NXT - Weekly TV Show Discussion

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
You mean like talent like Ali who had so much momentum, then they put him on SD and he hasn't gotten the shine after Kofi got instead. I wonder when and if Johnny wins if he is a face or heel most likely a face since he's facing Cole. I wonder who will he face as Champion going forward with some top contenders on his heels or the Champion heels I mean.

Ali is not exactly booked bad per say. Just coming off a WWE Title match on a PPV after only 6 months on the show, you are doing decent. Just the injury derailed him and WWE basically has to capitalize on Kofi now or they are leaving money on the table. We will see in time how bad Ali has it.

And Gargano has turned face now. His moment after the Dusty Rhodes' tag classic loss, standing up to Ciampa was his turn. If Gargano is champion I can see him facing Dominik Dijakovic, maybe Punishment Martinez once they are built more. As well as Keith Lee, the loser of the NA Title match, but in all likelyhood, with all these NXT Call ups and the ones they will probably do after Wrestlemania, they drained NXT... And yet they still have way too many people.

King Ox

Reaction score
11th April 2019 NXT episode rating: 6/10

This NXT episode was not as good as I hoped to be honest, not a sight of Johnny Gargano but oh well. Jaxson Ryker looks very promising, along side his other team members, so I am looking forward to what the writers have in store for them. Also next week is Velveteen Dream v Buddy Murphy for the NXT North American Championship, so that should be MOTN.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Quick note, lets hope that NXT can revive a love for wrestling. :emoji_slight_smile:
With the whole Iiconics group thing happening, lets stop going through the motions and emotions long enough to write about some wrasslin.

April 16:
-Velveteen Dream vs Buddy Murphy was awesome!! If you have some time to spare this is a great way to use it. Dream may be my favorite wrestler to watch right now. At first it felt like another fun character display from Dream with his crazy antics playing a distraction and bringing some creative counters... then he just showed how much of a young hungry talent his is going out and wrestling this match like a dude with a chip on his shoulder, before getting back to his "anything you can do, I can do better" mantra getting in an absolute slugfest and slapping the shit out of Murphy. Great moment there. I love how whenever it felt like I was starting to zone out a bit there was a unique spot to draw me back into it. The slide-in pose with the suicide dive, the jumping sunset flip canadian destroyer reversed into a DVD, the hard-hitting stuff in the middle and even some heat spots at the end. Man, this was good.

As for Murphy, I always love his matches, but this seems par for the course for him. I'm usually more impressed by the other guy, hardly a bad thing but he got plenty of shine here too with some devastating knee strikes and superkicks. He's a beast, but... breaking news.

-I still think the Tommaso Ciampa injury isn't getting enough cred as an all-time terrible WWE decision. This was the biggest match of NXT history and it really isn't close... well, Sasha vs Bayley, but... Maybe this may secretly for the best. Gargano got that incredible match with Adam Cole, but this still has so much more mileage with Gargano vs Ciampa still being on the docket.

As for Gargano's promo, I... really feel like it would have been great to put the storyline stuff on hold for a second. The beatdown by UE is fine and all, but... Actually maybe this was for the best. Johnny Champion really doesn't feel right without beating Ciampa. Johnny hasn't conquered his demons by winning the belt, he really does need closure to the story with Ciampa. This whole thing spitting some top-shelf version of WWE Babyface shit-talk was fun enough, I guess

-I missed a few episodes and have missed the re-debut of Dominik Dijakovic but LMFAO THAT WAS COOL. His little shot at Great Value Rich Swann looked so effortless, but in a way that just made crushing this dude seem easy. I've heard from his ROH days that this dude is no Baron Corbin, so his match with Dream should be a blast!.. This is how you build a match though. Have a match that highlights Dream's strengths and make him feel wonderful.

-Vanessa Borne sucks.

-I'm really going to miss Kairi Sane vs Shayna Baszler. I love the sheer intensity Shayna brings to any match, and seeing playful ass Kairi having to adapt to being a wrestler in a fighter's world is always fun. Shayna's scary as hell, some of the arm breakers she was doing here made me scream. She's so damn good, and I appreciate this feud for not just being an incredible bit of storytelling but how great Shayna's become because of it.

As for the end, that was... interesting. Io Shirai running in and costing Kairi the match would have been great drama had Kairi not been called up to Smackdown... stupid main roster. -_- Kairi could easily look over like... no more title matches... ever. thanks to you. :emoji_slight_frown: But Io was just going in to protect her friend, meanwhile after Shayna smiled really evilly it really got over the right way, then watching Io scream as Shayna breaks Kairi's hand on the way out the door was pretty heartwrenching. This feud is going to be amazing.

This whole ending could have went so badly so easily, but they nailed it.

9/10

April 24:

-It's not just because I don't want to watch them, but I seriously think the Forgotten Sons should be the next team called up. Hell, I'd replace the War Raiders with them. You don't call up the damn War Raiders for depth, but these three stompy dudes are perfectly fine filler match people for hour 2 of Raw. This feud with Oney and Danny seems fine I guess.

