New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I know water is wet and all, but goodness gracious that WK13 card.

Let's see: the Main event between Omega and Tanahashi, even if the build isn't a "heated match," if Kenny is staying in New Japan, can be the start of a great larger feud, if not, then at least it'll make this match special with two great workers.

Jericho vs Naito II, they had a great match last time, Jericho is one of the few good "part-timers" in wrestling today and they can deliver still and Naito I've been growing to like more and more since I started to follow New Japan.

Switchblade vs Okada can be either Okada's return to main event form, or Jay White's arrival, and I will say the only thing Jay White lacks compared to most the other top dogs in New Japan is that he hasn't had a "Five Star" clash yet (not in Meltzer terms, but considering how much he gives to New Japan, maybe a little). Other than that, he has a great look, is confident on the mic, has a great character, is a master at drawing heat and New Japan needs to protect him before WWE realizes what they could have in him.

Kushida vs Ishimori, just a great match on paper, period.

Cody vs Juice... This is probably weaker only because of Cody's injury, but considering they faced at WK two years ago and now they are fighting for a heavyweight title, shows how far Cody's gone to prove himself since leaving WWE and Juice has really shot up in relevancy.

Both Tag Team Triple Threats are going to be fun.

Tomohiro Ishii vs ZSJ? You take a thicc strong man against a guy who does speedy-bendy things, a great clash of styles

And Kota Ibushi vs Will Ospreay... Insert Randy from South Park

0*gO-kAFuxQ990ZGJo.gif

This may finally revive my love of wrestling again! (In time to be disappointed for the Royal Rumble unless Kenny Omega shows up ala AJ Styles and kicks ass)

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
too bad most of thse matches are predactable and outcome/moves are too easy to predict as well.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
They are a bit predictable...

I think there is a difference between good predictable and bad predictable. If it is a predictable ending, but a well-crafted story along the way, then it is not bad, potentially great. If it is a rough story you don't buy into, then it is a slog. For New Japan, even at their average, is pretty strong. I mean, sure, Tanahashi is likely winning with Omega not resigning yet, the Young Bucks are not winning the Heavyweight tag titles, Naito is likely regaining the IC title, along with everyone's fav man with deadlocks, the flamboyant Juice Robinson, getting the US title from Mr. Nightmare, but a lot of the matches themselves will be, on paper, will be solid. I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I think there is a difference between good predictable and bad predictable. If it is a predictable ending, but a well-crafted story along the way, then it is not bad, potentially great. If it is a rough story you don't buy into, then it is a slog. For New Japan, even at their average, is pretty strong. I mean, sure, Tanahashi is likely winning with Omega not resigning yet, the Young Bucks are not winning the Heavyweight tag titles, Naito is likely regaining the IC title, along with everyone's fav man with deadlocks, the flamboyant Juice Robinson, getting the US title from Mr. Nightmare, but a lot of the matches themselves will be, on paper, will be solid. I'm looking forward to seeing the show.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Man isn't it great in 2019 to be saying "This show's gonna be great!" and know there isn't too much to analyze? Like I could rip apart Okada vs Jay White and talk about how I don't care about the storyline, but at the end of the day I'm sure to forget it anyway because we'll all be raving about another epic NJPW show. Can't wait, got my vacation day and my caffinated beverages ready.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Unpopular Opinion: He isn't the marketing genius he is, but if you're really trying to draw the States, Juice might be a better top guy for US shows than Cody... To get chewed up and spit out in a way that nobody saw any potential in you in NXT, to going to New Japan and being a very solid guy on the roster...

Well it probably isn't better than Cody technically, but it is for me

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Unpopular Opinion: He isn't the marketing genius he is, but if you're really trying to draw the States, Juice might be a better top guy for US shows than Cody... To get chewed up and spit out in a way that nobody saw any potential in you in NXT, to going to New Japan and being a very solid guy on the roster...

Well it probably isn't better than Cody technically, but it is for me

With Cody likely focusing on AEW, let the Juice Loose as a rising American face, but hey, who is to say there can only be one face of a brand? Even if one gets a bit more spotlight at time due to a title or a fued, you can keep things fresh.

Reactions: Snowman1

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Jay White is great. His promos on this tour have all been fantastic, especially the one after the first Sapporo show.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I know this is old news but NJPW President Harold Meij is assuring New Japan fans that it will not become WWE-style wrestling. There were complaints about the booking for last year's G1 Climax. The article states, "In addition to the frequent interference from Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale and Tanga Loa, Jay White also frequently used interference and American-style wrestling tactics. Meij became involved in the proceedings, helping to have the Firing Squad ejected from the building the final night." Apparently, Meij thinks he's Jack Tunney.

NJPW President Promises They Won't Become "American Wrestling" - SEScoops

Last edited:

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Welp, New Japan is in the Cut Throat Era.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Kota Ibushi has announced he is staying put in NJPW. He's not jumping ship to join his partner Kenny Omega in All Elite.

Kota Ibushi isn’t going anywhere

Great for New Japan and a smart move for Kota. He gets to stay in his home country, with there seemingly being a begining of a shift of the main event scene he has a chance to get in, and I am sure if he wants to go to America, AEW as long as they go off well, will still be open for him.