New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
If you are enjoying what NJPW is offering right now, try to find a lot of their older items and trust me you will fall in love especially the Junior Heavyweights.

Caught several of their shows as they were going on over the last few years, Hiromu is an all-caps BEAST.
It's weird to watch Ospreay though, since I've heard so much raving about the guy, he's still a human being haha
He can do some unbelievable spots (and tell stories) but I just always expect even more of him... not because he's not great but geez lol
Definitely keeping watching!

Does anyone else they are building to either a Chaos split with one side being Jay White and the other Okada or an Okada and Jay White feud? I am fine either way with it as Jay has been improving and I think it will be fun to watch.

Alos, what is with Okada and the ballons now, lol?

You can never enjoy The Redmaker ascending again if he never goes through a midlife crisis lol

Also lol @ Snow for typing that big thing, then immediately turning on that epic upset that started night 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
How are y'all liking this tourney so far?
I am really enjoying it, honestly. A lot of the matches have ranged from good to decent. Plus, all the new stories that are going to happen or they are building up to seem pretty good.

What do you think?

Snowman1

Reaction score
I am really enjoying it, honestly. A lot of the matches have ranged from good to decent. Plus, all the new stories that are going to happen or they are building up to seem pretty good.

What do you think?

Don't do star ratings, but I don't think any match of the tournament has went below three stars.
There's been a few that have been underwhelming but even stuff like Firing Squad runins and Yano's chaos add variety to the shows.

I just like that it feels like straight sports. So many stories just feel natural. And every loss isn't the end of the world.
Think my main complaint is that as much fun as the B-Block is, so many amazing guys have been eliminated already because nobody can stop Omega

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Don't do star ratings, but I don't think any match of the tournament has went below three stars.
There's been a few that have been underwhelming but even stuff like Firing Squad runins and Yano's chaos add variety to the shows.

I just like that it feels like straight sports. So many stories just feel natural. And every loss isn't the end of the world.
Think my main complaint is that as much fun as the B-Block is, so many amazing guys have been eliminated already because nobody can stop Omega
I think you described why WWE is failing with its fans, lol. In all honesty, I feel you on the star ratings, the Firing Squad parts, and that it feels like a straight sport and the stories/feuds feel right, or natural as you put it. So would you say Omega is the NJPW Roman or Brock then, lol?

Snowman1

Reaction score
I think you described why WWE is failing with its fans, lol. In all honesty, I feel you on the star ratings, the Firing Squad parts, and that it feels like a straight sport and the stories/feuds feel right, or natural as you put it. So would you say Omega is the NJPW Roman or Brock then, lol?

I'd compare him more to AJ Styles if anyone

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Snowman1

Reaction score

This should be fun... for entertainment purposes only...

B Block:

Kenny Omega: AJ Styles (Natural champ, star rating ace, guy you simply believe is the best guy in the company)
Tetsuya Naito: Seth Rollins (Stellar combo offense, very reliable wrestler who sometimes steps up and gives you amazing stuff)
Kota Ibushi: Cedric Alexander (Known for his high-flying acumen, but is a jack of all trades. Still hard to beat in a striking battle or on the mat)
SANADA: Cesaro (Sneakily athletic, tough, jack of all trades guy who's an amazing "base" and counter-wrestler who works great with everyone)
Zach Sabre, Jr: Daniel Bryan (Closest thing WWE has to a submission ace)
Tomohiro Ishii: Samoa Joe (There's no WWE comparison to Ishii lol, so may as well pick the big dude who can take a beating and get up and chop you to fuck)
Hirooki Goto: Bobby Lashley (Really tough dude who can overpower you and always feels like he's just on the verge of greatness, but missing something)
Toru Yano: No Way Jose (Just pick the comedy guy on the roster lol. Jose is secretly a powerhouse, much like Yano's amateur background)
Juice Robinson: Rusev (Lovable dork with infectious charisma. Gets just enough wins to make us mark out whenever the guy gets one)
Tama Tonga: Jey Uso (Great athlete, islander tag team ace, charismatic as hell)

A Block:

Hiroshi Tanahashi: John Cena (Seems too easy. The old ace who's kayfabe 90% of what he used to be, but Tanahashi's selling is so damn good.)
Kazuchika Okada: Roman Reigns (Or at least, what Roman Reigns should be. The Balloonmaker having his reign as The Guy, overstepping the last guy fairly easily, always winning quality matches and then going into a crisis when he doesn't win... Yeah.)
EVIL: Sheamus (The more of a hoss you put this guy against, the better his matches are. Loves to fight, loves to take damage, loves to step up and fight back)
Jay White: Shinsuke Nakamura (The heel Nak who's out here screwing around and ball-shotting people because he can, even if he's good enough to win without it)
Minoru Suzuki.. Not even gonna try lol
Bad Luck Fale: Kevin Owens (Dangerous big man who kayfabe doesn't care if he gets DQ'ed if he hurts someone)
Michael Elgin: Braun Strowman (Scary strong big lug who always seems like a tough out because while he can be outsmarted, he can wreck you in a snap)
Togi Makabe: Kane (The old veteran is far away from his main event days but still delivers powerful offense)
Hangman Page: Finn Balor (All the "potential" in the world but isn't on the level of the other top guys)
YOSHI-HASHI: Randy Orton (Spectacular veteran who's great at timing and pacing once every blue moon when he gives a damn)

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I'd compare him more to AJ Styles if anyone
I know, but I have seen people compare Omega to Roman and even Brock.

