Official Anime Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Oh God, I'm going through DB, DBZ, DBGT and I'm going over the randomness that is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobobo.

Can't say I'm a fan of the latter two (in fact, I hate GT) but the former ones are pretty good (at least from memory, which isn't great with DB and too good for DBZ). Favorite arc/saga in DBZ?

Yeah, Nami's and Robin's aren't the greatest look. And they made Chopper just cuter. I also dislike something about Chopper, but I'll just end up telling it to you when you're done Fishman Island.

Lets take a step back and not remember try to reminisce that. :urm:

So nothing really outstanding. Case Closed is a fun watch as always. I feel like it's a show that I can re-watch at anytime, whether it be a new or an old episode. As I said before, it gets kinda ehn around 600 episodes. It has it's moments though.

Also, I think I said Fairy Tail was good? I take that back. After watching other anime's, I've realized that it has many flaws. It's fun to watch, but everything is just a mess.

I honestly like that Chopper is just cuter, it fits his character well.

Nah, not in those batch. I've watched quite a few more episodes. Case Closed is definitely something I can re-watch infinitely, it's just always a solid and fun watch. Actually got saw what is probably my favorite episode I've seen thus far, the one with this guy . . .
7lRUDbN.jpg
Just an incredibly well-thought out case.

As for Fairy Tail, any specific anime make you realize it's flawed? Hunter x Hunter or Claymore (I figure Hunter x Hunter is the more likely though, both being battle shonens)? I actually read more of it Fairy Tail, the Galuna Island arc was good and the Phantom Lord arc was pretty solid. It's a fun read but that's kind of it, so I guess I'm in the same boat as you.

As for the other anime/manga I've watched/read, for the most part they were all pretty good. On the manga side Negima has finally started edging out the harem/fanservice/terrible jokes in favor of the shonen elements so for once I actually enjoyed reading it. The field trip arc was nothing special but it was good, helped by the fact that preceding it was crap. Still hate Negi (the main character) which isn't a good thing (though in truth I don't care much about most of the characters). Read some Yu Yu Hakusho, the spirit detective saga/arc so far was better in the anime.

As for anime I've seen more Case Closed (obviously), Ghost In The Shell, Gungrave, Level E, Noir, School Rumble, & Stellvia. GitS has finally hit a point where I'm loving it. The last three episodes I saw were just great, though I did admittedly hate the one prior to those three. Gungrave has improved every single episode and the ending of episode 8 (the last one I saw) was quite powerful. May end up as one of my favorites at this rate, though I still shake my head at the retardedness of the first episode. Level E is a comedy about an alien who crash lands on Earth and decides to move in with a human (and no, said human was not consulted at first) by Yoshihiro Togashi (the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho & Hunter X Hunter). I'm only two episodes but I've laughed quite a bit. Kind of a complement since most anime, particularly comedies, don't do it for me. Seems rather fast-paced in terms of it's plot too, which is good thing. Didn't laugh once during the last School Rumble episode I've seen. Noir is continuing to improve, quite liking it so far. Stellvia's first episode was kind of bad, hopefully it improves.

I actually found this pretty cool. Considering that William and Mustafar are caught up to the proper arc, I might as well post.
179748_521748294545303_1183449233_n.jpg

Poor Kid, being compared to one of my least favorite villains in One Piece. Honestly, I don't really get that comparison. Otherwise yeah, cool pic.

Last edited:

Forrest OAKADA

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Can't say I'm a fan of the latter two (in fact, I hate GT) but the former ones are pretty good (at least from memory, which isn't great with DB and too good for DBZ). Favorite arc/saga in DBZ?
My Favorite would have to be either the Cell Saga or the Majin Buu Saga (I think thats what it's called)

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
7lRUDbN.jpg
Just an incredibly well-thought out case.

Poor Kid, being compared to one of my least favorite villains in One Piece. Honestly, I don't really get that comparison. Otherwise yeah, cool pic.

You'll understand the comparison later on the series. I think the current arc in the anime? Probably there. But I agree with Shiki, Kid is much stronger and better than him. Well, that is in my opinion.
Also, which case was that from?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It was the one at Serena's (Sonoko's) sisters place with her college friends. Yup, I enjoyed that episode. Another one I enjoyed was "Richard's classmate reunion".
richard_group.jpg

Last edited:

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I actually found this pretty cool. Considering that William and Mustafar are caught up to the proper arc, I might as well post.
179748_521748294545303_1183449233_n.jpg

I'd trade Whitebeard with Rayleigh Silvers personally for Trafalgar Law also I'm exactly sure who the one under Eustass Kid is? Luffy and Roger match up perfectly though.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I'd trade Whitebeard with Rayleigh Silvers personally for Trafalgar Law also I'm exactly sure who the one under Eustass Kid is? Luffy and Roger match up perfectly though.

Rayleigh is obviously Zoro as he is Luffy's right hand. Those three pirates are rivals, hence the picture.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Has anyone read the latest chapter or Naruto Shippuden?