-Gargano playing Ciampa-level mindgames trying to create a divide between Cole and Strong is fun psychology if they want to play with it. I'd love to see Gargano doing more of his heel-like schtick, because he hasn't had closure yet. Let the evil flow through you, Johnny.

-Catanzaro? Star of the Women's Royal Rumble? Cool. Her little brief flashes of offense I've seen from her remind me of Charlotte when she started, when she was using her gymnastics background to hit offense while learning how to be a "wrestler". One submission escape spot, pulling off a quality hot tag escape spot before LaRae just mops the floor with both of them en route to a W. Valuable experience for the newbies here was accrued

-I usually like Cathy Kelly but wow what a lousy interview. "Io, last week your best friend got brutally attacked and made you watch, how do you feel?" Holy cow you couldn't have given less of a shit if she was interviewing me. "Hey Snow how do you like your eggs?" Sunny side up I guess. Oh, there's a beatdown? That's cool.

-War Raiders vs Street Profits was a lot of fun! Montez Ford is such an absolute beast, it's a shame that the top of the card in WWE as a whole is so loaded that it feels like he has to be "tied down" with this tag team. Profits tried their best to strategically get an advantage at first, then just fought back but the two trees were just too much...but man, I wish we got tag sprints on the main roster. GET WITH THE DAMN TIMES. WE NEED THIS. THIS WAS EPIC. War Raiders are insanely good. How are they doing on the main roster? Even ignoring the name change? Terrible, I assume?

-Johnny Gargano vs Roderick Strong was pretty damn good. I've always struggled with Roddy's single's matches, so the more you like those the more you'll like this. Think the main issue I had was that I was just waiting for the finish - likely because it's 4:30 AM lol. Maybe on a fresh viewing this is better. And again, let the hate flow through you! Get in peoples' heads, cause them to question their friends, their allies... good johnny...

6/10

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
You mean the incredibly talented gymnast/rock climber lady?

Yeah...she has talent & looks the part...almost like if Alexa Bliss
had Charlotte's in-ring skill.

She was impressive...most impressive.

*Thinks*

She's no Dakota Kai though...

Having the Royal Rumble being your 4th televised match and with millions watching at home, being in that big arena for the first time with all eyes on the new chick, and then going out and flying over the top to grab onto the turnbuckle and flip-rana someone on the way back in... That takes an unbelievable display of ladyballs.

One of the gutsiest performances I've seen since Angelico was balcony diving

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Okay...so a few notes from this weeks NXT...

~ I still don't "get" Bianca Belair & I have a feeling she will be the next Ember Moon...
meaning she won't win the NXT women's title until Shayna is moved to the main roster.
~ I like Mia Yim...I have since the first moment I laid eyes on her...
~ The Forgotten Sons just feel like a generic Sanity to me...
~ I still cannot stand Matt Riddle...and I'm kind of shocked he went over Adam Cole here...
&
~ While I'm sure it will lead to some excellent matches I think breaking up the Undisputed Era
is HUGE mistake at this point in time. Shouldn't the narrative be that Roddy Strong is kicked
out seeing as he isn't an original member?

I don't know...

NXT is starting to fall a little flat for me...even though I'm sure the next TakeOver will still be
excellent as they always are.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
So instead of pushing Io right, WWE is going messing her up pretty bad and I can say I ain't digging it. Also, the rumor is that Io will face Shayana in a Triple Threat at NXT Toronto with the third person being Candice, which is dumb on levels.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
So instead of pushing Io right, WWE is going messing her up pretty bad and I can say I ain't digging it. Also, the rumor is that Io will face Shayana in a Triple Threat at NXT Toronto with the third person being Candice, which is dumb on levels.

After seeing spoilers, I can say, that is not true. Keep eyes on NXT TV and they may be doing something big with Io and a different title match will happen.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
After seeing spoilers, I can say, that is not true. Keep eyes on NXT TV and they may be doing something big with Io and a different title match will happen.
Yeah, just say the spoilers as well and talked to someone who keeps up with it on a daily basis and it has changed and such, but still WWE isn't using Io right, in my opinion.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
As much as I kind of like Io being Heel, I feel like that is the default thing for WWE to do. Oh, a foreign face is getting over, time to turn them heel to protect Triple H 5.0.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
So...Io Nice Thighs turns hell...and I think my apathy for
the main roster has finally bled over to NXT because I
just don't care.

NXT has been completely gutted of talent recently &
some of their recent booking decisions have left me
scratching my head.

I'm sick of Johnny Gargano not being able to hang on to a title...
I'm sick of Shayna Baszler needing help to win matches...
I'm sick of the women's division being so shallow...
I'm sick of Io Shirai loosing matches...

& mostly I'm sick of incredibly talented wrestlers being drafted
to the main roster for no real reason when they could be part
of something truly special in NXT.

I'm just sick of all of it.

I couldn't even get through the last TakeOver in its entirety
because I knew the results & I didn't want to see Gargano
& Shirai loose AGAIN.

I think I'm done with the yellow brand...