This should be fun... for entertainment purposes only...

B Block:

Kenny Omega: AJ Styles (Natural champ, star rating ace, guy you simply believe is the best guy in the company)
Tetsuya Naito: Seth Rollins (Stellar combo offense, very reliable wrestler who sometimes steps up and gives you amazing stuff)
Kota Ibushi: Cedric Alexander (Known for his high-flying acumen, but is a jack of all trades. Still hard to beat in a striking battle or on the mat)
SANADA: Cesaro (Sneakily athletic, tough, jack of all trades guy who's an amazing "base" and counter-wrestler who works great with everyone)
Zach Sabre, Jr: Daniel Bryan (Closest thing WWE has to a submission ace)
Tomohiro Ishii: Samoa Joe (There's no WWE comparison to Ishii lol, so may as well pick the big dude who can take a beating and get up and chop you to f*ck)
Hirooki Goto: Bobby Lashley (Really tough dude who can overpower you and always feels like he's just on the verge of greatness, but missing something)
Toru Yano: No Way Jose (Just pick the comedy guy on the roster lol. Jose is secretly a powerhouse, much like Yano's amateur background)
Juice Robinson: Rusev (Lovable dork with infectious charisma. Gets just enough wins to make us mark out whenever the guy gets one)
Tama Tonga: Jey Uso (Great athlete, islander tag team ace, charismatic as hell)

A Block:

Hiroshi Tanahashi: John Cena (Seems too easy. The old ace who's kayfabe 90% of what he used to be, but Tanahashi's selling is so damn good.)
Kazuchika Okada: Roman Reigns (Or at least, what Roman Reigns should be. The Balloonmaker having his reign as The Guy, overstepping the last guy fairly easily, always winning quality matches and then going into a crisis when he doesn't win... Yeah.)
EVIL: Sheamus (The more of a hoss you put this guy against, the better his matches are. Loves to fight, loves to take damage, loves to step up and fight back)
Jay White: Shinsuke Nakamura (The heel Nak who's out here screwing around and ball-shotting people because he can, even if he's good enough to win without it)
Minoru Suzuki.. Not even gonna try lol
Bad Luck Fale: Kevin Owens (Dangerous big man who kayfabe doesn't care if he gets DQ'ed if he hurts someone)
Michael Elgin: Braun Strowman (Scary strong big lug who always seems like a tough out because while he can be outsmarted, he can wreck you in a snap)
Togi Makabe: Kane (The old veteran is far away from his main event days but still delivers powerful offense)
Hangman Page: Finn Balor (All the "potential" in the world but isn't on the level of the other top guys)
YOSHI-HASHI: Randy Orton (Spectacular veteran who's great at timing and pacing once every blue moon when he gives a damn)
The fact you said Okada is like Roman makes me love this list, lol, and the fact Suzuki is in a league of his own is amazing. I actually somewhat agree with most your picks.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
"News" 1 / "News" 2 / "News" 3

Apparently, Tama Tonga and Roman have a beef with one another and truth be told Tama would win against Roman because of Tama being King Haku's son.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Being a Naito fan is pure patience...

Dare I say you need to be Tranquilo.

And I gotta see the matches I missed. Curse time zones and working multiple jobs during the G1!!!

From what I heard, Omega/Ibushi was hard hitting and feely. The best kind of wrestling.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
Dare I say you need to be Tranquilo.

And I gotta see the matches I missed. Curse time zones and working multiple jobs during the G1!!!

From what I heard, Omega/Ibushi was hard hitting and feely. The best kind of wrestling.

Watch Omega/Ishii if anything. Actually watch all the Ishii matches. He was MVP this year.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Forget the rest of the G1, C-Block is where it at!

Snowman1

Reaction score
I'm floored by who won. Shocked and all but the best think about the G1 this year was that with SIX people alive on the last few days, each one had their own story. Kenny Omega could win because he's the champ and he is hard to beat. Jay White's evil ways could poison puro, cause further dissention among CHAOS especially with Okada winning to give him the A-Block win (and a rematch with Omega, who he won the US Title from before), Okada setting aside the balloons and yells of Scooby Doo to become the god-tier star he was just a few short months ago, Naito's quest for redemption and a shot at Kenny's IWGP Championship and the validation his tranquilo little heart has craved for 5 years, Kota Ibushi's date with his tag partner on New Japan's biggest stage, and the Ace having one last shot at glory despite being past his prime... There is no wrong decision, only positivity (though go Naito!). And that's why I've really loved the G1 and NJPW as a whole

Now onwards and upwards to Kenny Omega's valiant title defense against Toro Yano. LMFAO

Reactions: Leo C