separate threads where we are basically discussing the same thing. Yet looking at the content present in both, the main distinguishing feature between them is where they came from. Now, I'm not knocking definitions by dictionaries as clearly several instances when people use a word incorrectly drive me nuts (like people who use demused to mean amused) but with this instance I think there is good reason for it. I'll just leave most of the last two paragraphs from the second link as again it presents it fine.

Critics, scholars, and professionals that comprehend the proper usage of the word “anime” do not use it as a catch-all term for any illustration that resembles contemporary Japanese pop art. Marketers who wish to promote everything from Paris Hilton to hair styling gel affiliate their products with the trendy words “anime” and “manga” to attract attention. Non-Japanese artists who seemingly can’t be satisfied that their work is unique and original longingly describe it as “manga” or “anime.” I don’t understand the aversion to literally calling something what it is: anime inspired or manga influenced. I believe that artists should take pride in what their art is instead of advertising it as what it isn’t. The insistence on referring to original American art as Japanese “anime” or “manga” robs the work of its cultural identity.

The term “anime,” when used in English language, does and should refer to Japanese animation – specifically animation that originates in Japan which is characterized by the creative influences and artistic choices of Japanese artists. The attempt to define anime as a visual style renders the term useless because such a broad definition is incapable of clearly distinguishing what is and isn’t “anime.” The word “anime” is not a qualitative adjective; it doesn’t mean that a type of art is good, better, or worse than something else, nor that a type of art has a distinguishing appearance. People who respect linguistics and who understand the proper use of terminology should agree that the word “anime” has a clear and useful definition, and attempts to weaken, broaden or corrupt that definition are counterproductive and thoughtless.

Okay, rant done. Just me explaining my stance on the whole anime definition.