Some crazy shit with Obito becoming the 10 tails Jinchuriki! I seriously wonder how he managed to do that after being pierced with Chidori and then getting absolutely destroyed with Amateratsu. I everyone underestimated Obito's power, I mean I thought he was extremely strong until they found out his secret and then he was easily defeated but then to be able to pull this off while being blasted with Amateratsu is just amazing. This guy is actually really strong.

Yeah, I caught up earlier today. Damn, it was a nice twist. Everyone was pissed on how easily he was losing to Kakashi, but glad we saw another side to it.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
That latest chapter of Naruto was amazing.
Any ideas on what Madara's trump card could be? Also damn, Obito as the Juubi Jinchuriki is fucking amazing, Obito has completely lost it at the moment.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
My Favorite would have to be either the Cell Saga or the Majin Buu Saga (I think thats what it's called)

Good pick with the Cell Saga and yeah, there exists a Majin Buu Saga (the terminology they used is so wrong though, considering that DBZ named Saga's after small increments of story [i.e. based off that there are three different Cell sagas but I know what you mean, I'm just going on a little side tangent]). I didn't really care for most of the Buu stuff honestly, I was really liking it before Buu was released but once he was there were only certain parts of it I really liked and the rest ranged from meh to crap. I love pretty much everything from the Cell "Saga" though.

You'll understand the comparison later on the series. I think the current arc in the anime? Probably there. But I agree with Shiki, Kid is much stronger and better than him. Well, that is in my opinion.
Also, which case was that from?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. It was the one at Serena's (Sonoko's) sisters place with her college friends. Yup, I enjoyed that episode. Another one I enjoyed was "Richard's classmate reunion".
richard_group.jpg

Sorry should've mentioned the case. Thought the bandage guy would've been enough but there are like seven hundred of them don't know why I thought you'd remember it.

And that case was awesome! Probably my second favorite case (maybe my favorite), it wasn't as intricate as the Mountain Villa one but it sure as all had much more heart and character to it.

When Conan decides not to knock Richard out.

that you're not sure who the one under Eustass Kid is? If so, it's Golden Lion Shiki, the main antagonist of Strong World and one of the big players during Roger's Era. He was mentioned during the Impel Down arc as the only guy who managed to escape. And he's a terrible villain.

Also, how's Bebop been going?

Finally, I've seen more Gungrave and you can scratch it possibly becoming one of my all-time favorites. Not that the three episodes I saw were bad, overall they were still enjoyable but it did drop in quality quite a bit. Will say the last episode I saw had two laughable bad moments though but at least it balanced out by having the rest being more enjoyable than the last two episodes in total. Still enjoying it though, which is what really matters. Noir has also continued to be good, hasn't really dropped in quality since Chloe got added to the story. Started Black Blood Brothers, it's alright so far but Kotaro is pretty annoying. Don't care enough to talk about what else I've seen, which wasn't much.

William

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Finally finished watching Cowboy Bebop! It is honestly a great anime! I can get how it's a classic! Not one of my favorites though because the storylines felt somewhat rushed however though I don't dislike the show, I actually think it's great! So yeah I'm not a die hard fan of Cowboy Bebop but I'm certainly not a hater of it! Overall it was a great watch! :)

I've also been watching an anime called "Paranoia Agent" it's about this person who rides around on roller skates smashing people in the back of the head with bats and basically there's a police investigation for it which gets really interesting. I won't say what happens during the investigation though as it's sort of a big spoiler for the reason the person hitting is doing it. Anyway if you have some spare time I suggest giving that a watch :)

Also Naruto filler is finally over! Next weeks episode we'll see the arrival of Madara to the battlefield and shortly after Five Kage vs Madara! I'm freaking pumped! :)

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Finally finished watching Cowboy Bebop! It is honestly a great anime! I can get how it's a classic! Not one of my favorites though because the storylines felt somewhat rushed however though I don't dislike the show, I actually think it's great! So yeah I'm not a die hard fan of Cowboy Bebop but I'm certainly not a hater of it! Overall it was a great watch! :)

I've also been watching an anime called "Paranoia Agent" it's about this person who rides around on roller skates smashing people in the back of the head with bats and basically there's a police investigation for it which gets really interesting. I won't say what happens during the investigation though as it's sort of a big spoiler for the reason the person hitting is doing it. Anyway if you have some spare time I suggest giving that a watch :)
Also Naruto filler is finally over! Next weeks episode we'll see the arrival of Madara to the battlefield and shortly after Five Kage vs Madara! I'm freaking pumped! :)

You should probably spoiler the Naruto.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
So, I finished two different animes recently, Gungrave (8/10) & Noir (6/10). The former probably wouldn't make it into my top ten but it wouldn't be too far off while the latter was enjoyable for the most part but unfortunately the only thing that really stood out was it's OST. So solid/great and enjoyable/passable.

Let me know when you're watching it.

