Not To Be Heartless..

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
But Jerry Lawler being gone from behind the announce booth and being replaced by JR has been one of the most refreshing and enjoyable little touches to RAW in what seems forever. It really hit home to me last night during The Miz / Kofi bout because I thought both announcers did an awesome job during this. Granted, by this time I was watching the show in bed so it had my undivided attention but I honestly felt as though the guy were trying to make a star out of Kofi in particular, rather than just looking at a script and calling the match. The way they mentioned his past with Orton, having IT, needing to get more aggressive etc I thought was superb and if im being honest, something which wouldn't have been achieved with The King there instead of JR because the guy is so many years past his sell by date and just seems out of touch.

So basically, what do you guys think of the quality of announcing since The King's unfortunate accident? Also, did anyone else notice or pay particular attention to the commentary during the Miz/Kofi match.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I think a lot of it has to do with Cole though. He's not doing his heel thing and neither is JR to commentators commentating is the key here. Now how much of Jerry being the heel as of late bashing cole is McMahon and how much of it is Lawler who knows. But I think it's key because I don't really enjoy JR on the mic all that much he makes too many errors.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
It's a lot better because of what was said that Cole is now back to just being a commentator rather than trying to be a personality which doesn't work when your job is play by play not color commentary. Part of it is also King just isn't that good anymore and doesn't do a good job at putting over the matches and the stories. So while I'm glad King is doing fine and all I"m not exactly pushing for him to return to commentary because commentary is back to how it is supposed to be.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Jerry hasn't really brought anything to the table in years. Cole and JR is working great! I think with the added bonus that Cole isn't everywhere, he can focus a little more on Raw and not be tired out from all the other shows. I mean, even JR/Lawler was getting boring. If Lawler was the heel guy, it would be different, as I always enjoyed his heel commentating. In my opinion, Lawler needs to keep away.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Honestly haven't enjoyed King since late 2000 or so. He has his moments during Evolution, but he's just not a face commentator. He was good as a heel one because it was okay for him to bury the faces then since he was heel, but as a face/neutral commentator he buries the heels so much, which is really something he shouldn't do because at the same time, Cole's not getting them over worth shit, or at least he wasn't at the time when it was him and King. JR's time is gone, I believe, as much as I like him, I don't see him staying for long anyway, but man, I really hope JBL stays.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
I was most surprised that they were in Nashville last night and didn't mention Jerry once... I thought for sure he'd come out and do the "hey, thanks for the support, I'm getting better day by day. I'll be back when I'm cleared and healthier" appearance live.

Chris Dresdon

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
But Jerry Lawler being gone from behind the announce booth and being replaced by JR has been one of the most refreshing and enjoyable little touches to RAW in what seems forever. It really hit home to me last night during The Miz / Kofi bout because I thought both announcers did an awesome job during this. Granted, by this time I was watching the show in bed so it had my undivided attention but I honestly felt as though the guy were trying to make a star out of Kofi in particular, rather than just looking at a script and calling the match. The way they mentioned his past with Orton, having IT, needing to get more aggressive etc I thought was superb and if im being honest, something which wouldn't have been achieved with The King there instead of JR because the guy is so many years past his sell by date and just seems out of touch.

So basically, what do you guys think of the quality of announcing since The King's unfortunate accident? Also, did anyone else notice or pay particular attention to the commentary during the Miz/Kofi match.

That particular bit of commentary stood out to me too. I was surprised they brought up the Boom Drop through the table onto Orton, I did a double take when that was mentioned, it was cool. Cole and J.R. work well together now that Michael's not constantly insulting him, save the digs for the three-man team of those two and JBL.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Refreshing maybe, but I must admit that JR isn't quite what he used to be. Now he just smiles at the camera with his ridiculous goatee when its his turn and doesn't say anything particularly substantial. I waaay prefer JBL chewing Cole out.

Still, it always feels right listening to JR.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I agree with most the thread.

Cole's heel persona circa late 2010/early 2011 was great though IMO, if it wasn't for him then Lawler would of been even more unbearable.

Two of the better commentary teams in recent years are all under contract at the moment (JR & Heyman, JBL & Cole), shame there isn't a 4 man booth.

Reaction score
I'm just sad that they're acting like Lawler may come back. I don't want that has-been racist sexist piece of shit anywhere near my WWE programming. Hopefully he never comes back.

Mick Donalds

Banned
Reaction score
When has Lawler been racist, lol? Granted I don't know all the ins and outs of his Memphis days.

Reaction score
Dude before they went PG I've heard tons of racist comments on commentary from him.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Reaction score
That fan had it coming. Please. He was dicking with Punk before the guy behind him reached under his arm and smacked Punk. Sour fucking grapes that he got smacked for it.