Official Anime Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
goku-50479.gif
Beerus gonna kick dat arse

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
@Mustafar Reginald

Watching anything new? I don't really watch much aside from what I'm already watching or recommendations.

I just finished watching all the Kara no Kyoukai movies, plus the epilogue. The movies were made by ufotable (Fate/Zero) and the score was done by Yuki Kajiura (Madoka Magica, .Hack). I bring this up because it's easily the best thing about the movies, they all look gorgeous with some fantastic animation (when the movie gets around to the action, sometimes it can be a long slog through long-winded philosophical discussions before you get there) and the score always delivers. Outside of that, the movies are alright, with movie 5 being the only one I hold a strong affection for. The dialogue in the series can at times lack any personality and feel more like you're listening/reading a dissertation on philosophy than watching characters interact which is annoying, especially in movie 1 since we're not giving a lot of context about the characters yet, but I do occasionally find they say some interesting things about them, and I feel future movies get better at handling it.

The movies are also a bit interesting in the fact that they're not in chronological order (though each film mostly depicts a self-contained story, so it's not that big of a deal). I won't say what order they take place in because I found part of the fun watching them was piecing together when they happen. Also, the movie's can be pretty dark, and trigger warning (also spoiler warning I guess), movie 3 opens with a rape scene. It's important to the story and actually my second favorite of the movies, but I've met a few people online who outright refuses to watch anything featuring rape, so I figured it's worth a shot. Anyway, overall I found most of the movies to be pretty enjoyable, a bit boring at times, but I'd say they're a pretty average series of films with some excellent music and animation. Except movie 5 & 6. 6 because is weightless, boring, too light-hearted, about incest sister, and outside of the action sequences being among my favorite in the franchise, I didn't like much here. 5 on the other hand is legitimately one of my favorite anime movies. It has the most interesting directorial quirks to it (a lot of repeated imagery that made an impact, and the middle act [which mostly takes place during the first act] is told out of order and with many scenes repeated, they hid some clever seeds for future reveals by doing this, and the middle act has a lot of necessary exposition in it so the odd "mindfuck: manner of telling it this way made it easier for me to engage), it has the grandest scope, and the new character introduced here had my favorite story in the series. He (Enjou Tomoe) might be my favorite character actually, him or the main girl Shiki, mostly because she has a cool design and is a bad-ass but still has enough depth to her.

Most of the movies are only about an hour long, with 5 & 7 being two hours and 4 being about 40 minutes I think.

Besides that, I watched all of Kyousougiga (it's only 10 episodes). Really excellent series, again fantastic animation and wonderful score, but also entirely unique and at times magical. It's the brainchild of director Rie Matsumoto, who did the first season of Kekkai Sensen/Blood Blockade Battlefront and was actually responsible for the Black/White storyline. If you've seen that, it's a pretty good reference point, there's a lot of similarities both in that plotline and the directing style, less action-focused than Kekkai Sensen but bigger emphasis on the zany and more importantly. I absolutely loved the finale but aside from that, I will note I liked the first five episodes way more than the last five, as the first half was pretty much dedicated to character build-up and focus and the last half was more about the plot. One of the most original series I've seen I think.

I also started Shigurui: Death Frenzy and Flowers of Evil/Aku no Hana, but not much to say about either since I'm not far into them. The former is the backstory of two samurai's who are destined to clash in a death battle, very heavy on atmosphere. The latter's first episode was mostly a decent slice of life with an unsettling vibe creeping up as the episode continued, real interested to see how the plot develops. However, on Flowers of Evil, the most noteworthy thing is that it was made using rotoscoping, which lead to some interesting results. So, so many people write this show off simply because of it's look and while I understand that, personally I'm into anime because of the variety it brings, even though I don't love the look, at least like that it's different.

Love Kaiji! I'm not sure if you know this or not, but we're actually getting a spin-off series this July about Tonegawa.

Reactions: CM Punk and Crash

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

Is it wrong to laugh at this? Probably.

Did I absolutely lose my shit at it? Yes. One would think they would catch this when they dubbed it lol.

I laughed when I read this the first time in the subbed version, this is even more hilarious in the dubbed version! :dawg:

• Haha
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I have been watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam again only on episode 18 of 49. It is my favorite of all the Gundam series, but after it I will probably start watching another Gundam series.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
@Mustafar Reginald
you still read One Piece?

Kinda. I don't really like reading One Piece week-to-week so I put it on-hold for months at times then binge everything I miss (Dressrosa was miserable, it's why I changed my reading approach). The last thing I read was . .

Was Capone Bege offering an alliance with Luffy to take down Big Mom at the wedding I believe. Not only was I caught up at that point, but it felt like the Sanji's character arc at that point had kinda climaxed with Luffy earlier, so I didn't have too much compelling to try reading it week-to-week again. The Sanji drama was excellent btw, so many great character moments. Really helps make up for how poorly he's been treated post-timeskip, as it seemed there he only existed to get worf'd.

