NFL 2011 Off-Season thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
facepalm.gif

I don't give a crap about a white Mike Vick.

Newton will be starting against the Steelers next week.

Kairi

Reaction score
anyone watching falcons/steelers

Killswitch

Reaction score
It was a stupid article imo. He'd be viewed the same as he is now and the same as (white) Ben Roethlisberger.... a scum bag. So sick of race baiting articles in the main stream media. Racism is still an issue in bigoted ignorant pockets but the way the mainstream media portrays it you'd think America was the most racist place on earth. So sick of this agenda.

Aaron Rodgers

Reaction score
I love you.

I wish I knew about these websites yesterday so I could have watched Packers/Colts.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
Vick agree to six-year, $100 million deal with Eagles.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Unless Vick gets to the point Mcnabb got to where he didn't need to run to be a great QB that is gonna end up being a overpaid deal. Good for Vick though to be able to go from making a 100 mill to prison to making a 100 mill again a few years later.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The Indianapolis Colts said Monday that doctors have told quarterback Peyton Manning not to practice this week in advance of the season opener on Sunday as he continues to recover from offseason neck surgery.

The team said in its statement that Manning's status against the Houston Texans "will likely be doubtful."

Manning's triceps strength has plateaued and he doesn't have the arm strength right now, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. Manning also had some back soreness that worsened during the weekend.

Manning and the team are awaiting further evaluations from doctors and neurosurgeons regarding his condition. They will follow NFL protocol and will update his condition later in the week.

The Colts currently have no plans to attempt another surgery on Manning's neck, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"As of now Peyton continues to deal with a complicated neurological recovery, the end date of which is unpredictable," the team said in the statement.

"As was stated at the outset, it serves no useful purpose to speculate about hypothetical outcomes. When and if there are concrete medical facts to report we will do so."

The Colts activated Manning from the physically-unable-to-perform list on Aug. 29 and cleared him to practice on a limited basis. However, sources said Sunday that he has not been able to throw anywhere near his pre-surgery capacity. Manning had been on the PUP list since the team's first training camp practice on Aug. 1 following the May procedure to repair a nerve in his neck.

Manning missed the entire preseason for only the second time in his career. He also sat out in 2008 after he needed surgery twice to remove an infected bursa sac in his left knee.

He struggled during the first half of that season before leading the Colts to nine consecutive wins, back to the playoffs and picked up his third MVP award.This time, it could be different.

On Aug. 20, Manning ruled himself out of the final two preseason games and acknowledged he would need "every bit" of the remaining time to get healthy enough to play in the opener.

"I have made progress, but I still have some work to do," he said then. "When I'm healthy enough, I'll be able to play."
Manning had surgery on the neck in May.

Back then, Irsay wrote on Twitter that he expected his No. 1 quarterback to return within six to eight weeks.But the NFL's 4½-month lockout prevented Manning from working out with team trainers, something Manning said contributed to his slow recovery.

The Colts had enough concerns about Manning's health and apparently the ability of backup Curtis Painter to win games that they brought Kerry Collins out of retirement a little less than two weeks ago.

While coach Jim Caldwell said the Colts will practice without Manning on Monday -- and for however long they must- he also inferred it's not time to write off Manning or his streak

"It's been an incredible feat," Caldwell said. "He's been an iron man, there's no other way to put it. It's doubtful that he plays this week, but it takes a very unusual individual to have that streak."

Collins said he has gotten comfortable in the offense and will be ready if he has to become the first quarterback other than Manning to start for the Colts since Jim Harbaugh in 1997.

Fortunately for the Colts, Collins already knows the Texans fairly well from his most recent stop at Tennessee. And while he joined the Colts knowing he might have to replace Manning, he wasn't sure it would ever happen.

"I thought the first week might be a possibility with Peyton's status so uncertain," Collins said. "There's no way I can replace someone like Peyton and what he means for this team and this franchise. But I will bust my butt to get ready and I hope the guys see that."
Manning has never missed a meaningful NFL game. He's made 227 consecutive starts, including playoffs, since Indy selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in 1998.

That's the second-longest streak among quarterbacks in league history, behind only Brett Favre.His 208 consecutive regular-season starts are the most among active players. If Manning can't start Sunday, Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Ronde Barber, who has started 179 straight games, would take over the top spot if he starts Sunday against the Detroit Lions

ESPN.com

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
METAIRIE, La. -- The New Orleans Saints have given coach Sean Payton a contract extension through 2015.
The team said Monday that Payton has agreed to the deal.

Payton took over as coach in 2006 and led the Saints to the NFC South title. Three years later, he guided them to their first conference championship, and they beat Indianapolis in the Super Bowl.

Payton has a 53-33 record, including the postseason, with New Orleans.

"Our goal is to continue to build a tradition of winning here in New Orleans and Sean represents that tradition," Saints owner Tom Benson said.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
The agent for Tiki Barber told Sports Illustrated's website Sunday that he is "flabbergasted" that no NFL teams gave his client a shot to make their squads this offseason.

The 36-year-old former New York Giants running back surprisingly retired in 2006 to pursue a broadcasting career. Then, just as surprisingly, he decided to give the NFL another shot this season.

"We are flabbergasted that Tiki has not had an opportunity with any team, especially when rosters were at 90 players this year," agent Mark Lepselter told SI.com. "I certainly thought some team would be intrigued to see what he had left in the tank.''

The NFL allowed teams to have 90 players in training camps this year due to the shortened offseason created by the lockout. Teams had to get down to the mandatory 53-player limit by Saturday.

The Miami Dolphins were the only team Barber worked out for once the lockout ended.
Barber is the Giants' career rushing leader with 10,449 yards, 22nd best in league history. He told HBO Sports in June that he has battled depression after his retirement and that he hoped to play again in the NFL to restore his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.