Official Anime Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
OMG, Noir is my favorite anime of all time. I think it deserves a lot more credit than it gets. The "realism" was so refreshing for an anime, and the pacing was perfect, and the story was grounded, and the animation; the animation was brilliant in places, but more subtle than most animes. Less flashy. No comedic relief, no fanservice. I honestly thought it was brilliant. But I might be a little biased. Yuri anime (even faux-yuri) is so hard to find.

Well, Noir probably wouldn't even make it into my top thirty but I did enjoy it. Didn't really care for it all too much before Chloe's arrival save two episodes (the first one and Lost Kitten), which is mainly why it got a six instead of a seven for me. If it wasn't for my thoughts of Chloe at the end and for the fact that Mireille ended up as a total spanner in the works lead me to having Mireille be my favorite character (also love Mireille's design and character in general, plus my favorite episode focuses on her [the one with her uncle]). Outside of Chloe & Mireille, can't say I cared for any of the other characters.

The realism was nice, I don't think the following series in Bee-trains girls with guns trilogy follow that but I haven't seen enough of them to tell. You see either of them (Madlax & El Cazador de la Bruja)? Not sure I agree about the no fanservice, at least I don't recall if there was any real reason for Mireille's lesbian kiss. Outside of that, yeah. Yeah, I haven't run across much yuri stuff, Venus Versus Virus I guess would include the second most to Noir but that show is probably my least favorite of all I've seen and it may have been more of a case of relationship writing fumble than intentional.

But yeah, the sound track was it's highpoint. Almost all tracks were brilliant. Canta Per Me was awesome, but I think I prefer Salva Nos. But this one's my favorite:

It's a little spoiled by the Japanese accent, but it's absolutely chilling as it correlates to Chloe's character. Chloe is one of my favorite characters of all time, not just in Noir. Even her ending was perfect, as sad as it was. She's such a perfect blend of menace, girlishness, and sheer lethal awesomeness. Such a psychotic little thing.

On the third disc of the OST they have a few remixes (some of them sung by the VAs) and Chloe's VA did a remix to Secret Game in Japanese. Fucking brilliant song, it's called Himitsu (secret).

She has a brilliant voice, that chick. She's the most convincing of all the VAs by far. And, really, a perfect song for Chloe. The lyrics are different from Secret Game, more romantic, less stalkerish. And that flute solo at the end - fucking crazy.

While I'm here I'll post one more:

Chloe's Theme. I love how it opens with underwater sound effects. Describes the girl perfectly; drowning, doomed. Right from the beginning she was nothing more than a pawn in Altena's plan. So unfair. This post has made me all sad now. Oh Chloe...

All of those tracks are quite good but that's true for most. Salva Nos is godly but Canta Per Me has a better instrumentation in my opinion so I prefer that. The OST for Noir would make it into my top ten (not sure where though, I love several animes OST).

Chloe was my overall favourite, but I agree they fucked it up a bit in the end. I have not seen Gungrave. The animation for Berserk is awful? I guess we have differing opinions on that. As for the quality to the story, you haven't seen anything yet. It really gets crazy from the mid-end of the series.

Awful might be an overstatement but it's definitely the cheapest show I've seen made. Like, I can totally tell this is on a budget, and all the time (some Gainax and Gonzo productions are bad at managing/prioritizing their budget so some episodes can come off awful while the rest are good [Gainax - Few episodes of His and Her Circumstances were god awful (the last one was literally a manga, an onscreen manga (black and white, no real movement, etc.) and Gonzo any episode of Samurai 7 with the number 7 in it [episode 7 was worse than 17)]).

To explain clearly, they use every single trick in the book in all their fight scenes and it's hard as hell not to notice. Speed lines, changing the background to just colors and loops those to make it appear as the characters moving (probably the least frequent and most money consuming [though I have no proof to the latter] but it's still a trick around actually animating the models), repeating animation (in two ways, I. repeating a going for a strike animation two more times and rarely repeating strike animations [I've really only noticed this in the fight against Bazuso]), animating only one part of the screen (like just the blood spurting out [in a quickly looped fashion] while none of the other body parts move (done during the fight with the snake guy in episode one [several of these are]) and finally, and worst of all, still images instead of actually animating. This is probably my biggest pet peeve in animation, it drove me crazy whenever the original FMA did it but they only did it like for two fights, Berserk does it in almost every fight they do. They did it twice during the fight with the snake guy in episode one and do it once during that fight with Bazuso. When they don't use these budget saving tricks, the animation is okay but they rarely don't use them (I can think of one fight that didn't use one of them). The art on the other hand, is quite good. I heard people say that they sacrificed the animation quality to get the art to resemble as close as the manga as possible. Not sure if true but meh, the art is quite good.

What's more important is that the animation doesn't really hurt my enjoyment. I'm currently on episode seven, and still enjoying it as much as I was previously. I've seen quite a few more anime but I'm going to end this post here for the fact that I've gone on long enough (and I have other plans today and I'm cutting it close).

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score

Haven't been here in a while guys as I've been busy with school, editing and just having fun with mates but I thought I'd come on here and share this is anyone is interested, I am hosting an MEP (Multi Editor Project) it's anime themed, so basically only anime is allowed to be used in it and it's also open to anyone to join. As long as you're not a complete blueberry with editing I'd be happy to have your help :) So if you wanna help out or anything comment on there and let me know and I'll sort it out.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score

Haven't been here in a while guys as I've been busy with school, editing and just having fun with mates but I thought I'd come on here and share this is anyone is interested, I am hosting an MEP (Multi Editor Project) it's anime themed, so basically only anime is allowed to be used in it and it's also open to anyone to join. As long as you're not a complete blueberry with editing I'd be happy to have your help :) So if you wanna help out or anything comment on there and let me know and I'll sort it out.