Heard Whole Cake Island ended and that the Wano arc Oda's been hyping up for years now is about to start, so I'm probably going to catch up soon.

Reactions: CM Punk

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Oh, that makes sense.

The next arc starting is actually the Reverie, then I believe it's Wano.
Imo, I'd probably rank WCI the best arc post time skip and the future arcs are looking to be better. Don't really wanna spoil anything, but I guess things are shaping up to get crazy real soon.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Aside from One Piece, I'm actually not watching or reading much. I like fell off from watching a lot of stuff, but I'm going to Japan in like 3 weeks so maybe I might start getting into it again?

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Oh, that makes sense.

The next arc starting is actually the Reverie, then I believe it's Wano.
Imo, I'd probably rank WCI the best arc post time skip and the future arcs are looking to be better. Don't really wanna spoil anything, but I guess things are shaping up to get crazy real soon.

Reverie arc? Oh, I remember them setting that up in either WCI or Zou, that sounds pretty interesting. Didn't think it'd get an arc dedicated to it, I'd image a short transition arc with plenty of world-building in it, kinda like Zou was. My favorite post-time skip arc is either Zou or Whole Cake Island, I'd have to finish Whole Cake Island before I can no for sure, but the Sanji content is my favorite thing post-time skip. Though, I don't have the highest opinion on most of the other post-time skip arcs, even though all of them did have great moments.

I just wanted to mention, the twist in the Zou arc that the Minks were protecting Raizo had my jaw hit the floor. I actually think that was one of the best executed twists in the whole series.

*Edit*

Dude, you're going to Japan!? That's awesome.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Reverie arc? Oh, I remember them setting that up in either WCI or Zou, that sounds pretty interesting. Didn't think it'd get an arc dedicated to it, I'd image a short transition arc with plenty of world-building in it, kinda like Zou was. My favorite post-time skip arc is either Zou or Whole Cake Island, I'd have to finish Whole Cake Island before I can no for sure, but the Sanji content is my favorite thing post-time skip. Though, I don't have the highest opinion on most of the other post-time skip arcs, even though all of them did have great moments.

I just wanted to mention, the twist in the Zou arc that the Minks were protecting Raizo had my jaw hit the floor. I actually think that was one of the best executed twists in the whole series.
I think they set it up post Dressrosa? I might be wrong.

Basically will be an arc dedicated to all Kingdoms meeting at the Holy Land Marie Jois. They actually showed us a glimpse of it back at Drum Island.

I'm just gonna say stuff around where you stopped reading so anything I say is actually not really a spoiler, moreso it's probably gonna be information you know or forgot. lol
It's more of me trying to hype you up for the Reverie and Wano.

So from what we know of the Reverie, all kingdoms are going to be there. Which means we'll be seeing Dalton, Dr Kureha, Vivi, Cobra, Shirahoshi, King Neptune, Kyros, Rebecca, etc.

Not even that, but possibly the Gorosei and maybe higher up marines.

Now as for what discussions might go on during the Reverie, we know that Cobra wants to find out more about the void century and poneglyphs. Which is like, to me the most interesting part about One Piece.

So in short, we might find out more about the ancient weapons, etc.

Other topics that might show up is about killing off the seven warlord system which has been discussed many times throughout the series.

Then they'd discuss probably about the Revolutionaries since from what we know, Blackbeard destroyed their main base. Speaking of Revolutionaries, it's been somewhat spoken that they might appear in this arc, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

As for Wano, I think the only reason I'm really looking forward to this is because it'll be the first arc since Punk Hazard or so where they're all together and in action. Also the fact that Wano will have half the supernovas already there, so they'll most likely team up to take on Kaido. Speaking of which, we might also find out more about Gol D. Rogers past. I don't wanna post too much, but then there's stuff like Marco appearing, a huge war breaking out and other shit that just gets me hyped for the future of the series.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
Dude, you're going to Japan!? That's awesome.
yeah, I've wanted to go since I was in high school and I guess right now the timing was just perfect for both myself and my friends as they just finished school.

I think the only places I really wanted to check out were like the One Piece tower and some bars/clubs. My friends made a huge list on where they wanna go, like Akihabara, Ghibli Museum, etc.

Honestly, cost isn't that much, so if you're ever interested in going drop me a pm and I'll like send you the average cost I'm spending there.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I think they set it up post Dressrosa? I might be wrong.

Basically will be an arc dedicated to all Kingdoms meeting at the Holy Land Marie Jois. They actually showed us a glimpse of it back at Drum Island.

I'm just gonna say stuff around where you stopped reading so anything I say is actually not really a spoiler, moreso it's probably gonna be information you know or forgot. lol
It's more of me trying to hype you up for the Reverie and Wano.