I haven't started watching Samurai Deeper Kyo but I will be starting Berserk soon, which I recalled is one of your favorites. Anyway, the real reason I'm quoting you is to ask if you ever watched Gungrave. So, have you ever watched Gungrave? According to MAL, Gungrave is rather similar to Berserk (I can't back this up as I haven't seen the latter) and Gungrave is done by Yasuhiro Nightow, better known as the creator of Trigun. Figured you might be interested in it if you haven't already seen it.

The first episode is horrible (to put it into perspective, episode 1 = episode 18) and mostly there so the big change it has about two-thirds in isn't as jarring (essentially, they start adding in sci-fi elements [that stuff starts getting added in around episode ten I believe, but it's not really prominent until near the end] in a show that was basically realistic at first). The last third isn't really that good, it's too ridiculously over the top among other problems but the last two or so episodes save it. The finale is one of my favorites in all of anime and television. I have quite a few problems with the series but I do recommend it.

Well, I didn't think Cowboy Bebop was rushed at all (maybe Boogie Woogie Feng Shui, but that episode was awful altogether) but I'm glad you liked it, being my favorite anime and whatnot. Favorite session?

As for Paranoia Agent, man that's been on my, "To Watch" list forever. Can't really juggle more shows at the moment (I'm currently juggling thirteen [yep, I'm an idiot]) so I'll have to wait but once I finish Black Blood Brothers or Berserk I think I'll start checking that out. Will probably resume One Piece soon, I just really don't want to watch the Fishman Island stuff.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
Totally agree on the Noir OST, I still have some tunes on my iPOD and I watched the series at least 8-10 years ago. I also thought that the animation was above average.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Totally agree on the Noir OST, I still have some tunes on my iPOD and I watched the series at least 8-10 years ago. I also thought that the animation was above average.

^Probably my favorite track. As for the animation, it sometimes was above average I suppose but overall it didn't really impress me. Do you remember who your favorite character was? My ended up as Mireille by far, though Chloe could've been but the last episodes kind of ruined that. Take it this means you've never seen Gungrave though?

I'm only on episode three of Berserk but I'm enjoying it so far. It does start off similar to Gungrave, with the first episode being set farther ahead in the story before going to the beginning (so to speak) with episode 2. Berserk's first episode was much better though. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure why I'm enjoying it as much as I am, but I'm really liking it. The OP doesn't fit the show though and is hilarious and the animation is really awful but everything else has been great.

Laura

The Showoff
Reaction score

^Probably my favorite track. As for the animation, it sometimes was above average I suppose but overall it didn't really impress me. Do you remember who your favorite character was? My ended up as Mireille by far, though Chloe could've been but the last episodes kind of ruined that.

OMG, Noir is my favorite anime of all time. I think it deserves a lot more credit than it gets. The "realism" was so refreshing for an anime, and the pacing was perfect, and the story was grounded, and the animation; the animation was brilliant in places, but more subtle than most animes. Less flashy. No comedic relief, no fanservice. I honestly thought it was brilliant. But I might be a little biased. Yuri anime (even faux-yuri) is so hard to find.

But yeah, the sound track was it's highpoint. Almost all tracks were brilliant. Canta Per Me was awesome, but I think I prefer Salva Nos. But this one's my favorite:

It's a little spoiled by the Japanese accent, but it's absolutely chilling as it correlates to Chloe's character. Chloe is one of my favorite characters of all time, not just in Noir. Even her ending was perfect, as sad as it was. She's such a perfect blend of menace, girlishness, and sheer lethal awesomeness. Such a psychotic little thing.

On the third disc of the OST they have a few remixes (some of them sung by the VAs) and Chloe's VA did a remix to Secret Game in Japanese. Fucking brilliant song, it's called Himitsu (secret).

She has a brilliant voice, that chick. She's the most convincing of all the VAs by far. And, really, a perfect song for Chloe. The lyrics are different from Secret Game, more romantic, less stalkerish. And that flute solo at the end - fucking crazy.

While I'm here I'll post one more:

Chloe's Theme. I love how it opens with underwater sound effects. Describes the girl perfectly; drowning, doomed. Right from the beginning she was nothing more than a pawn in Altena's plan. So unfair. This post has made me all sad now. Oh Chloe...

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score

^Probably my favorite track. As for the animation, it sometimes was above average I suppose but overall it didn't really impress me. Do you remember who your favorite character was? My ended up as Mireille by far, though Chloe could've been but the last episodes kind of ruined that. Take it this means you've never seen Gungrave though?

I'm only on episode three of Berserk but I'm enjoying it so far. It does start off similar to Gungrave, with the first episode being set farther ahead in the story before going to the beginning (so to speak) with episode 2. Berserk's first episode was much better though. Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure why I'm enjoying it as much as I am, but I'm really liking it. The OP doesn't fit the show though and is hilarious and the animation is really awful but everything else has been great.

Chloe was my overall favourite, but I agree they fucked it up a bit in the end. I have not seen Gungrave. The animation for Berserk is awful? I guess we have differing opinions on that. As for the quality to the story, you haven't seen anything yet. It really gets crazy from the mid-end of the series.