Well, seems kind of interesting. I'll check out any amv as long as it doesn't contain spoilers for something I haven't seen yet. Definitely can't be involved though, not good enough with editing nor do I have to the motivation to put the effort into it that's required.

As for anime, I've finished Eve no Jikan the Ovas and the movie. I'd give both an 8, but it's not really worth watching both as they are essentially the same thing with a few different scenes. The movie exclusive scenes are better than the OVA ones though, as it gives better insight into one of the characters and a better idea of some of the backstory. The plot isn't something overly unique, but it's executed greatly and rather short no matter how you watch it (the movie is an hour and forty-six minutes, and it's longer than the six episode OVA combined).

I've been continuing all twelve different anime I've watched. I'm on episode 9 of Berserk, hasn't improved in quality yet but I'm enjoying it as much as I have been since episode 2. Black Blood Brothers is average. Case Closed is solid as always. Ghost In The Solid has been good but still not something that I attach too. Level E style of the different arcs comprising of different characters is refreshing but the show hasn't been as good as the first four (the first three were hilarious, the fourth for being the only real serious one and being the most detached and different). Still enjoying it though, seems like the final arc will be returning to the original characters, which I'm excited for. It's only been about seven episodes (the show only has thirteen) but I have really missed them. Madlax's second episode was even worse than the first. Finally started Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (subbed) and I'm really enjoying it so far. The series has my favorite school design I've seen (odd thing to point out, I know) but the show is visually stunning, one of the prettiest things I've seen and I love the abstract visuals. The music is also rather awesome, for reference it's done by the same composer of Noir. Fishman Island has been alright so far in One Piece. Not far into it at all, so I won't go into spoilers because I'm only ten or so episodes in I think. Rosario + Vampire Capu2 is probably my least favorite anime, it's terrible on pretty much every level. Wish I didn't develop the mindset of must finish what I've started when it comes to anime. School Rumble doesn't do it for me as a comedy, and I dislike/hate most of the characters in it (Harima being the biggest example, most of the laughs it does get from me is because of him). Some nice incidental music and I rather liked the ending of the last episode I saw (wasn't funny, but great [the shooting star scene for anyone who cares, really lovely scene set to a great track). Desert Punk's been alright. As has the X-Men anime, surprisingly.

Brother Loathe

Ah Loathe Yewwwwww
Reaction score
Is anyone here a fan on Yu-Gi-Oh! and knows where to watch it? I used to love dueling irl with friends with cards (call me a geek idc) and I never actually watch the anime series all that much, I watched original series movie and a few episodes but that's it really.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Is anyone here a fan on Yu-Gi-Oh! and knows where to watch it? I used to love dueling irl with friends with cards (call me a geek idc) and I never actually watch the anime series all that much, I watched original series movie and a few episodes but that's it really.

I've seen bits and pieces of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series, the first fifty to sixty episodes of GX but that's about it. Well, I've also seen a ton of Yu-gi-oh Abridged but I'm not counting that. I don't think I'd personally recommend it but that's me and I haven't even seen it all (I'll eventually get around to watching it anyway, probably subbed), I'll send you a link though. Do like the card game though.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
So what the fuck is going on with One Piece's and Naruto's manga? They're like fucking up the release dates and shit.

Anyways, One Piece's current arc is almost done which is awesome. (Anime)
And Naruto Shippuden's anime is almost at a really good episode.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is legit or not, but it's pretty interesting. William Mustafar Reginald
268c69ac01310ec055b2c49d474a10a0.jpg

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score

http://www.animefreak.tv/book

This will most likely have Yu-Gi-Oh, it has a shit load of anime on there anyway so if you can't find Yu-Gi-Oh you'd probably be able to find something you'd enjoy anyway.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score

http://www.animefreak.tv/book

This will most likely have Yu-Gi-Oh, it has a shit load of anime on there anyway so if you can't find Yu-Gi-Oh you'd probably be able to find something you'd enjoy anyway.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is legit or not, but it's pretty interesting. William Mustafar Reginald
268c69ac01310ec055b2c49d474a10a0.jpg

I can confirm several of those, like Hogan liking Pokémon, Andrew W.K. liking Gundam, some of Hayley Williams's and a few more but I wouldn't be surprised if all of these are legit. Not surprised by anyone listing Cowboy Bebop or the any movies, particularly Miyazaki ones, though always seem/were exempt from the typical anime hate (which has died down considerably in quite some time). The popular stuff like Dragon Ball & Bleach (yuck) don't surprise me. Cool seeing Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) & Case Closed (Detective Conan - I just think Case Closed sounds better, love alliteration and all) getting a mention. Really surprised to see Mushishi (one of my favorites) & Kino's Journey getting a mention on here, especially by someone like Robert Pattinson. Really pleased to see Naoki Urasawa works being mentioned here, particularly all the ones I've read/seen. Monster, 20th Century Boys, Master Keaton are all great stuff, especially the former two. Really wish 20th Century Boys would get an anime adaption like Monster & Keaton did.

I'll actually be getting around to watching some anime again soon. I'm not too far away from being caught up on Breaking Bad and that's mostly what's been stopping me from watching anime.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I feel sorry for guys like Hulk Hogan on that list that are old and like One Piece. It's got another 10 - 15 years to go and they might not see the end. :upset: