NJPW to invade ROH in May

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Postman Dave

Reaction score
[video=youtube;azptCGFyEP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azptCGFyEP8[/video]​

- Today at the Ring of Honor "Honorcon" event in Philadelphia, it was announced that the company will hold a two-day event with New Japan Pro Wrestling in May. The "Ring of Honor vs New Japan" battle takes place on May 10 at Border Wars in Toronto and then again on May 17 at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, New York.

The announcement was made by Ring of Honor COO Joe Koff and former star, trainer and booker Delirious. New Japan chairman Naoki Sugabayashi and his translator Tiger Hatori were also present

411mania

Pretty big news on the indies today.

Sure it'll be awesome, but the only matches I wanna see Tanahashi & Okada in are against Elgin, Hero & maybe Styles. Not really clamouring to see a lot of other matches, although I'm sure they'll be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castiel

Reaction score
I heard KUSHIDA is coming back but not Shelley. Be awesome to have him return to ROH and see Time Splitters take on someone like ReDragon but I guess they want to just focus on actual Japanese guys.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Sucks that neither Shelley nor Bullet Club will be over, but I guess that means we have something to hope for in case they do this again?

Castiel

Reaction score
ROH obviously fears Bullet Club.

For the record though, it apparently will be IWGP Champion Kazuchika Okada, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA, Gedo, and Jado coming over. Possibly(hopefully) Shinsuke Nakamura as well.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Liger has been confirmed too, which is pretty sweet.

Castiel

Reaction score
Added the announcement video to the opening post. Solid production on the video too. Karl Anderson and The Young Bucks have been added as representitives of Bullet Club as well. No word on Devitt yet though. I hear IWGP Junior Heavyweight champ Kota Ibushi will also be over. Seems they have the champions of NJPW covered so we're really getting the best they have to offer.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Some updates:

- Pretty much all the NJPW talent have been confirmed now

- AJ Styles is confirmed for the shows

- Global Wars will feature Kevin Steen challenging for the ROH World Championship

- Okada will defend the NJPW title at War Of The Worlds against the winner of Steen/Elgin from Supercard of Honor. I'd be fine with either match, although odds are on Elgin since I can't see Steen challenging for titles both shows

Shows are coming together nicely so far.