So from what we know of the Reverie, all kingdoms are going to be there. Which means we'll be seeing Dalton, Dr Kureha, Vivi, Cobra, Shirahoshi, King Neptune, Kyros, Rebecca, etc.

Not even that, but possibly the Gorosei and maybe higher up marines.

Now as for what discussions might go on during the Reverie, we know that Cobra wants to find out more about the void century and poneglyphs. Which is like, to me the most interesting part about One Piece.

So in short, we might find out more about the ancient weapons, etc.

Other topics that might show up is about killing off the seven warlord system which has been discussed many times throughout the series.

Then they'd discuss probably about the Revolutionaries since from what we know, Blackbeard destroyed their main base. Speaking of Revolutionaries, it's been somewhat spoken that they might appear in this arc, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

As for Wano, I think the only reason I'm really looking forward to this is because it'll be the first arc since Punk Hazard or so where they're all together and in action. Also the fact that Wano will have half the supernovas already there, so they'll most likely team up to take on Kaido. Speaking of which, we might also find out more about Gol D. Rogers past. I don't wanna post too much, but then there's stuff like Marco appearing, a huge war breaking out and other shit that just gets me hyped for the future of the series.

I'm definitely excited for the Reverie arc, and I love that we'll be seeing all those old characters again (especially the Alabasta crew). The idea of an arc centered around this is so appealing, the world-building is the best thing of One Piece, and having so many past characters return like this feels like a justification for One Piece's never-ending length.

Definitely agree with the Void Century/Poneglyphs being the most interesting thing in One Piece. A big part of the reason Robin's one of my favorite characters is because her central arc revolves around it.

Oh man, I forgot about the whole Revolutionaries/Blackbeard thing. I remember being really mad at how little information and insight we got into that incident, since Void Century/Poneglyphs aside, The Revolutionaries are perhaps the most intriguing element for me. Ever since Dragon's first appearance he was a figure that interested me, and as the series developed it's only kept increasing (funnily enough, Robin arguably has more ties to that story arc than even Luffy).

I'm honestly looking forward to reading the Reverie arc way more than Wano but it will be nice to see the whole crew together for once.

yeah, I've wanted to go since I was in high school and I guess right now the timing was just perfect for both myself and my friends as they just finished school.

I think the only places I really wanted to check out were like the One Piece tower and some bars/clubs. My friends made a huge list on where they wanna go, like Akihabara, Ghibli Museum, etc.

Honestly, cost isn't that much, so if you're ever interested in going drop me a pm and I'll like send you the average cost I'm spending there.

I can't imagine I'd have the free time to do that, especially since I'd want a better grasp on the language before I'd go but thanks, I'll keep this in mind if I ever take that flight. I'm not super huge on traveling, but going to Japan at least once would be nice a bucket list item to check off.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
Reaction score
I'm definitely excited for the Reverie arc, and I love that we'll be seeing all those old characters again (especially the Alabasta crew). The idea of an arc centered around this is so appealing, the world-building is the best thing of One Piece, and having so many past characters return like this feels like a justification for One Piece's never-ending length.

Definitely agree with the Void Century/Poneglyphs being the most interesting thing in One Piece. A big part of the reason Robin's one of my favorite characters is because her central arc revolves around it.

Oh man, I forgot about the whole Revolutionaries/Blackbeard thing. I remember being really mad at how little information and insight we got into that incident, since Void Century/Poneglyphs aside, The Revolutionaries are perhaps the most intriguing element for me. Ever since Dragon's first appearance he was a figure that interested me, and as the series developed it's only kept increasing (funnily enough, Robin arguably has more ties to that story arc than even Luffy).

I'm honestly looking forward to reading the Reverie arc way more than Wano but it will be nice to see the whole crew together for once.

I can't imagine I'd have the free time to do that, especially since I'd want a better grasp on the language before I'd go but thanks, I'll keep this in mind if I ever take that flight. I'm not super huge on traveling, but going to Japan at least once would be nice a bucket list item to check off.
I agree with you.
I'm moreso looking forward to what's after Wano actually as well.

I actually don't see them beating Kaido in Wano. It just seems way too soon to take down him after building him up of being unable to die even by the marine's hands. Maybe they don't even beat Kaido. Something like they lose the fight, win the war? Cause from what I remember, the gate or something is closed off in Wano. If they open the gate, they basically win. I see maybe 3-5 more arcs after Wano. One would be Elbaf, then there would Raftel and main villain war. I do think that one arc will be dedicated to them returning to the East Blue for a little bit before heading off for the One Piece. This would be after finding out the void century and whatnot.

I actually don't know the language at all that much tbh. I'm like relying on my friends and from what I know, Tokyo speaks a lot of English as well since it's a tourist city in a sense?