New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Tanahashi winning was the right call IMO. He still has a connection with the fanbase that Omega and Okada can honestly just dream about. Both of those guys are beloved but Tanahashi is BELOVED. This is obviously being done to put over Kenny at the dome but if they really wanted to do something with the Okada breaking down story they could have Tanahashi, his eternal rival taking the biggest price in the company at the biggest show of the year.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I finished watching the Kenny Omega vs. Kota Ibushi match in the G1. What a great, great match between the Golden Lovers. It's admirable how Omega is able to put over his friend Ibushi and still be popular with the fans. It's a sign of an all-time great that he's doesn't have to win each and every match just to be "over."

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Gedo and Jay White together.

First Bullet Club, now Chaos, all the factions don't feel so good, Mr. Stark.

• Haha
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Well fuck, Switchblade Jay White is part of the Bullet Club OGs. I think this is a good sign that New Japan is really building Jay up to take that top foreigner spot because clearly, WWE is busting their asses to sign a lot of the Elite.

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
Oh, by the way, how come the Japanese are so accomodating with Americans wrestling in their companies? Do the American wrestlers speak any Japanese or do they hire interpreters to do their bidding?

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I finished watching the finals of the G1 Climax this weekend. The match between Kota Ibushi and Hiroshi Tanahashi was vicious! I can't believe a 41-year old can take all those chops from Kota. I did want Kota to win, though, as it was the right moment for him to win the G1.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Oh, by the way, how come the Japanese are so accomodating with Americans wrestling in their companies? Do the American wrestlers speak any Japanese or do they hire interpreters to do their bidding?

Most are part of stables with Japanese native wrestlers, some like Jay White now and ZSJ have Gedo and Taka Michinoku doing promos in front of the crowd for then, but a large majority literally just speak English and keep it simple in front of the crowd. But in backstage interviews, all gloves are off.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Most of the non-japanese speakers are on Heel Stables so they speak their mother's tongue to add heat to themselves.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
The whole Jay White thing is so weird to me, watching White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi is why I don't do star ratings, the first 10 minutes of Jay having control was boring as piss but even at 41 Tanahashi comebacks always make me feel like a kid again, so no rating feels right lol.

But they've put so much into him, he's the guy who Okada chose to take under his wing for the world to question why Chaos would want a piece of the Switchblade, only to nutshot everyone and throw steel chairs around like a typical Westerner. After cheating his ass off in the G1 and pissing off the rest of Chaos, he finally gets Gedo on his side and sides with the BC OG's, making a superfaction of backstabbers who can fight Okada (and by extension Tanahashi) and Omega and have heat with most of the top of the card guys...

It's really interesting seeing all the backstory and all the pieces coming into play here and all but White just isn't that good lol

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Apparently, the morale in NJPW is low due to new management and now some of the wrestlers who thought about going to WWE are actually considering it, so RIP to their careers and those who have never taught of WWE may be considering it as well, so RIP to their careers as well.

Snowman1

Reaction score
I can't think of anything I want to see less than the Elite in WWE

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I can't think of anything I want to see less than the Elite in WWE
Why they would do so well? Kenny gets feed to the BIG DAWG, Cody will be stuck in the middle, THe Bucks will be lost in shit tag team division, and Page will just be there. That sounds awesome to me, lol.

Snowman1

Reaction score
Why they would do so well? Kenny gets feed to the BIG DAWG, Cody will be stuck in the middle, THe Bucks will be lost in shit tag team division, and Page will just be there. That sounds awesome to me, lol.

Bingo.

My main fear is for NJPW. As much as they'll just rebound, just like they rebounded from losing Styles and Nakamura by letting Naito and Omega fill their shoes, it just feels like the wrestling business as a whole needs all these guys to keep doing everything they're doing, from All In to being the fifth guy to prove himself elite enough to win the IWGP Championship to being a exciting underdog who's fun to rally around to doing everything it is the Bucks do (including psychology, goobs), I'm still quaking from the blow Nakamura gave us because he weirdly went from one of New Japan's best to honestly one of WWE's worst. Removing himself from wrestling for the most part.

It's weird though because of how the companies operate anyone's replacable (largely since Gedo's booking can get most guys over, as well as give us the faith to get behind guys) but in storyline having the Elite out of the picture leaves Chaos + Tanahashi to feud with the Bullet Club OG's and that sounds like it blows significantly more

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Bingo.

My main fear is for NJPW. As much as they'll just rebound, just like they rebounded from losing Styles and Nakamura by letting Naito and Omega fill their shoes, it just feels like the wrestling business as a whole needs all these guys to keep doing everything they're doing, from All In to being the fifth guy to prove himself elite enough to win the IWGP Championship to being a exciting underdog who's fun to rally around to doing everything it is the Bucks do (including psychology, goobs), I'm still quaking from the blow Nakamura gave us because he weirdly went from one of New Japan's best to honestly one of WWE's worst. Removing himself from wrestling for the most part.

It's weird though because of how the companies operate anyone's replacable (largely since Gedo's booking can get most guys over, as well as give us the faith to get behind guys) but in storyline having the Elite out of the picture leaves Chaos + Tanahashi to feud with the Bullet Club OG's and that sounds like it blows significantly more
Yeah...not much else I can say because you nailed everything on the head. Though I will add the main thing also about them leaving NJPW, RoH, or whatever is that yes it will a huge blow them and those companies as well, but it would also show that WWE is scared of the rising popularity of Indy, Japanese, Mexican, and more wrestling that they will try to "steal" the top guys just so "they" can have them, you know, and destroy them as a way of showing dominance and to show "Hey we are the top guys around here and shit." If that doesn't make sense then blame my pain medicine. I know, I have said that plenty of times and people are like whatever, but honestly think about it. Anytime a huge Indy star, a Japanese star, and so forth is up for grabs WWE push them for a little bit then screw them over in the end. Shinsuke was a good wrestler in NJPW and now he is a meme for Dong Style and what not. Joe was a hell of a wrestler, and now he is a Daddy Joke.